Author Topic: These Directions Suck  (Read 970 times)

DunderFail

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
These Directions Suck
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:32:52 pm »
I'm really REALLY trying to play this game without looking up guides, but the directions some of these quests give make it impossible not to.

The first problem I had was finding the abandoned warehouse to get the strange device that disabled the robots. I followed the directions but couldn't find the warehouse. Turns out I had to exit south at a specific exit or else I ended up somewhere entirely different. I do remember an NPC saying something vauge about keeping to the east of the tracks, but I couldn't ask them again to confirm what they said.

Then I tried finding the Bakers. Originally this one was on me since I didn't think to ask the Hardcore barkeep about the random man with tattoos who was the train driver. Kinda obscure, but I suppose that's part of being a detective. What got me was   trying to follow his directions to head into the northern caves. I did so and kept heading north until I couldn't go north anymore and no sign of them. Had to again consult a guide to find out they were in some random cave you could only hope to find with pure luck. Couldn't there have been acid puddles or something to point you in the right direction?

But the worse so far has been Hephaestus Research. I was told it was North of the GMS Compound. Only there isn't any path north from there. I originally tried the Burrower caves, as those were located North, but that is a dead end. Turns out I have to start somewhere completely different, Rail City, and then somehow randomly stumble my way there with no directions whatsoever.

One time is a fluke, two times is a coincidence, three times is a trend. This is a great game, and I realize it's also meant to be a challenging one, but there is a difference between challenging and frustrating. Combat is grueling enough, i don't also have to fight the map.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:57:47 pm by DunderFail »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: These Directions Suck
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:13:13 pm »
Those are pretty much the three trickiest places to find, honestly.  You've hit all of them, now, so the rest of the game should be easy navigating for you.

The first time I played through, I didn't even know you could find the Bakers.  The second time, I thought you could only find one.

But you've got a really good map, now, that Styg et al put serious work into, so you can fumble through and find your way without using guides.  But, anyway - with those three taken care of, your frustration should pretty much be over.  Everything else is rather easy to find, honestly, until you get to Deep Caverns.  That is a whole 'nother ball game, there.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: These Directions Suck
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 11:39:08 pm »
I'm not trying to be that guy, but the directions are very simple. 
*eurobeat intensifies*