Author Topic: crafting of rifles and shields are useless  (Read 14133 times)

tenim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
crafting of rifles and shields are useless
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:39:02 pm »
change this fucking forum software. i have write 30 minutes? a post, the prewiev was ok and than he cutting me off the entire text.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:41:27 pm by tenim »

tenim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: crafting of rifles and shields are useless
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
it is my second playtrough and it is the same like the last one:
i invested a significant amount of points to mechanics and electronics to craft my own sniper, assault and shield but...
NEVER ever i had the chance to buy components (regardless which trader -i have tried all) that have components that results (after crafting) in better gear than the ones i can buy or found many levels before!!! NEVER. and this is VERY frustraiting. an example:
i'm level 17 and have buyed a chimera assault rifle frame with quality 101, required mechanics 96.
the max. possible mechanics crafting skill on level 17 level is: 95+15 (workbench bonus core city house)=110
the crafted assault rifle has this stats: damage 22-41
i have found a assault rifle (looting an enemy) on level 13? that had this stats: 18-51.
the same with sniper rifles/frames and shields. it is impossible to craft you own stuff with better stats then the ones you can buy or loot from enemies. PLEASE CHANGE THAT. i am level 17 and the shield emitters i can buy are "electronics 40", i have 90.
but even with 90 they does not com close to the ones you can find/loot with level 13.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:46:36 am by tenim »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:49 pm »
change this fucking forum software. i have write 30 minutes? a post, the prewiev was ok and than he cutting me off the entire text.
Works fine for me.

And about for the crafted rifles bing useless, you have no idea how wrong you are. Crafted gear is better than anything you can find/buy and most uniques since:

-Items found/bought in shops rarely have more than 80+ quality parts, you can find 120+ parts to craft with

-Crafting feats further increase quality/stats of crafted gear

-You get to choose what mods to install, you can install 2 of them, and best mods are craft-only

-some frame types are are also craft-only

As for the shields, you made me chuckle. Just going to leave this here, good luck finding/buying a shield that even gets close to that.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:19 pm »
Thias is basicly what I've said to be the problem of crafting back a few years ago. Crafting has the problem of not keeping youahead of the curve. When you get to end game, you can craft better stuff than you can find or buy, but until end game, you're just accumulating points for nothing as you'll always find better or buy better than you can sell.

While I won't deny that end game crafted stuff is better, I would debate the usefulness of crafting throughout the whole game. Do we really want crafting to be used only for the small percentage of the end game or do we want crafting to be what it is expected to be, to ALWAYS keep you ahead of the curve in reguards of what you can find/buy?

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:03:17 pm »
i have write 30 minutes? a post, the prewiev was ok and than he cutting me off the entire text.
It usually takes me 1-2 hours to write an email, and if I'm using some kind of webmail it's frustrating when that gets lost due to buggy back end, or poor hyperlink placement. So 30 minutes loss is a bit annoying. I use Form History Control as a result. Lazarus sounded good but I could never get it to function. If you use "Internet" explorer you might not have the same range of plug-ins.

Still, when I have made the mistake of writing melee or naive correctly and phpBB has discarded it, clicking the Back button has brought me back to the composition form with my submission intact. In any case, antisocial language isn't going to convince anyone.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:47 pm »
Thias is basicly what I've said to be the problem of crafting back a few years ago. Crafting has the problem of not keeping youahead of the curve. When you get to end game, you can craft better stuff than you can find or buy, but until end game, you're just accumulating points for nothing as you'll always find better or buy better than you can sell.

While I won't deny that end game crafted stuff is better, I would debate the usefulness of crafting throughout the whole game. Do we really want crafting to be used only for the small percentage of the end game or do we want crafting to be what it is expected to be, to ALWAYS keep you ahead of the curve in reguards of what you can find/buy?
After beating the game twice and being near the end of my 3rd playthrough, I can say crafting is consistently useful through the whole game.

