Author Topic: Reglade's Cave Wizard Console Cowboy(DOMINATING)  (Read 5405 times)

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Reglade's Cave Wizard Console Cowboy(DOMINATING)
« on: November 21, 2019, 11:28:45 pm »
So the new update brought in the new faction armor, and definitely my favorite is the new JKK armor. It essentially allows you free specialization points for Point Shot, a ability not used very often. In addition, it is one of the few armors that provide bonus's to initiative(combos with gunslinger feat), and crit chance. The Lockpicking and Persuasion bonus is always useful as well.

So I decided to build a character around it, and max my gun slinging capabilities.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUHAwMMCgbCoCkAAAAAwqAZGQAnwoLCgjwyAMKgwqAAMg8ASysBJhdZHls6KiFLwoczETHCtSfCpOKeuwLipI4F4qe-CN-_

I always play on the hardest difficulties in video games, and Underrails dominating is one of my favorites. I never played a pistol character before, and realized that I needed to be relatively close
in order to hit my enemies with Execute, Aimed Shot, Kneecap Shot, Point Shot and Rapid Fire. I decided to forgo Agility and Constitution, and bring Will to 10 and Int to 6 to get Locus of Control and Premeditation to maximize my incapacitate capability so that I can use my special pistol abilities as often as possible. Also, with Temporal Manipulation leveled up to 50, I have ample amounts of movement points and I am able to lower my cool downs for my pistol abilities. Its fun using it to get Rapid Fire a turn early, or use Point Shot twice in one turn.   

Endgame I used a .44 Hammerer with a rapid reloader and laser sight and a Plasma Pistol with the Amplifier and Smart module. With these configurations, I use the Hammerer to accurately burst with Rapid fire(as well as pick off more distant enemies, seriously the laser sight makes a big difference), and use the Plasma pistol for beefy enemies with Aimed shot or Execute. I destroyed Carnifex in two turns with this configuration at level 15. I also crafted a Rapid Spearhead Commando sniper rifle for engagements where I needed extra range and killing power(Savage cave with the million Wyrms come to mind).

Your number one priority in the early game is to get the W&S .44 off Wyatt at Depot A. The best way to kill him(he is REALLY REALLY hard to kill early game) is to level your traps to 50, and make the best frag mines you can and lure him out after mining his yard and throwing a nade to detonate them all.

I used the W&S for most of the mid game, and the crit chance is out of this world, especially when you get to core city and get the JKK armor and Hardcore chips. It falls off later on due to the shitty bonus crit damage, but it jumps back up a bit when you start using specialization points with Sharpshooter and Critical power. Level both of those back and forth to maximize bonus crit damage. Once you get to Upper Underrail, use the Wasteland Hawk from the Lunatics from the entry level Institute of Tchort quest if you haven't been able to find a good Hammerer frame to craft.

I also use goggles with the plus crit chance, and whatever is the highest level Tabi boots I can find, with a Efficient High frequency shield. I also use the gunslinger belt, flash bangs, MK 4 nades and whatever else I need to use for the situation. The JKK goggles are also very helpful for persuasion checks, and for another way to incapacitate a group of humans in case your Locus of control and flash bangs/taser isn't enough. Nets are also good after a Locus of Control mass incapacitate on enemies that wont die after a burst or aimed shot(Carnifex, Eldran) and allows you to continually shoot them after you wake em up after the first shot.

I also dumped 50 points into Biology in order to make Focus stims. With those and Hardcore chips, you are going to be pushing into 60-70% crit chance. With my explosive .44 rounds and rapid fire, I kill almost anything biological. For robots or other high-mechanical armor enemies, the Plasma pistol wrecks them. 7k crits are often with the Plasma pistol.

This is one of the strongest builds I have ever used, and it almost makes dominating easy. I easily wiped out all the savages in the DLC, Aegis and have had no problem breezing through all the enemies in vanilla Underrail, including deep cavern. I decided to take packrat hound over Ambush, as I found I wanted more space for ammo, nades and powercells as I went into the Deep Caverns. Up to you, I felt it wasnt needed as my crit chance was already super high.

Psi allows so much utility with crowd control and cool down management/extra AP that the pistol abilities are really able to get setup easily, especially against ranged enemies.

I role played as mercenary kinda like Conrad Kellog from Fallout 4, or as the protagonists from my favorite movie, The Way of the Gun. Make sure to max persuasion at the character creation(the high will makes it really easy) so that you can get a .44 at the beginning of the game, it allows a super smooth early game in addition with the Psi abilities you learn.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! This was a very fun and refreshing play through. I genuinely felt like a gunslinger.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:03:48 am by goodboyblue »

lyciummusic

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Reglade's Cave Wizard Console Cowboy(DOMINATING)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 11:10:40 pm »
I'm considering this build for Hard so it can be a bit less combat focused. Instead of dumping perception, I'd go for 10 dex, take veteran dex feat and 11 perception instead or maybe even put it into con.

Also, you get stealth but no feat for it. I'm going to take from stealth and distribute it to lockpicking/hacking/persuasion.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:12:24 pm by lyciummusic »

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:34:01 am »
I had stealth gear I swapped with, and it allowed me to do many quests and set up certain combat scenarios. I recommend it, especially since you have to get close to use pistols.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 05:32:49 am »
Btw if you're considering to skip most unnecessary combat, keep in mind that Oddities XP exists. It's quite doable, albeit very limiting before drill parts quest (can only go up to lv 9 vs 11 on classic w/ kill-all mindset)
After that, you could grind faster (or at least as fast) than classic, implying you know where to look, since there's handful of 2-3 XP scattered here and there

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »
A short remark for build based on dex weapon, it is sometimes a good alternative to think of max dex + versatility + max melee. it will bring almost the same gun skills (equivalent to per 13) but with much more shot per round (15ap for .44 or something alike), free stats points from Per, higher initiatives and good skills synergies (Lock picking, pick pocketing, throwing, Traps). The loss is only on detection.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 12:36:37 am »
The loss is only on detection.
And a handful of feats.. It still need 6 Per for point shot, and you lose Sharpshooter on 10 Per. Idk if it's worth going max dex in this case, probably it works best for SMG, as pointed by Apostrophe' 19 Dex build

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
+ Aimed shot + steadfast aim not working as good (Not sure how it works)... I missed that point.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 08:56:36 am »
Steadfast aim isn't that good compared to higher dex for more attack/turn imo. But that 30% crit before crit power tho