Author Topic: Saving should be disabled in the under-passages  (Read 2128 times)

nosaM

Saving should be disabled in the under-passages
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:52:37 pm »
I have found that not being able to save in the graveyard made it a lot more tense, and i think it would work well for the under-passages. Should still be able to save in Blaine's zone and the free drones base.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Saving should be disabled in the under-passages
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 06:49:31 am »
You could just disable autosaves, and choose not to save manually.  A big part of the reason the graveyard stands out as special is because of that unique mechanic - I think the game atmosphere would suffer if that mechanic were overused, especially for such a relatively ordinary part of the game world.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 12:16:59 pm »
well, a real, cool difficulty setting could in fact be able to save only in "safe places"...

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 02:49:08 pm »
well, a real, cool difficulty setting could in fact be able to save only in "safe places"...
Just play with permadeath. Saving would be a non-issue. : D

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 03:54:19 pm »
Pushing your selfish desire to adds up artificial difficulty is always a bad suggestion. That's said, it'll be cool to use "sleep" mechanic as manual saving point

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:07 pm »
first, i may "suggest" or "push" whatever i want here, second, it's fun to see a comment and the opposite in answer of a post i've made, both blaming me for saying a single thing.
Both of you anyway, forgot that underrail is not a chess game, it's an rpg, and in game design following certain patterns to cater some contents to the players is important: in this case, the idea was that the "save/safe point" it's also in line with the idea that underrail, besides the small human settlements is a dangerous place, and the fact that you cannot feel safe everywhere adds to this feeling.
About difficulty in games: spiraling up the hardness to hit your enemies, adding more of them or just raising their stats to make the game "more difficult", it does not actually make the game more difficult, but often more tedious: as i said already elsewhere, most of the underrail players then just adapt their general build to be "more efficient", but in fact they are just playing the game as "power players", or those who use the rules, or bend them, to overcome the problems in the game.
In this way, you just pick stealth as there are no other options to get into some areas and not be instakilled, pick all the initiative feats, build an energy pistol wich is game-wise broken af.
In other words, you're not RP anymore, and in this, completely forego a part of the game and his intents, making the game "easier" actually.
Ah, i know this post won't be useful anyway to most of the power players here, but hey, be happy with your playstyle, but leave the others have theirs.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:56 pm »
How about adding a option at the start of the game where you can choose if there is a ironman mode or not.
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:11:38 am »
How about adding a option at the start of the game where you can choose if there is a ironman mode or not.
And what would that entail, exactly?
You are already at the liberty of not reloading saves if that's what you want. Making it "official" hardly seems to change anything.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 08:47:02 am »
I understand, but idk. A feature that helps with that could be nice.
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900