Early on it's very useful as you get access to weapons with 2 mods of your choice, and it's very unlikely you would find/buy those so early in the game or even at all since 2 mods are very rare, or even the first weapon at all. I crafted my very first sniper rifle after the outpost quest as I couldn't buy/find one, but I had all the parts to make it myself.

I was also able to craft smart reaper bipod sniper rifle even before Depot A, how may times have you found one so early in the game? I would guess 0.

Mid game it still holds it's own because of superior quality and craft-only frames/mods, which are usually way better than usual ones. Tell me about all those weapons with rapid reloaders and smart modules you found.

Also, mid-game my shield had 700-1000 capacity with superior thresholds, so it's still way more than anything you can find/buy.

Not even going to mention all the craft-only stuff like tasers, Mk V nades/traps,, special nades, chemical weapons/traps etc.

Crafting is insanely useful through the whole game and it blows my mind that anyone could even think otherwise. Endgame stuff is just an icing on the cake.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:39:42 am »
I would ask how exactly did you managed to craft that? Extremely high intelligence build?

Also considering the price of the items it would indicate to me that all the components must have been pretty expensive/hard to find. I can only imagine you cannot expect to be do that on every playthrough.

And while I haven't played in years, there is someone here complaining about something I reported to be a problem all those years ago!

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 06:23:44 am »
Armor with regenerative vest pretty much requires maxed out 4 crafting skills that exist in the game, which is big level of investment for the crafting.

tenim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 08:39:28 am »
@epeli
thank you for saving the post ! i have replaced the second post with it.

Tygrende wrotes:
And about for the crafted rifles bing useless, you have no idea how wrong you are. Crafted gear is better than anything you can find/buy and most uniques

like i sad, not for me. it is my second playtrough and this is simply not true or you have had extremly luck to find this high quality components.
the details:
my char: level 17, mechanics+electronics 95 (highest possible on this level)
buyed a chimera assault rifle frame with 101 quality, which needed 96 mechanics (i can craft the rifle due my house workbench)
results: damage 22-41 (8.6mm)
a 8.6mm marauder rifle i found on level 13 and that i still use has this damage: 18-51
understand?
shields: the best shield emitter i have found/buyed has qualtiy 89 (required electronics 71 - i have 95)
high quality plasma cores can be found but not shield emitters or energy converter.
without a high quality energy converter the crafted shield is only slightly better then the best shield i found.
the main problem is: the merchants sell only crap stuff. most of the time they dont have the needed parts (i.e. energy converter) or
if they have, they are of poor quality, most of the time 20-50 levels under your crafting skill.

can you tell me on which level you have crafted this shield and where you found/get the needed components?

ShadowRun wrotes:
It usually takes me 1-2 hours to write an email, and if I'm using some kind of webmail it's frustrating when that gets lost due to buggy back end, or poor hyperlink placement. So 30 minutes loss is a bit annoying. I use Form History Control as a result. Lazarus sounded good but I could never get it to function. If you use "Internet" explorer you might not have the same range of plug-ins.
Still, when I have made the mistake of writing melee or naive correctly and phpBB has discarded it, clicking the Back button has brought me back to the composition form with my submission intact. In any case, antisocial language isn't going to convince anyone.

is this ironc? fyi:
* i am not an natural english speaker, so i need some time to write a post in a foreign language
* i have used the back button of my browser but the input was lost

@epeli
your second post:
i dont mean crafting of clothing. i mean crafting of rifles an shields without gun nut feat or other feats/int builds.
the problem is to find high quaylity components. i dont have found a decant sniper rifle frame nor a good energy converter or
smart module. the traders simply dont have this stuff in high quality.

please add a trader which sells ALL possbile stuff (i.e. energy converter+smart modules) in high quality.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:54:27 am by tenim »

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:23:34 am »
I often see people here on forums say that crafting is overpowered, but all of them ignore the important details:
  • Only certain schematics are very powerful and only certain components.
  • Some crafting schematics are very underwhelming in most parts of the game.
Instead of blindly defending the current balance as some sort of holy relic, I suggest being constructive and help make a coherent suggestion for developers so they may improve balance without breaking anything.

