Author Topic: Strenght Ability  (Read 3838 times)

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Strenght Ability
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:44 pm »
Hello,

i have a Diskussion about Heavy Melee Builds (Sledge Hammer and Netal Amor) in a other Thread and get an Idea through that Posts. A Problem of that Build is often to less MovePoints for the Big Armor Penalty.

What do you think about give STR another Side Effect?

-5% Armor Penalty for every STR Point over the requirements that the Armor needs. Metal armor needs 8 STR and if the player have e.g 12 STR this should reduce Armor Penalty -20% summary.

Greetz

VN

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Strenght Ability
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »
This would, however, also mean that you get less bonus out of Heavy Weight.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:01:37 pm »
Yes but i think thats worth the sacrifice it makes Heavy Melee Buildes more effective.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:46 pm »
Well, I for one don't quite see the need for 5 extra mp in exchange for that much crit damage.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:48:18 pm »
Its not 5 MP. I mean "5%"! 5% less Armor Penalty as you can read above for every STR you have above the required STR.

With a heavy Melee buildthat go for say we 15 STR and a Steel Armor that needs only 8 STR you become 7x5% less armor Penalty thats 35%. That is a lot more Movement Points. And with some good Feats Nimble, Armor Slooping that can be reduced again so a Metal Armor,Sledge Hammer Build is more Mobile. Maybe to OP i dont know.

But that Higher STR let you use better Heavy Armors seems logic to mee.

Maybe a feat that adds that to the STR ability would be cool too. So the Player can choose what he like more. Can be called: "Walking Tank" lol.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:51:09 pm by VaeliusNoctu »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:10:58 pm »
Not a bad idea. I'm obviously still in favour of making it a skill to curb the excess of needless skillpoints, but that works works too.
Maybe on level 18, as a counter to Heavy Weight?

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
Level 18 is maybe a bit to late but i would the Feat made STR Requirement 10 and Melee 75.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:32 am »

Well it depends if the reduction is done before the maximum cap or after.  Any metal armor triply reinforced with metal is obscene armor penalty and alone probably goes over 130.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:03:55 am »
I wouldn't worry much. Combined armor penalty of heavy armor pieces can be WAY over 100%.

edit:
Damn, i've got ninja'ed.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »

Armor penalty exists for a reason, to stop heavy armor being the best armor. What you're suggesting would essentially elevate metal armor to the status of THE armor of str melee builds. There's already enough tools to reduce armor penalty, other ways of gaining mobility and heavy melee builds have plenty of room to pick up skills for CC. If you choose to ignore all of them, well, that's just you doing it wrong.

Arguably, metal armor already is the best option for str melee builds (tbh, it was even before super steel and armor sloping existed) - why would we want to remove the choice of other amors by making metal armor even better? Infused leathers with their unique bonuses and high quality finally brought leather armors back to the table of options, let's not undo this development.

Honestly I would argue this is not a bad thing.  Sledgehammer is weak, dex is always going to be superior for any other melee build, and no other build can afford strength above 8, at least not for a paltry -5% AP.  Not to mention if it is a flat -5 rather than a -5 multiplicative, this probably helps light armor builds as well!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:18:49 pm by Greep »