Author Topic: System Tweaks to improve save time?  (Read 1966 times)

cyphercat

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
System Tweaks to improve save time?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »
Currently, Underrail takes 30 seconds to save on my PC. Loading is a breeze though only taking about 5 seconds.
Is there anything I can do to my system (can't upgrade it) to reduce save time?
I really like Underrail and it's just a slight pain, I intend to keep playing.
Would be nice to do something about the save time though.
But all in all, thanks for a great experience devs.

cyphercat

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: System Tweaks to improve save time?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:54 pm »
On a side note, I put 4 gigs of ram in my system today and it didn't speed up the save process.
Not a big deal, but on another note, what would be the thing that dictates the speed at which Underrail saves?
Hard disk speed? Processor?

Every so often I get to play Underrail on a PC with 16 gigs of ram and a 3ghz cpu. it saves in a blazing fast 5s.
The one that takes 30s to save has a 1.6ghz processor and 8gb ram.

Anyway, thanks!

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:05 am »
Oddly, the timing on my PC is different. It always takes 30-60 seconds for the game to start, but saves and loads in just a couple of seconds.

Qiox

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:48:09 pm »
I don't see any difference between saves and loads on my system.  Both take 2 seconds.

Phyroks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:38:55 am »
Speaking of saves, would it be possible to add option to choose if you want save files located in installation folder instead of windows. My windows is not on SSD and its much easier to install underrail on one that moving windows to speed up saves/loads.  :(

Or atleast have this option for quick/auto saves.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:40:42 am by Phyroks »

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 06:49:36 pm »
Speaking of saves, would it be possible to add option to choose if you want save files located in installation folder instead of windows. My windows is not on SSD and its much easier to install underrail on one that moving windows to speed up saves/loads.  :(

Look into creating a Symbolic Link on Windows, you can either download a program to do it or do it via CMD, but it cannot be done in the file manager by default last I checked. A Symlink basically creates a pointer that points to another file or folder, so you can turn the My Games\Underrail folder into a Symlink pointing to a save folder in your Underrail folder (or anywhere else on your SSD), and you'll effectively have the result you wanted.

Phyroks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 07:18:17 pm »

Look into creating a Symbolic Link on Windows, you can either download a program to do it or do it via CMD, but it cannot be done in the file manager by default last I checked. A Symlink basically creates a pointer that points to another file or folder, so you can turn the My Games\Underrail folder into a Symlink pointing to a save folder in your Underrail folder (or anywhere else on your SSD), and you'll effectively have the result you wanted.

Holy shit, thank you very much! It works and was not even hard to do!