Author Topic: Skills for Chem/Bio Crossbow Build?  (Read 3849 times)

RightVersion

• Noob
    • View Profile
Skills for Chem/Bio Crossbow Build?
« on: December 30, 2018, 04:32:30 am »
After getting bored with a dex/sneaky knife build I really wanted to try a crossbow character heavy in Chemistry and Biology (I really want to max those out), and came up with this -
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAMHBQUMAwoAFG4AAG5sPUMATGlXRUMAAAAAAAAAamsiTAHCgDUwOB4pJg

Essentially I'm running Crossbow with Mechanics/Chem/Bio to craft the weapons and bolts. Traps were chosen for synergy with deadly snares and already having the crafting skills. Hacking and Lockpicking were raised to effective level 100, and stealth was taken pretty high (110 effective at level 20). Evasion was maxed out but I skip dodge entirely(...)

Now for the weird things and what I'm worried about-
-Since I was starved for skill points I crank 10 Int and don't push Chem/Bio/Traps past their synergy limit (the syngery bonus stops applying at Level*5+15 effective level).
-I drop Dodge entirely since I'm planning to control engagements with traps/stealth and generally stay out of melee. I *think* this should be possible but haven't played a ranged build yet.
-Since I have the skills to craft GRENADA I put a few points in Throw, but can't figure out if 20 is enough to do anything to help the RNGfest of 0Throw nades.
-Electronics was chosen over tailoring for crafted shields/goggles (seeker goggles look juicy with +185% crit damage anatomic-aware/bowyer bows), but I'm curious what people think about that.
-Power Management seems weak, maybe change it out for Critical Power?

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Skills for Chem/Bio Crossbow Build?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 07:07:40 am »
- If you're going to play normal, 90 effective traps is enough. If you want some DOMINATING experience, have it 120.

- Most ranged build are okay with 0 dodge, plus all NVG and some headband have serious 1/4 penalty to it. Meanwhile, 110 effective steath is far away from "high', especially in Lv20 combat scenes. You can just combine high-end stealth leather armor (50 bonus) + balaclava (15 bonus) + Cloaker (45 bonus) to get extra 110, if you dump balaclava/leather armor you can still use powerful cloakers for 60+ bonus, with extremely high electronic it could be very easy for you. But, with stealth lower than 200, sensitive enemy like Lunatics, spiders, would found you out in seconds even 5~10 tiles away (depends on difficulty). There's also bonus damage for Snipe through increasing your stealth. Not to mention you'll suffer strong penalty from Creeping Dread/The Eye of Tchort in DC.
Also 5 CON and 5 AGI is strange, you didn't pick any feat which related to this certain stat score. My suggestion is tweak to 3 CON and 8 AGI (7+1 at Lv8), pick Evasive Maneuver in early game instead of Kneecap Shot/Power Management. Eat Jumping Bean before you activate it. Additionally, 7 INT for Bowyer is enough, you can take 15 PER for reliable Crossbows skill, otherwise you'll found it very hard to actually hit those nasty tchortlings while some strange thing weakening you in all trades.

- As a xbower you are already starved for utility slots, at least 3 mandatory slots (shock for stun, incendiary for extra CC chance, taser for melee range defense) so Throwing is not good. If you have trouble with CC, invest 45 telekinesis and 25 metathermics for imprint/cryostasis. Seeker googles is not a good choice because you always critically hit those trapped foes with deadly snares. Smart ones affect both skill attack and special bolts. Edit: I've tested and I believe it was my mistake. Smart Googles don't bonus special bolts.

- With 110 chem skill you can craft powerful MKIII blobtrap for practical battle and high-end chemgun for money, it's still okay (tho I think it's better to have both mediocre Tailoring/Chemistry). But 110 bio doesn't make any sense, you can only create Regen Mixture with crafting bonus (you can't use it while in DC), but SS drug? Pass. IMO it might be better to boost your bio skill to 130 effective after entering DC around Lv18~20, before that, 80 for bullhead is enough for most part of Underrail.

My personal tweak:

P.S. Cut Merchantile to 50 if you want something much better, and get Huxkey.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:57:05 am by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:28:21 pm »
- If you're going to play normal, 90 effective traps is enough. If you want some DOMINATING experience, have it 120.

