Author Topic: Build Help > Viable?  (Read 1815 times)

Triste

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Build Help > Viable?
« on: September 15, 2019, 05:49:13 am »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?CgwGBAUDBwUAAAA8GRkAADwAADwAADI8PAAAMh4AACgxKwgsBsKdwq4awpTCh9-_

I want to know if the build is viable. The idea is dealing with long range stuff with Temporal Manipulation and Though Control (Debuffing/Buffing with TM, using Bilocation & Neural Overload for damage and Mental Breakdown & Frighten with TC) while I close the gap and finish stuff with the spear.

There's also some use of Biology (which will only go up to 60 for the stuff I want) and use of Siphoner Tabi which will be huge for movement and dodge / evasion.

Temporal Manipulation will only go up to 65 or so, to get the debuffing and buffing stuff.

I'm not sure if I should try to include anything else in the build, perhaps some Stealth to close the gap and sneak about hard places like Depot A?

Also I think there are some PSI spears on Expedition so that will maybe make this stronger as I go. Its Spear with PSI as backup.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Build Help > Viable?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:35:52 am »
You'd be fine on Normal. If you're good at UnderRail, you'd be fine on Hard.  But that's not a very good build concept, and it's not well implemented.  That character is going to give you a real hard time in places and unless you're looking for a challenge (and if so, then by all means have at it) you're going to get frustrated.

Bilocation, Enrage, Frighten, Mental Breakdown, and all your TM abilities aren't going to benefit from Psychosis, so you're paying extra psi cost on all your abilities so, what, your crappy Neural Overload can crit a little more often?  Tranq would be probably 3-4 times as effective as Psychosis, just on the raw numbers, for your build concept.

Don't use Thought Control as your primary damage dealer. It's not strong in the first place, and it's useless against robots.  If you absolutely must use TC as your primary psi nuke, then at least put some points into Throwing and pick up Grenadier so you can lob EMPs and HE grenades to your heart's content.

Your stats are a mess. Your feats are all wrong (Recklessness for a psi build? So you can just eat a lot more crits while you try to close, I assume - but if spear is for finishing off, you're not going to get enough use out of it to need a little more melee crit - just make a bunch of Focus Stim instead).  It's not a good build.  But Hard and easier is mechanically simple enough that you absolutely can succeed with bad builds, so if you want to make this character work, it will.  Just barely.

Triste

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 09:10:36 am »
Shit didn't notice I had Psychosis (that is not supposed to be there). And it's not a Psi focus build, just Spear / Melee with some Psi backup but yeah I do guess there will be pain against robots, mind there is usually always pain with robots I imagine unless you're throwing EMP granades with every build.

I guess I'm to find the proper synergy between spears (there's quite a few that have Neural Overload and Psi effects, but mostly for Neural Ov.) Also with Tabi and after leaving TM, Biology, Lockpicking and Persuasion (when I don't need to raise the skill anymore because they don't provide much more) I imagine there would be plenty of points to spend Dodge / Evasion.

Would it be better to grab Metathermics or Kinesis over Though Control? (I just want the Psi as backup, not the main damage dealer, that is what the spear is there for to be the main damage dealer. I just don't want to build the usual Shield Spear Temporal Manipulation meme)

Also neural overload gets some really hard stuff on spears like I've said Expedition with it reducing skills and leaving a DoT .
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:12:16 am by Triste »

Triste

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:15:46 am »

That is what I mean with the Synergy between TC and Spears. Also since it's on Equip I could have them both equiped at the same time for even more damage with Neural Overload. And yeah Psychosis wasn't mean to the be in the build.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?CgwGAwMDCgUAAAA8KCgAADwAADwAADI8PAAAMgAAACgkKz8FBsKUwoffvw

Maybe that is a little better?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:26:52 am by Triste »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:50:44 am »
Maybe that is a little better?
A bit, yeah. But it's still not going to make you very happy.  First of all, if you're deep enough in psi to have 10 Will and psi feats, then you absolutely 100% don't-even-argue-about-this need to get Premeditation at level 6. So pull a point out of Strength and put it in Intelligence so you qualify for Premeditation.  Secondly, if you're going to have 6 Dex anyway and be a melee build, then you'd be doing yourself a great disservice not to find 30 points to spare and get Grenadier fairly early - I think you might want to plan for it by level 12, since at level 14 you'll be taking Locus of Control (or at least you really should).

You don't need to go into crafting so early, either. At level 10, I wouldn't suggest you have any real investment in crafting - if you've been exploring instead of just rushing the main quest, even on Oddity you should be level 10-11 before you finish the Depot, and 12 before you're done in Junkyard and ready to go out into the rest of the world.  You're not going to need much crafting before then, and a few more points in combat skills will really help you.  Try to find 25 points for Psychokinesis.  As a melee-heavy build, your biggest fundamental weakness is getting shot in the face while you try to close to kill things; a Force Field is placeable perfect cover and used well will save your life a lot, even if you don't want the Force User feat.

Also since it's on Equip I could have them both equiped at the same time for even more damage with Neural Overload.
No, it doesn't work like that.