In my playthrough I used to craft (or at least tried) the following quality based items:
  • Crossbows. Completely pointless in early game, because I've found whole crossbows with much greater damage. Any combination of addons could not justify much lesser damage range, as they only provide slight bonuses. Was able to craft somewhat better crossbows only somewhere in the second half of the game.
  • SMGs. Was pretty good. +25% burst fire accuracy that you can get is noticeable. Also you can put Rapid Reloader on a 8.6mm SMG to make it cost the same as 7.62mm SMG to shoot.
  • Sniper rifles. While I ignored them for the early game (wanted to focus on crossbows for ranged), somewhere in the underpassages I have found an extremely powerful Harbinger 12.7mm rifle, which deals about 84-130 dmg. Much later I was able to find Sniper Rifle frame of the same type with about 90 mechanics requirements (don't remember the actual quality), and it still was about 15% weaker than the early weapon I've found. So basically it means in early game we have weapons with base quality somewhere above 110-120...
  • Shield emitters. Now these are much powerful than what you find/buy, BUT only because there are no whole emitters with a Converter installed which greatly increases capacity at no cost whatsoever. Personally I've found no reason to use any other addon, and if not for the Converter (which is very rare in good quality, but I managed to find one by some luck), shields I could craft would have been much weaker in terms of capacity than those you get as quest rewards in mid game, for example. I suppose you are expected to take Power Management which basically gives +35% to capacity of your shields, night-vision goggles and cloaking devices, otherwise you will never find good enough Plasma Core.
My Suggestions:
  • Add better quality crossbow, SMG and Sniper Rifle frames to vendors (especially early game).
  • Double check quality of crossbows and sniper rifles that enemies use in early game/mid game.
  • (maybe) slightly decrease mechanics skill multiplier for some weapons.
  • Increase the minimum quality of variable quality crafting components as you progress through the game. I know that vendor stock is somehow related to a progress you make in the game (player level?), so the same reference point could be used. In late game shops you just find a lot of crafting components of poor quality (everything below ~110 quality is crap, when you want to craft some half-decent weapon in late game), thus you end up traveling back and forth between merchants in a continuous hunt for components.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:48:39 am by phobos2077 »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:06 am »
There is always the possibility of finding an extremely good item that is better than what you can currently craft, but that's both to be expected and hard to avoid. RNG has it's good and it's bad sides.
It's kinda sad that shields are so one-way, though.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:37:06 am »
There is always the possibility of finding an extremely good item that is better than what you can currently craft, but that's both to be expected and hard to avoid. RNG has it's good and it's bad sides.
It's kinda sad that shields are so one-way, though.
If it was my decision, I would've probably limited the quality of weapon enemies drop. At least it will fix the disappointment from weapon crafting. Difficulty-wise it shouldn't be noticeably easier because how fast you die when enemies manage to land their bullet/bolt/blade on you :)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 12:13:53 pm »
I am also very dissapointed with crafting (I am level 16 now). Trying to craft a decent sniper rifle but there is no way: the ones sold by merchants are always better. Add to that the resulting weight of carried components. I am always discarding things because I am at my weight limit (and I took the pack rathound feat). I think this is due to the fact that my char isn't very optimized for a crafting character. I should have chosen different base values when creating it.
I think this game needs some sort of packing mule: a robot or a tamed rathound...

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
Generally speaking, there are two camps on this issue - those who say crafting is too weak (usually new players) and those who consider it even too powerful or mandatory (usually veteran players).
I would ignore both of these "camps" as they both not constructive. More focus should be made on actual specific issues and ways to solve them instead of pointless flaming wars.

One should not generalize (as being "all too week/powerful") such broad aspects as crafting and doing so is a simple trolling IMO.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 02:55:03 pm »
I think the main issue is that new players don't know exactly how the game works yet and what the possibilites of crafting are, so they assume that damage rating is all that's important, which is oh so much wrong.