- Most ranged build are okay with 0 dodge, plus all NVG and some headband have serious 1/4 penalty to it. Meanwhile, 110 effective steath is far away from "high', especially in Lv20 combat scenes. You can just combine high-end stealth leather armor (50 bonus) + balaclava (15 bonus) + Cloaker (45 bonus) to get extra 110, if you dump balaclava/leather armor you can still use powerful cloakers for 60+ bonus, with extremely high electronic it could be very easy for you. But, with stealth lower than 200, sensitive enemy like Lunatics, spiders, would found you out in seconds even 5~10 tiles away (Depends on difficulty). There's also bonus damage for Snipe through increasing your stealth. Not to mention you'll suffer strong penalty from Creeping Dread/The Eye of Tchort in DC.
Also 5 CON and 5 AGI is strange, you didn't pick any feat which related to this certain stat score. My suggestion is tweak to 3 CON and 8 AGI (7+1 at Lv8), pick Evasive Maneuver in early game instead of Kneecap Shot/Power Management. Eat Jumping Bean before you activate it. Additionally, 7 INT for Bowyer is enough, you can take 15 PER for reliable Crossbows skill, otherwise you'll found it very hard to actually hit those nasty tchortlings while some strange thing weakening you in all trades.

- As a xbower you are already starved for utility slots, at least 3 mandatory slots (shock for stun, incendiary for extra CC chance, taser for melee range defense) so Throwing is not good. If you have trouble with CC, invest 45 telekinesis and 25 metathermics for imprint/cryostasis. Seeker googles is not a good choice because you always critically hit those trapped foes with deadly snares. Smart ones affect both skill attack and special bolts.

- With 110 chem skill you can make powerful MKIII blobtrap for practical battle and high-end chemgun for money, it's still okay (tho I think it's better to have both mediocre Tailoring/Chemistry). But 110 bio doesn't make any sense, you can only create Regen Mixture with crafting bonus (you can't use it while in DC), but SS drug? Pass. IMO it might be better to boost your bio skill to 130 effective after entering DC around Lv18~20, before that, 80 for bullhead is enough for most part of Underrail.

My personal tweak:

I believe smart goggles do not affect special bolt attacks (or other "utilities")?

This is an interesting build, but taking psi powers with 3 con is rather risky. One shot or a grenade hit point blank and you are toast.

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 01:33:26 pm »
I believe smart goggles do not affect special bolt attacks (or other "utilities")?

This is an interesting build, but taking psi powers with 3 con is rather risky. One shot or a grenade hit point blank and you are toast.

Thanks for reminding me. Gotta make a new goggle.
I've been playing Psi-Xbower on normal, 5 DEX/10 AGI, dump Traps, QT→Premeditation, Evasive Maneuver→Blitz, Deadly Snares→Ambush. It works fine for me and I'm nearly in DC -- believe me, Force Field is the best active defense in whole Underrail (well, with some help from the wall).
Only savescummed in some scene like Lurker base (you know, bastards can shoot you with their SR from 13+ tiles away and you can't even see them). Otherwise, prepare a high-end infused pig leather armor is also doable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:49:30 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »
Only savescummed in some scene like Lurker base (you know, bastards can shoot you with their SR from 13+ tiles away and you can't even see them). Otherwise, prepare a high-end infused pig leather armor is also doable.
With a High/High Shield Emitter and about 50% mechanical resist, sniper bullets just bounce off of you.

I do find it annoying how EMP and electric spiders make all my electronics useless...

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 05:52:12 pm »
With a High/High Shield Emitter and about 50% mechanical resist, sniper bullets just bounce off of you.

I do find it annoying how EMP and electric spiders make all my electronics useless...

50% DR is hard for a light armored character without some super steel help, and you're definitely right! I hate spiders since my first dominating run was a energy weapon knifer. Other foes may kill me in one turn but big spiders only need one hit, damn those things! I'll napalm them all!
Nihil sub, sole novum

RightVersion

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 08:51:10 pm »
- Most ranged build are okay with 0 dodge, plus all NVG and some headband have serious 1/4 penalty to it. Meanwhile, 110 effective steath is far away from "high', especially in Lv20 combat scenes. You can just combine high-end stealth leather armor (50 bonus) + balaclava (15 bonus) + Cloaker (45 bonus) to get extra 110, if you dump balaclava/leather armor you can still use powerful cloakers for 60+ bonus, with extremely high electronic it could be very easy for you. But, with stealth lower than 200, sensitive enemy like Lunatics, spiders, would found you out in seconds even 5~10 tiles away (depends on difficulty). There's also bonus damage for Snipe through increasing your stealth. Not to mention you'll suffer strong penalty from Creeping Dread/The Eye of Tchort in DC.

