Author Topic: I've had enough of the Deep Caverns (spoilery help-request)  (Read 10121 times)

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
I've had enough of the Deep Caverns (spoilery help-request)
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:23:32 pm »
Alright, so this is just getting frustrating. I have a crossbow-wielding character who is performing very poorly against the Tchortlings. I'm wandering around in the Deep Caverns, with no idea what to do, not finding anything that I think I need and getting lost in tunnel mazes with worm creatures I cannot damage, nor escape if they happen to spot me. I'm not sure if crossbow characters are just particularly weak at this stage or every character has this much trouble, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to make any progress, mostly because enemies just take so long to kill, and the only way I can kill some of the stronger Tchortling creatures is by zipping in and out of zones every two turns and healing up.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask a few questions. Please don't spoil anything more than what is absolutely necessary to answer.

• What do I need to do? What is the absolute shortest series of tasks I need to accomplish to get out of this place? Do I need to do any of that stuff the Tchortist boss guy is telling me to do?
  • Is there any way the Faceless will ever let me into their areas, or will I have to keep sneaking by? (If it's the latter, I'll stop reloading every time I bump into a Faceless Gaunt, which I've been doing so far just to be careful.)
  • Does the game end at whatever is the conclusion of this Deep Caverns questline (which, I guess, might be killing Tchort, or making sweet love to it, or any other kind of interaction with it - please don't spoil it) or will there be more? 'Cause there are questlines in the Underrail proper that I know to exist but which I haven't done anything with. (I'm just asking because if this is the last section, I'm thinking about starting a new, more powerful character. You have no idea how frustrating it is to plink away at stuff with a crossbow for real-life hours. Or maybe you do, if you've tried a build similar to mine.)

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
Re: I've had enough of the Deep Caverns (spoilery help-request)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:29:24 pm »
For the record, those Tchortlings can be avoided - and should, because they spawn in infinite numbers even when you are on the same screen. See spoiler below.

You need to hide in buildings every now and then to avoid the full Tchort's Eye debuff, which spawns those creatures and also aggroes them towards your direction.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »
I've noticed. I've been mostly running through the maps, fighting nothing, whenever the Tchortlings spawned. Right now, I'm at an area with Faceless guards telling me to turn back (the debuff seems to go away here) and there are two Devourers and other nasty monsters on the way back to the Tchortist base. I just really need to kill at least the ranged attackers there to be able to go back that way. That way to avoid Tchort's Eye is interesting though, and I'll have to try that out. Thank you.

(Still looking for answers to the above questions though.)

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:07:18 am »
Alright. I've calmed down a bit after ragequitting Underrail a while ago (i.e. when I created this thread). In view of that... hmm... your answer is kind of a relief in some ways.

About the Faceless, well, I've roleplayed myself as consistently hostile towards them. Dropping the caged specimen down into the chasm, misleading the patrol near the Foundry about what they seek... the idea being "hey, if you are going to butcher tons of innocent people for your shiny toy, I'm not gonna help you - learn to be civil and not treat other people's minds as your personal property if you want me to be civil with you!". I guess they aren't dumb either and realize I'm not their friend. Which means I should probably fire at will when seeing them anyway. It brings me immense pleasure to take those masked jerks down a notch, heh heh. :D

fxfighter

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 06:24:48 am »
You need to hide in buildings every now and then to avoid the full Tchort's Eye debuff, which spawns those creatures and also aggroes them towards your direction.

I presume by "hide in buildings" you actually mean go down the hatches wherever they are (or anything else that takes you out of the main maps) and wait until the debuff wears off rather than actually trying to stand in a building with the door closed?
EDIT: Ah yes, Leo tells you of that and trains you to slow down the debuff build up.

From what I can tell wearing a Tchortist Robe seems to stop the Tchortlings from running up to you when you have the full debuff though they still spawn on the map and are aggressive if you get too close... either that or their AI just bugged out for some reason. They will despawn though from if you drop the debuff so that's not too bad.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:50:18 am by fxfighter »

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »
Well, I've made some progress. I now have to find a hydro-pneumatic accumulator for the gate, as well as a control valve, and based on some reading I did I also apparently need to use the drop from the mushroom boss to make some sort of grenades to remove the fungus on the gate. These are the 3 things I'm stuck on. Honestly, it's a bit disappointing how frustrating the end of the game is, especially if your build isn't too overpowered (and I wasted a lot of supplies taking out the Faceless base too - I'd say it wasn't worth it, but at least I got a lot of satisfaction from that) and by now, I'd just like to know where I must go to get these 3 plot items so I can move on with the plot. Could anyone help me out here once again? Thank you!

(Edit: Nevermind the valve, I've found that. Damn, that was some creepy and sad stuff in the place where it was held. Now, two more things - accumulator and where to make the grenades.

Edit 2: Got the accumulator too, damn heavy thing. I think I passed that building by 3 times already, thinking it was another one I had already explored. One more to go.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:24:59 pm by Coaxl »

morimoto

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 10:25:43 am »
Hey! Can i ask where you found the valve? I think i've explored everywhere except the building with the suspension cells( forgot the name), which i can't because i have no means to take out dopplegangers.

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
It is exactly in the doppelganger building. At least, that's where I found my one and only valve. Stealthing is the only way I found to get past them - basically, go back towards the exit, patiently waiting for the lone apparitions there to move far enough from the doorways not to detect you, then loop around from there and go for the suspension cells. I'm not sure how it's even possible to take them out otherwise - my guess would be psionics, but I dunno (I'm pretty sure there is some way though because there's an achievement for it).

morimoto

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 11:11:58 am »
Thank you! I've finally managed to open the gate. :)

Waladil

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:04:05 am »
Out of curiosity, how does one become friendly with the Faceless? I've generally tried to be friendly to them, choosing to talk instead of fight whenever possible, but I have killed a fair number of them in what I consider to be valid combat situations. When I stopped by the Faceless camp, they were friendly enough to let me talk to the commander but after the conversation they just said "Okay you can go we won't kill you."

Zetor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 06:45:46 am »
I've just finished a playthrough where I could ally with the faceless... and yea, killing any of them or hindering them in any way will block you from becoming friendly with them. This is what I did:
- Rail Crossing: stealthed to the mindreader without attacking any of the Faceless or their robots (I don't think the robots matter), let him do this thing, Buzzer ended up dying. Letting him die is important! If you save him with talky skills, they consider it you messing with their plans.
- Foundry: did the quests until the chief asked me to talk to the Faceless, so I did... I couldn't tell them what they were searching for, so I talked to some people in Foundry and eventually tracked down that one guy in the cave nearby who told me about the acid hunters and the cube. Then I told this to the Faceless, they thanked me and packed up / left (they gave me some item, maybe a power core?)
- Core City: saved him and gave him a healing hypo
- Institute: full normal playthrough. Even if you get all buddy-buddy with the Tchortists (including warning them of the invasion), the faceless won't really care about it as long as you don't attack/kill anyone from the invasion force. The quote is something like "your previous allegiance with the Tchortists will not be held against you, since it was necessary to track down the cube"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:47:37 am by Zetor »

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:32:09 am »
I'm at RC, and managed to get past the Plasma walkers and kamakazi walkers, and found the trap door, but am having trouble getting to the mindreader. The faceless always find me, and tear me apart.

Any tips\suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:31 pm »
You just need to go upstairs. Wait for the patrolling faceless to walk out of sight, and off you go.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.