For me the strongest adavantage of weapon crafting is customization and versatility. It's true that if you get unlucky with the components you find and very lucky with weapons then bought/found stuff is going to have slighty more damage, but it will be missing all the crucial stuff that benefits your build the most. Let me elaborate:

Tygrende wrotes:
And about for the crafted rifles bing useless, you have no idea how wrong you are. Crafted gear is better than anything you can find/buy and most uniques

like i sad, not for me. it is my second playtrough and this is simply not true or you have had extremly luck to find this high quality components.
the details:
my char: level 17, mechanics+electronics 95 (highest possible on this level)
buyed a chimera assault rifle frame with 101 quality, which needed 96 mechanics (i can craft the rifle due my house workbench)
results: damage 22-41 (8.6mm)
a 8.6mm marauder rifle i found on level 13 and that i still use has this damage: 18-51
understand?
shields: the best shield emitter i have found/buyed has qualtiy 89 (required electronics 71 - i have 95)
high quality plasma cores can be found but not shield emitters or energy converter.
without a high quality energy converter the crafted shield is only slightly better then the best shield i found.
the main problem is: the merchants sell only crap stuff. most of the time they dont have the needed parts (i.e. energy converter) or
if they have, they are of poor quality, most of the time 20-50 levels under your crafting skill.

can you tell me on which level you have crafted this shield and where you found/get the needed components?
First off, you are not taking into account that different frame types have different advantages and disadvantages. Chimera frames have slightly lower damage potential that any other frame, but make up for it with 130% crit damage as opposed to plain 100% (or even 90% on Hornets) on all other frames, while Marauders have big damage potential, but at the cost of wide damage spread. Just look at the min damage on both.
Which is exaclty my point, customization and understading of the in-game mechanics. Without crafting you are bound to use whatever RNG hands you instead of what complements your build the most, and all you were looking for is damage values and ignoring all other factor which are far more important.

Second, crafting is all about choosing the mods you want and having 2 of them. You could install an anatomically aware scope to have a whooping 180% crit damage on that Chimera, and a muzzle brake to shoot 7/9 round bursts instead of usual 5/7, or maybe a smart module that will increase the damage of all special atack by at least 20+%, or the brake that increases the burst accuracy, all up to you and all of them are insanely powerful and unobtainable otherwise. What were the mods on the Marauder you found again? Because mods and frame type usualy matters a lot more than just damage.

As for the shields, high quality components are easy to find as long as you keep your eyes open every time you visit any electronics trader and looting computer racks. No one is saying you need to find 100+ just like that because that takes time and luck, but if you find a 100+ plasma core and a medicore converter/modulators it's still going to be way better than anything you can find/buy. My first shield right after Depot A had 400 capacity, the 2nd one around 700+, and since level 15 or so I was able to craft 1000+ shields with no problems. Just really browse through what traders are offering.

As for the merchants selling crap: Yes, they mostly sell crap. But from time to time you will get lucky and find something great like 108 converter or even 130 smart module, it's just that, as I said before, you need to keep your eyes open.

All my componets are either found of bought, but mostly bought as it's more reliable. Ezra sells really good electronics parts, the Core City guy also has some decent stuff from time to time, Coretech trader is just great and almost always has high quality parts to sell. As for the frames/mods, most of my frames/mods were bought from Core City weapons trader or Blaine, and rare mods from Dirty Tom/Scavengers in Upper Underrail.

I often see people here on forums say that crafting is overpowered, but all of them ignore the important details:
  • Only certain schematics are very powerful and only certain components.
  • Some crafting schematics are very underwhelming in most parts of the game.
Instead of blindly defending the current balance as some sort of holy relic, I suggest being constructive and help make a coherent suggestion for developers so they may improve balance without breaking anything.

