Author Topic: Need some help for a scientist build  (Read 2906 times)

Rubberbandman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Need some help for a scientist build
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:01:14 am »
I was thinking about making a scientist build (laser and electroshock pistols), but focusing on intelligence instead of dexterity to get the maximum damage out of high technicalities. http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMHBgMKAw7CoG4AAAAAwpY3RgBaS1A6QlAAGQBGAAA5ATkxwponFgIwwodLKD4pWjPCtcKkwp0r4qe-CuK0lAXfvw With 90 ap from temporal and adrenaline you can get 6 laser, 3 electroshock and 2 plasma shots per round. With 14 int and max spec. you can receive 90% bonus damage from high technicalities. And a LOT of bonus skill points. I have 2 main questions about this:
1) Is bonus damage you get from high technicalities additive or multiplicative? For example, is it 288% damage + 90%= 378 or is it 288*1.9=547?
Because this amount of bonus damage almost sounds broken to me
2) With high int i can free a lot of skill points, but i have no idea where to put them. Any advice would be very much appreciated

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help for a scientist build
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 10:53:05 am »
1)  https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=High-Technicalities

2) You've already got some investment in psi.  I'd suggest further investment. Even if you're only using it for support, you'd get mileage out of going another 20 points into Psychokinesis for the psi trap which helps you make great chokepoints; you might find some Metathermics helpful for Cryostasis and possibly - if you can spare the points - going all the way in for cryo shield and exothermic aura, which will let you trivially handle Industrial Bots which can otherwise be a bit of trouble for a pistol build.

You're actually somewhat over-invested in crafting as your build stands, unless you don't want to rely on using your crafting benches at your house.

Rubberbandman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 11:20:11 am »
Thanks, i read the wiki, but i still was dubious about it for some reason. It seems so broken to me, considering how much bonus damage you can already get from criticals with energy pistols. Wouldn't exothermic aura be counterproductive for an ambush build since it will light the user? How useful is persuasion from a lore standpoint?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:33:47 pm »
Exothermic aura wouldn't be a use-every-combat sort of ability.  It would let you stop being on fire (if you're an ambush build, you probably aren't wearing an antithermic armor suit) if something makes you catch fire, and it would provide several useful opportunities, like kiting Industrial Bots and letting them waste their flamethrower on you, or making a lake of fire to dissuade stealthed Crawlers from coming up and saying hello (they tend to wait, stealthed, at the edge of the fire, giving you time to see them and deal with them).

From a strictly lore standpoint, Persuasion isn't much help.  It does have impact on the game world, but for lore, I don't think it gives you anything you can't get via other means.  If you really want to maximize your ability to get game lore, you need to find four more points for Will (or go read the compilation of Mysterious Pillar text).

Rubberbandman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 02:50:53 pm »
Thank you again! I guess i'll go full metathermics, since it also gives you thermodynamic destabilization, although i'm not sure if it will be all that useful with critically hitting grenades. Another option is going full evasion and taking nimble. However, i heard that evasion/dodge is somewhat useless on higher difficulties. And usually riot gear with sturdy vest was the best overall armor for me thanks to great melee resistance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:04:46 pm by Rubberbandman »