Author Topic: Help with newcomer build  (Read 3121 times)

QuackersNCheese

• Noob
    • View Profile
Help with newcomer build
« on: November 25, 2020, 05:10:41 pm »
Hi, I am new to the game and I am absolutely loving it. I haven't really played a RPG like this before and I feel as though I might've messed up with my first character build. I tried to go for a stealthy melee build but at times it doesn't feel viable and I am easily taken down by simple critters and thugs. I mainly use knives and occasional grenades/mines if I get too overwhelmed (which happens quite often). I really do enjoy stealth but I am tired of getting melted with a simple "burst" or pummeled into oblivion. I feel like starting over before I make too much progress into the game (I just arrived at Junkyard) if my build isn't viable. Any words of recommendation? https://underrail.info/build/?CAMMBwUFAwcAKAAyABkyACwsACggHBMcAAAAAAAAKycvBhLCozk

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Help with newcomer build
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 05:29:29 pm »
Nothing wrong with the build, to be honest.

Probably more like how you pilot it, really. Although I think that as a really new player a Perception based character with stealth(because you like it) and Paranoia could be better as you will be able to spot a lot more of the ''invisible'' stuff - enemies, traps, ect. You should be exploring while in Stealth as to be as safe as possible and scout as much about the encounter you'll be facing as you can. More importantly - you will be able to start on your own terms, at least most of the time.

Also, take any damage type in the game except Energy; you can become immune to it through armour. Energy damage can largely be soaked with Energy Shields. There's the Thought Control Psi which will bypass your defences and that's it. You shouldn't be so easily disheartened :).

QuackersNCheese

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »
My biggest problem is combat itself; I use knives for the most part and pistols for range. Based on my stats, are those fine or should I be using something else? I've seen in other threads that combat gloves might be better though I am unsure.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:22:03 pm »
In terms of damage - no. Pneumatic Leather Gloves, in particular, can help you a lot, though.

In general, because of your Versatility, try using weapons which benefit from the AP reduction that comes with high Dex - Laser Pistols, Chemical Pistols, Light Melee Weapons, SMGs, Firearm Pistols(that's the least effective category.)

But even then Underrail isn't the type of game where you just put your points into Guns, pick a gun and kill an enemy that appears in an area close by. You'll still die, until you learn. Try to experiment more and see what types of armour/consumables/throwables/gadgets you can make.