Author Topic: GMS Station Vault  (Read 10876 times)

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: GMS Station Vault
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »
Since the area isn't finished, perhaps the connection from the burrower area to the rest of the lower Underrail could serve as a part of a quest. Like, you need to go through the burrower area to access another sealed off area, or something like that, to not make it absolutely pointless but make it considerably more reasonable to enter the area. I remember that ExtraCredits talked about something similar in their latest video, 'negative possibility space', though that focuses more on accidental access to an area that is normally not meant to be reachable. Though it applies to lot of stuff, like this. If the player gets into the area (a difficuly area I might add) but ultimately don't find anything useful or rewarding, it will probably feel like a rip-off.

Though I agree that there should be places that are pointless but also accessible, but to crank the diff to 11 and not get anything for the effort of going through it seems like an odd use of such areas, usually they are accessed through unconventional means such as map geometry errors but to have an area like that with conventional game mechanics can be seen as a designed challenge rather than just a negative space that have been taken advantage of by the designer.

But I'm not going to go all speculative on this since it's not finished, those are just my two cents on the current situation.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:11:54 pm by nackidno »