Author Topic: Permadeath  (Read 1849 times)

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Permadeath
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:53:01 pm »
Anybody else plays Underrail permadeath-style?

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Permadeath
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:10:48 am »
Yes. Every Player with to much time, no real life and to dump to press f5 or escape and select save. lol

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:31:04 am »
My philosophy is: If you can't lose, you can't win either. If I wouldn't play this way I wouldn't play at all, but probably sit around a campfire and sing Kumbaya instead.  :P
Just like in the real world - Life is meaningless without death.

That being said I totally understand that most people don't like to lose their progress each and every time they die, and I certainly don't mind that a big deal of games are actually designed with savescumming in mind. To each his own. It's for the player to decide how to play a game.

Jamolotl

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:01:34 pm »
I usually aim to play roughly as the developer intended. If that includes permadeath I usually jump at the chance. When a game is designed around the mechanic, it definitely adds a whole new level of risk/reward that when turned off makes the game feel kinda dead. As you say, everything feels more alive when the prospect of death is always just round the corner. Roguelikes are obvious, but I generally always play loot-based aRPGs and grand-strategy on hardcore mode too.

Games like this don't really feel like they were designed with permadeath in mind though, so it's something that I'd maybe try after I know the game very well, but still have a thirst for more.