Author Topic: GMS Expedition - combat always starts with citizens  (Read 576 times)

ikrananka

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
GMS Expedition - combat always starts with citizens
« on: July 06, 2023, 03:45:16 pm »
After killing all of the Raiders (including the Leader) in the Dining Room, thereby rescuing the Citizen hostages, I have found that combat is always initiated and cannot be ended whenever I approach either the Old Citizen or the rescued Citizens.  None of the hostages were killed when killing the Raiders.

Is this a bug or design intent?

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: GMS Expedition - combat always starts with citizens
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 09:12:15 am »
Sounds like a bug to me. Are you sure no one else is initiating combat, like a turret or a left-over raider in the base? In any case, the most useful option would be to send us your saved game, so that we can see exactly what's going on. Saves can be found under C:\Users\[User name]\Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves. You can upload it to Google/One Drive, Dropbox or any other cloud service of your liking and post the link here. If you can replicate that other bug you posted, the dialog/combat one, then a save of that would be useful as well (maybe they're even related).

Thanks in advance, and thanks for reporting the bug.

ikrananka

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 04:45:42 pm »
The turret is turned off and I'm certain that there are no Raiders anywhere on the level.  It is definitely the Citizens that are initiating combat.

I have uploaded a save file for you.  Just enter the ladder room where the Old Citizen is and combat is immediately initiated with him.  Alternatively, move towards the Dining Room and combat is initiated as soon as any other citizen is within range.

I have also included a recreated save of the other problem (combat/dialog overlap) but as I said in the other thread I have been unable to replicate the issue with this save file.

Save files can be downloaded from here:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkusSFHlKO4LoDX0VNsvMS8nDKs0?e=1I5JJW

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 02:17:02 pm »
My best guess is that you managed to hurt the chubby citizen somehow during combat (could be splash damage from a grenade, pyrokinesis, etc.), which made all of them turn against you. He is missing some health, and they've all got red labels above their heads, which clearly means they're hostile to you. Unarmed civilians tend to run around when fighting begins, so they can be a liability if you want to keep them safe.

Regardless, even if you remain hostile with them, there will be no long-term consequences, so it's up to you whether you replay the encounter or roll with it. Even if they all die or remain in captivity you still have the means to progress the story.

ikrananka

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 02:56:10 pm »
Ah - thanks for identifying why this happened.  I had no idea that I had harmed one of them despite my trying to not hurt them.  I obviously need to be more careful in the future.  At least I now know what to look for if this happens again.  Glad this turned out to not be a bug but my own carelessness.

BTW - thoroughly enjoying the game so far.

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 08:00:38 am »
Ah - thanks for identifying why this happened.  I had no idea that I had harmed one of them despite my trying to not hurt them.  I obviously need to be more careful in the future.  At least I now know what to look for if this happens again.  Glad this turned out to not be a bug but my own carelessness.

BTW - thoroughly enjoying the game so far.

Hey, glad you like the game. The way friendly fire is currently handled can sometimes be a bit too harsh on the player, and it shows in group battles like this; it's far from perfect, but it gets the job done. Our next game is going to have a more robust and satisfying system, but all in due time. :)