Author Topic: Animals in the game  (Read 3264 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Animals in the game
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:49:39 am »
Well I have a question/suggestion - I do understand that Underrail world is a place after some disaster. And continuing on that thought I would like ask and wonder how some animals evolved to cope with new and dangerous world. Simply - will there be beasts comparable with Deathclaws, maybe some other intelligent or semi-intelligent animals? Hoping it won't be spoiling a much of the world.

But the idea of mutated hippos/rhinos can't really get out of my head ;D. Also some giant snakes a'la Resident Evil are also welcome... We could also go the other way and get small, horse-like elephants. Maybe with bone armor? Any other ideas guys?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Animals in the game
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »
There will be plenty of creatures in the game. Actually, one of the major points in the world's lore is the development of mutagens and how they were used and misused throughout the Underrail's history.

Just keep in mind, that while Underrail is not a hard sci-fi, don't expect wacky stuff like talking dogs and the like. :)

Btw, large herbivores don't make much sense for an underground environment to me, so probably won't see any of those. More along the line of: insects, rodents, reptiles and amphibians.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
Haha, yeah going into Fallout-like wackiness is a question of choice. I, for one, can really have fun without super intelligent animals. And hunting could be really cool if there will be more animal reactions than just attack or run. Like some hidden foes, waiting for prey to come close by... and animals attacking each other. Living, bleeding world, for once ;).

And about elephant-like entities - I was more thinking about the mutated omnivores, which are easier to feed even with large body mass. Also I really think that some kind of mounts should be introduced - not really for players to ride, but to maintain the story. The apocalyptic world feel. After any disaster which destroys most of technological civilization people will return to using organic means of transport and/or warfare. Technology degrades with use. Without means of replenishing it other ways should and will be invented again.

Just saying ;).

PS. Considering the misuse of mutagens such large, armored beasts could be used in the Underrail past as organic weapons (a'la Resident Evil world). It may be a path to be considered ;).

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:36 am »
Yeah was hoping to see those mentioned "Devourers" from the GMS compound which i think would be the equivalent of Deathclaws. Anyway bought the game when i saw it was like fallout three days ago and played through it. Extremely good for an alpha version and keep up the good work.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:27 am »
Yeah was hoping to see those mentioned "Devourers" from the GMS compound which i think would be the equivalent of Deathclaws. Anyway bought the game when i saw it was like fallout three days ago and played through it. Extremely good for an alpha version and keep up the good work.

You mean burrowers?

Anyways, you guys will be glad to know that there are two more creatures currently in the works and will be part of an update in the near future (not the next one though). :)

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:55 am »
Awesome.. :D

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:18:25 am »

You mean burrowers?

Anyways, you guys will be glad to know that there are two more creatures currently in the works and will be part of an update in the near future (not the next one though). :)

Haha yeah... I was like hell yeah lets go kill those but the head guy was a wimp. Sadness.