I decided to incompletely dump Agil and skip going for Evasive Maneuvers - since I'm heavily in 6 Int skills bumping it up to 11 along with other changes lets me raise Tailoring to a decent score. I'm taking so much Int for the skillpoints since at this point this is a crafting build. Good advice about the loadout though - that will bring the Stealth score to a good number. I'm hesitant to lower Con though.

- As a xbower you are already starved for utility slots, at least 3 mandatory slots (shock for stun, incendiary for extra CC chance, taser for melee range defense) so Throwing is not good. If you have trouble with CC, invest 45 telekinesis and 25 metathermics for imprint/cryostasis. Seeker googles is not a good choice because you always critically hit those trapped foes with deadly snares. Smart ones affect both skill attack and special bolts. Edit: I've tested and I believe it was my mistake. Smart Googles don't bonus special bolts.

Dropped Throwing, on my current knife build I'm greedy with my utility slots and bolts will take those up. I saw the suggestions about dipping in Psi, I'm already starved for skillpoints enough and honestly don't want to deal with another system. I'm thinking the Seeker Goggles would be useful for getting more 'normal' damage when the target isn't trapped, already have a good crit damage multiplier to work with.

Didn't even realize Tasers were in the game, assumed people were talking about energy pistols ...

- With 110 chem skill you can craft powerful MKIII blobtrap for practical battle and high-end chemgun for money, it's still okay (tho I think it's better to have both mediocre Tailoring/Chemistry). But 110 bio doesn't make any sense, you can only create Regen Mixture with crafting bonus (you can't use it while in DC), but SS drug? Pass. IMO it might be better to boost your bio skill to 130 effective after entering DC around Lv18~20, before that, 80 for bullhead is enough for most part of Underrail.

That makes sense, I changed it to 80 effective Bio. I also lose the ability to process Corrosive Acid Glands->Corrosive Acid, which I care about alot more than the high end drugs. I can still craft with Corrosive Acid directly (not sure how rare it is but whatever).

UPDATED BUILD-
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAMHAwUNAwsAAG4AAG5lOkMATF9SQC1IAAAAAAAAamsiTAHCgDUwOB4mSw

My personal tweak:

Not sure that attached properly?

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:08 am »
It's too high having 151 Mechanics in current versions, you dig, best components are capped at 160 quality so you only need 128 effective Mech, work bench crafting bonus calculated. Maybe you can get 3 160 quality components that literally require 150+ Mech for some crazy stuff, with uber fortune, basically. On the other hand, if you dump Merchantile skill you'd find it hard to gain relatively high-end components (100-110) for mid game because these merchants don't want to earn charons from you (even with higher price). My suggestion is get 25 effective when you meet Blaine, then 50 when you finish Oligarch's task or join Protectorate/Free Drones/the spoiler eye of Underrail.

I'm heavily in 6 Int skills bumping it up to 11 along with other changes lets me raise Tailoring to a decent score.
You saying 11 INT? Pal, you definitely should pick High-Technicalities and Versatility, craft a top tier efficient amplified laser pistol (or smart amplified). You have beautiful crit chance and amplified energy weapon have beautiful crit damage (6~7 times base damage with 48% HT bonus, think of it), and xbow builds don't starve for feats as much as melee.
Edit: an example - my best laser gun is composed by Q160 laser emitter & Q131 amplifier, base damage 20-27, base crit damage 337% (25% from practical physicist). One or two shot big psi-bugs (they have uber mech resist) make me feel dominating.

Didn't even realize Tasers were in the game, assumed people were talking about energy pistols ...
A melee build with high electronic didn't use Taser is a strong loss. Taser could be a game breaker, especially in starting scenes. Some batteries, find a low-end shock generator and a low-end plasma core, then you have 40AP 125% damage output (with opportunist), even a free turn (when there's only one enemy).
P.S. Have backup, it's impossible to miss but resist.

I also lose the ability to process Corrosive Acid Glands->Corrosive Acid, which I care about alot more than the high end drugs. I can still craft with Corrosive Acid directly (not sure how rare it is but whatever).
:P My bad, you can only produce Corrosive Acid through dealing Corrosive Acid Glands, so you need 100 bio and 75 chem (to use your product).

Not sure that attached properly?
I changed URL, it has been properly displaying now. I hate those sites... Copy & paste image URL to your browser is still viable, it's the final solution I think
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:56:34 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum