Author Topic: Is this Build good for Hard/Dominating  (Read 3347 times)

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Is this Build good for Hard/Dominating
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:19:26 am »
As the title says is [Link] Build viable for Hard/Dominating or not. I used the Temporal Spam Build from NerdCommando as Template.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgQHBwQECwkAAAAAAADCoFdbAMKgNXs0e1EARgDCoB4AWithKD8OwoYwFMKIwodXOWQkHcK3wrpy4rGMCuKxoAXfvw

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Build good for Hard/Dominating
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:07:04 am »
It's good enough to succeed if played well, but it's a terrible build.  You're massively overinvested in several skills, you have 4s in several stats that don't even have associated skills in your build, you're running a 13 Will pure psi build with only 1.5 psi schools, and you don't even have Premeditation.

It's a hot mess.  It's just really, really bad.  But psi is very powerful and the game isn't all that hard once you learn what to do, so, yeah.  You could certainly make that work on Hard, and if you played very well, or savescummed mightily, you could clear DOMINATING, too.

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:33:19 am »
The Funny thing is I do not plan on using this Build for anything other than Normal, but part of this mess is because I wanted the Regenerative Vest (w/ Psi beetle for more Psi), and the lockping+Hacking is for All those locked things. Also, I point out the Trap and Stealth skill for some hit and run tactics.
You can Improve that Build if you want to, considering my only Focus on this Build was the Temporal Distortion, Trapping, the Regenerative Vest, and the Psi Headbands with Stealth, Merchantile and Speech as Support.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:59:13 pm by Markus »

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:35:21 pm »
In general, you should check out AverageGortsby's build guide for PSI to get pointers what could be improved to make the build less frustrating.

Specific points on temporal distortion build (I've played one on dominating): you cannot quickly kill things and the spreading of it (is this a COVID build?) is underwhelming. While you wait for things to die, you need to somehow survive. So Force User way early would allow to hide behind a long wall of force. Picking Locus of Control to use Mental subversion to keep people stunned works extremely well (especially since temporal distortion stacking does not break it). In addition, using a Tranquility build for reduced casting cost of Temporal Distortion allows quicker stacking. Temporal distortion really synergizes well with Thought Control (Fear, Mental Breakdown etc.) and that's a psi school you should maximize, same as your WIL score.

It's fun seeing a group of people all get the temporal bug, but I found it rather tedious, because you move to a fight, you get carpal tunnel from stacking the distortion, and then ... you wait... :D

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »
So it should look more like this [ http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMEBAYDEAoAAAAAAAB4SXIAAENqAGpqwqDCoADCoBIARytQNj_ChhQqZMKIIcKHZ1cjDnLCt8K64qGaBeKxjArfvw ] then?
Edit: I have redone the Build (because the link didn't work right) but I believe Stealth is too high but what do you mean w/ Level more in Temporal?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:57:11 pm by Markus »

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:32:41 pm »
I'd say yes, much better. If you plan on spamming temporal distortion, you'd probably want to max the temporal skill too, as its damages scales in skill. You are still way above necessary thresholds for the crafting skills and persuasion.

On normal and hard, dodge/evasion could help; and or stealth, to initiate fights on your terms. But that's all depending on how you want to play.

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 05:40:18 pm »
Actually, what is a Good amount of Stealth for this Build? 160, 100, 50 or what?

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:38:54 am »
Depends how you want to play it. 120 should be plenty for most situations to start out of stealth, maybe even in heavier armor (tac vests can get heavy). If you want to run around in stealth a lot to scout the map before initiating combat on your terms, maxing it is better. If points are scarce, less would work too, if you bring along stealth gear you crafted (a lot of stuff can give you a bonus to stealth).

I love stealthy characters and hate heavy armor, so I always max stealth. Thought Control has good synergy with a stealthy play style as neural overload is completely silent. TK Punch and Temporal Distortion aren't very loud as well IIRC (there's a wiki entry on noise). What I also like about stealth is it can help you avoid tedious or overly difficult fights, something to ponder if you don't know the game yet. For instance, Depot A (you know it once you get there) is considered very difficult and it comes early on, where a build doesn't have a lot of options yet. But you can stealth past everybody there with high stealth and completely avoid all the enemies that annoy you. I like that about stealth a lot.

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
That's good to know so I guess I'll go w/ 120 Stealth and put the rest 20-ish Points into mechanics. But what I wonder is if I stack temporal Distortion say 3 times, and it triggers how would it Interact w/ Continuum Ripple because it says on the Wiki [ When your temporal distortion triggers, it has 25% chance to be applied to each nearby enemy. This can only happen once per status effect. ]. Also what happens if I tag 2 Enemy in Different Rounds/Turns and the first Temporal triggers the Ripple since I assume it tags everything in a radius around the Target, would it then go towards the 2 Tagged Enemy's Temporal counter or create a new counter? ( I need to ask because the Last time I played this game I used a default AR-Build and just did the Main quest line, so I don't know the Mechanics of the Temporal Distortion )

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:19:07 pm »
I think the most advanced counter determines the timer, but I might be mistaken, i.e. all additional tags inherit the timer that has been applied first.

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:33:25 am »
Well I'll see as soon my current AR-Build Run is done, I'm gonna either Edit into this Post or make a New Post on how the Temporal and Continuum Ripple behave. Still thanks for the Help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:06:49 am by Markus »

Markus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:10:29 pm »
Ok so sorry for this Post but it is Just to inform anyone on the Mechanics of the Temporal Distortion mand its interaction with continuum Ripple.
 If you say cast 2 times Temporal on a Target it will count as 2 triggers for the Continuum ripple (Each cast of Distortion counts as 1 chance to trigger the Ripple), but I could not tell you the Range off the Ripple Spread so just assume that it is only 1 free space between the "Center" and further Enemy's.
So it is best to Lure the enemy's into tight hallways or paths and target the middle or most center one for good Spread chances or you spread the Distortion Casts among Multiple Enemy's. You can also cast further Distortion on Ripple "Victims" to create more Chances to further spread.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:12:38 pm by Markus »