Author Topic: My SMG/Sniper build  (Read 16414 times)

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: My SMG/Sniper build
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:39 pm »
Aimed shot is great for sniper dabbler (PER <10).
Even those that are unable to use sniper will get great use of it (with high caliber pistol). It also works great with high caliber rifle, when you need that one powerful shot, or when you need to conserve ammo.

To me it is pretty much no brainer feat for anyone with PER6 or higher.

Edit:
To clarify. For me sniper dabbler is a charcter whose primary non-sniper weapon gives better DPS, exempt when special abilities like Aimed Shot is used. His equipment is the sniper of highest posdible caliber and critical damage, only to be used once per several rounds. This kind of sniper gives great synergy to the assault rifle or SMG build and additinal versality.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:17:36 pm by player1 »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 07:20:55 am »
My very favorite sniper build uses a smart rapid 7.62mm Spearhead sniper (24AP) plus a 7 burst smart muzzled 7.62 mm Chimera SMG / 5 burst smart rapid 8.6 mm (22AP bursts @ 7 DEX), so with 70 AP I can exactly fit 2 sniper shots and 1 SMG burst or with 90 AP 1 sniper shots and 3 SMG bursts.
It's a permadeath speced build with Quick Tinkering, 10 agility, 10 perception AND 10 constitution @ level 24. For most players however it's probably better to go for a glass cannon with maxed PER (16), 10 agi and 7 INT for the crafting feats.

Sorry for digging this out but those numbers are wrong. You cant have quick tinkering and 10/10/10 in those stats. Also that glass cannon sniper you suggested will have only 15 PE
Anyways since this is smg/sniper topic i will post mine:
6+/7++/9+/3/9++/3/3
Expertise
Sprint
Aimed shot
Quick tinkering
Full auto
Spec ops
Blitz
Snipe
Commando
Critical power
Sharpshooter
Uncanny Dodge
Evasive manouvers
Nimble

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:48:50 pm by Eldakar »

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 11:11:18 am »

Sorry for digging this out but those numbers are wrong. You cant have quick tinkering and 10/10/10 in those stats. Also that glass cannon sniper you suggested will have only 15 PE

It's possible if he set Str to 3. It reduces precision for Sniper rifles but he can still use them. On permadeath having that Thick Skull is more important than precision, since the game is very deadly and unforgiving. His starting stats were probably something like this 3/7/8/10/6/3/3. It allows you to have Aimed Shot at first level, Quick Tinkering at 4th and Blitz at 10th. It delays Snipe/Sharpshooter up to level 24 and you can only take one of the, probably Snipe since at this level you already can kill most things with a crit.

My sniper was 5/7/7/3/14/3/7. Besides usual sniper stuff (Aimed Shot, Snipe, Sharpshooter, Critical Power) he had Interloper, Sprint, Quick Tinkering, Spec Ops and Commando. To be honest 7 Int wasn't needed, probably should've gone with 10 Agi and 4 Int and take Blitz.

As armor i took infused cave hopper leather armor and infused cave hopper tabi. 120 movement points without Sprint, it was almost like teleporting to any point of the map in battle). With Evasive Maneuvers i had ~500 evasion for 2/3 turns. Killed big bad with one shot. It was fun)

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 10:52:40 pm »

There is no need to raise STR to 5 for snipers. You can leave it at 4 and use rathound barbeque to get a temporary +1 buff. In older game versions food buffs lasted for 5 minutes I believe so it was a bit tricky. They last 20 minutes now which is plenty and you only need to keep a few with you at any time (+ a couple extra for DC). It's also possible to do the same with only 3 STR if you use the unique Rathound Regalia (+1 STR) but it's a risky armor because of +200% fire damage you get. Ancient rathound boots/tabbis can help here. One thing that sucks about that armor is the 10% speed bonus doesn't stack with 10% tabi speed bonus or boot springs. I didn't realize this for a long time.
Also Blitz is not possible before level 24 unfortunatelly. Well it is, but than you'd have to postpone either Quick Tinkering or Thick Skull to level 24 and those are like MirddinEmris said more important.

