Author Topic: Build Advice, TC + Guns  (Read 2329 times)

Guudere

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Build Advice, TC + Guns
« on: February 24, 2022, 01:59:41 pm »
I want to try running a build that utilizes Though Control for crowd control and debuffs while using guns as my main form of offence. I'm new to the game and not really sure where to start or end with the idea so...

Does this idea work at all to begin with?
Which gun type would work best with TC and why?
Playing around with the build planner, I find it hard not to spread my skills. Where should I be focusing? Do I need to invest a ton in social skills and crafting?
What order should I be raising my skills in? Which perks are the most important?

Thanks.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Build Advice, TC + Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 03:01:34 pm »
I'm Potoldski on discord

Easy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 03:16:22 pm »
Does this idea work at all to begin with?

It works and the build linked above should work fine for you. That said, TM also synergizes very well with guns, and gets you access to Stasis and Psycho-temporal Contraction, which are both really strong abilities. The advantage of going TM over TC is that you only need 70 TM, since these abilities don't scale with TM, and you can leave will at 3 as well. You also wouldn't want to pick up psi feats other than Premeditation. So going the TM route instead of the TC route leaves you a lot more  skills, feats, and ability points to dedicate to guns, stealth, or whatever else.

Guudere

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 12:53:21 am »
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into TM as well.

Slightly off topic, but I was also looking into using snipers at one point but was told it's tough at the beginning due to low availability of the weapon type. Is there a way to rush to one early or is it just better to pick something else on first playthrough?

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 03:12:15 pm »

Slightly off topic, but I was also looking into using snipers at one point but was told it's tough at the beginning due to low availability of the weapon type. Is there a way to rush to one early or is it just better to pick something else on first playthrough?

you should be able to buy one or craft one around after a few hours, and you can use other guns until you get a decent snipe
I'm Potoldski on discord

Tatterdemalian

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 09:12:31 pm »

Sniper rifles have a minimum strength and gun skill requirement that you probably won't reach until you're ready to take on Depot A. Plus one of the things that really made guns in general and sniper rifles in particular really shine, W2C ammo, got nerfed so deep it emerged on the other side of the planet. Guns in general are now only slightly more effective against bots, especially nagas, than crossbows, and each caliber can only shoot one specific type of elemental ammo, unlike crossbows that can shoot all sorts of trick bolts from the same bow.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 08:20:19 am »
Plus one of the things that really made guns in general and sniper rifles in particular really shine, W2C ammo, got nerfed so deep it emerged on the other side of the planet. Guns in general are now only slightly more effective against bots, especially nagas, than crossbows, and each caliber can only shoot one specific type of elemental ammo, unlike crossbows that can shoot all sorts of trick bolts from the same bow.
This is not true. Crossbows are not better against armored enemies than guns with W2C post nerf and I have no idea what led you to this conclussion. High calliber guns, which could mow through most armoured enemies (Nagas) without any issue completely ignoring vast majority of their over the top armor, lost around 25% damage post nerf. They are still doing great and idea that nerf moved them to the other side of the planet is ridiculous.