In my playthrough I used to craft (or at least tried) the following quality based items:
  • Crossbows. Completely pointless in early game, because I've found whole crossbows with much greater damage. Any combination of addons could not justify much lesser damage range, as they only provide slight bonuses. Was able to craft somewhat better crossbows only somewhere in the second half of the game.
  • SMGs. Was pretty good. +25% burst fire accuracy that you can get is noticeable. Also you can put Rapid Reloader on a 8.6mm SMG to make it cost the same as 7.62mm SMG to shoot.
  • Sniper rifles. While I ignored them for the early game (wanted to focus on crossbows for ranged), somewhere in the underpassages I have found an extremely powerful Harbinger 12.7mm rifle, which deals about 84-130 dmg. Much later I was able to find Sniper Rifle frame of the same type with about 90 mechanics requirements (don't remember the actual quality), and it still was about 15% weaker than the early weapon I've found. So basically it means in early game we have weapons with base quality somewhere above 110-120...
  • Shield emitters. Now these are much powerful than what you find/buy, BUT only because there are no whole emitters with a Converter installed which greatly increases capacity at no cost whatsoever. Personally I've found no reason to use any other addon, and if not for the Converter (which is very rare in good quality, but I managed to find one by some luck), shields I could craft would have been much weaker in terms of capacity than those you get as quest rewards in mid game, for example. I suppose you are expected to take Power Management which basically gives +35% to capacity of your shields, night-vision goggles and cloaking devices, otherwise you will never find good enough Plasma Core.
My Suggestions:
  • Add better quality crossbow, SMG and Sniper Rifle frames to vendors (especially early game).
  • Double check quality of crossbows and sniper rifles that enemies use in early game/mid game.
  • (maybe) slightly decrease mechanics skill multiplier for some weapons.
  • Increase the minimum quality of variable quality crafting components as you progress through the game. I know that vendor stock is somehow related to a progress you make in the game (player level?), so the same reference point could be used. In late game shops you just find a lot of crafting components of poor quality (everything below ~110 quality is crap, when you want to craft some half-decent weapon in late game), thus you end up traveling back and forth between merchants in a continuous hunt for components.
Pretty much all of the stuff is better than anything you can find, it's just that some things are more powerful that others.

I disagree with your opinion on crossbows/sniper rifles, as I again see that just like the others you look at damage like it's the "be all end all" stat while ingonring all others.

Crossbows you find early on might have slightly higher damage than crafts because RNG is strong early in the game, but I assure you that a crossbow with super string and anatomically aware scope is going to be miles ahead of anything you can find/buy in terms of damage, and anatomically aware scopes can be found as soon as you hit Junkyard.

Sniper rifles without crafting are just miserable and painful to look at. All that matters on Sniper builds is stacking crit damage and stealth, and later on letting go of some damage to shoot twice each round. The highest crit damage on found/bought sniper rifles is 125% or 150% on unique AWP, as opposed to 175% on crafts. The highest amount of shots on found/bought ones is 1 or 2 with low damage and only 100% crit damage on unqiue Dragunov, as opposed to 2 shots with reasonably high damage and 150% crit damage on crafts.

Also, you complain about weight problems while also using a 12.7 sniper rifle, which is the heaviest wepaon type with the heaviest ammo in the game. All I can say is choices and consequences, everything has its price. No such problems with my 7.62 Spearhead that still one shots everything.

I am also very dissapointed with crafting (I am level 16 now). Trying to craft a decent sniper rifle but there is no way: the ones sold by merchants are always better. Add to that the resulting weight of carried components. I am always discarding things because I am at my weight limit (and I took the pack rathound feat). I think this is due to the fact that my char isn't very optimized for a crafting character. I should have chosen different base values when creating it.
I think this game needs some sort of packing mule: a robot or a tamed rathound...
As I said before, found/bought sniper rifles are junk solely because they have pitifully low crit damage and can't shoot more than once each turn no matter what.

This is how the be-all-end-all sniper rifle should look like, look at the attached image. Notice the considerably low damage, high crit damage and low AP cost. That rifle one-shots everything in the game with Snipe/Aimed Shot and can do it twice each turn, something I wouldn't be able to achieve without crafting.