Total # of statpoints at level 24 is 46 so you'll see it fits. 3/7/10/10/10/3/3. You're right about the glass cannon build though. Max possible PER would actually be 13 here, my bad.

If you go for Blitz I'd say it's easier to play an assault rifle/sniper build than with SMGs. You could dump DEX for a SMG build too but then you have to rely on weaker SMGs like 5mm. 11 AP assault rifle builds work very well with Blitz and adrenaline because of 33 AP burst.
With 50 AP you can either:
fire twice with the RR Spearhead sniper.
throw a grenade + burst once with a 11 AP AR (7.62 Hornet/RR 9mm Hornet/RR 8.6mm Chimera)

With 70 AP you can:
burst twice for 66 AP. Usually good for 2nd turn when you can use Blitz.
throw a grenade + fire two sniper shots. (usually good in dark areas when you're under adrenaline, but still have Aimed Shot cooldown (3rd turn). Molotov causes enough light for sniper Ambush.
With 35 AP (fatigue) you can still burst once or fire sniper once and use medicine.

Thick Skull is amazing indeed but I don't need to rely on it for permadeath. 6 CON + relatively full, strong shield + regnerative vest + Fast Metabolism is most of the times good enough to survive the stun consequences which are getting more frequent in later parts of the game. CON also passively buffs fortitude so unlike glass cannons you can resist stun more likely now and then.

Also in this case you don't have to invest 6 points in STR for ARs. 5 + barbeque is fine and you don't need to save an extra point with the regalia as you'll have 16 PER anyway in the end.
I call this guy Sniper Commando:

3 INT is a problem for crafting only early in the game. Thanks to Uncanny Dodge you can keep dodge relatively low and still be good in avoiding melee pretty well (you'll obliterate them with burst fire + Commando + Concentrated Fire anyway). This will save lots of skill points later when you stop investing in dodge. So leaving INT at 3 will pay off big late in the game when you actually have 16 PER and can still craft all the guns and special ammo (even 8.6mm rounds) IF you make use of player home crafting bonus and Junkyard Surprise. Crafting a shield with 150+ quality might not be possible with 3 INT but it's not a big deal, hard to find that quality components anyway. You can distribute skills something like this:
http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwGloJgVhGGYQEZQDYloQxcYsWAqfbGEkFAFlivCWCrIoHYQckIaDbb8JW0isBFBZQAnORhN8TBEypMpEgBzAgA

[edit]One small tip: In order to use Snipe you DON'T have to be hidden away from enemy. The only requirement is to be in stealth mode so even if the enemy is aware of you (red eye) you can still perform Snipe if he doesn't shoot at you (you'll be forced out of stealth mode regardless if you get hit or not) but thanks to 16 PER (good precision), Sprint and 10 AGI you can sometimes get away far enough for the enemy to waste all his MP and AP to close in. Even easier if the enemy is under suppression. Just remember that you need 10 AP to enter stealth and there is a small cooldown on it. So let's say you're under fatigue, have only 35 AP, are too far too have good burst precision, it might actually be a good idea to shoot once with the sniper, get distance and use those 11 AP left to go into stealth and hope the enemy will just try to reposition. Next turn it's Snipe time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:38:57 pm by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 06:13:25 am »
Does ambush work even if not in stealth mode, as long im in standing in the dark?

I guess high chemistry is for Magnesium Grenade?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:36:38 am by Eldakar »

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 06:35:01 am »
Ambush only requires you to stay in darkness and target in light. No stealth mode or stealth skill needed. You'll notice the difference when your target is easier to hit because of halved evasion. Sometimes it's not obvious though.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:43 am »
Nice. So with 250 stealth which is possible with equipment, critical chance will be 95%.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:34 am »
Unlike hitchance it's not capped at 95%.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »
Any reason why there is critical power in table? Hornet and Spearhead dont have bonus multipler above 100% so whats the point.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 07:49:54 pm »
Critical damage bonus for firearms can be also be improved by the Sharpshooter feat (30%) and Anatomically-Aware Scope (50%). Hornet is better specced for precision with a normal scope, and Chimera for critical damage. Chimera also has incendiary ammo craftable which makes sense for the purpose of Ambush.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:09 pm »
Ok makes sense now.