Author Topic: Less cartoonish tile set?  (Read 7444 times)

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Less cartoonish tile set?
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:13:01 am »
I really like the way things are going forward in Underrail. New portraits look really nice. However, I find the cartoonish look, especially on floor titles a bit bothering. I know the point of this game is not to look astonishing, but I think with a fair amount of work it could be made look much better. Of course when it comes to aestethics there are a lot of opinions and tastes, but personally I'd really like to see more of the Fallout 1/2 palette. Maybe run a few tests with some areas and post screenshots for opinions?

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Less cartoonish tile set?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:26:49 pm »
please provide some screenshots of those tilesets, some assets need another look at them. Thanks

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:33:51 pm »
Here's some screenshots form Fallout 1 & 2 to get the picture.

I like this darker feel. I think the existing tileset could be improved by changing the palette a bit. Some floor & cave tiles perhaps need cracks and rough edges to add grisp.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:17 pm »
There are also some ok looking creative commons tile sets on opengameart.org that can be worked on if wanted.

http://opengameart.org/content/flagstone-floor-tiles

http://opengameart.org/content/cave-tileset

http://opengameart.org/content/grassland-tileset

Tilesets on Underrail are not bad, but a little polish could add a lot to the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:47:20 pm by RailNomad »

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
Tiles on Flare engine are free to use with appropriate credit. I think you guys should take a look at this one: http://flarerpg.org/media/

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
Some of those look startingly similar. I'm not sure sprinkling a few black pixels on something necessarily makes for a "darker look".
Then again that's the bases, the caves are ... surprisingly well lit.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:48 pm »
A lot of the assets (especially in early game) has been around since some of the earliest screenshots revealed, the cave tiles is one of those. Once all the mechanics are implemented, maybe Stygian will take a look at some of the old assets and replace them, at least that's my hope.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:23 pm »
I belive that what Mac Orion meant was for you to provide screenshots of the title sets you think are cartoony.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:19:56 am »
I belive that what Mac Orion meant was for you to provide screenshots of the title sets you think are cartoony.
yeah i meant that.
Tiles on Flare engine are free to use with appropriate credit. I think you guys should take a look at this one: http://flarerpg.org/media/

I like these tiles especially.

I'm guessing it's about the oldest tilesets by Styg, probably the cave tileset Eliasfrost mentioned. Wasn't there a discussion about the look of the rocks, a long time ago?

There is a bit of distinction between Styg's and Mac's art, but I thought most people wouldn't even notice. Styg's art is cleaner and simpler, but the overall difference isn't huge.
One thing that really pops out imo is the difference between the new realistic skeletons and the old default loot container bones.
Well this is the biggest challenge for me, to keep it in the style that styg already laid out. The biggest difference is that I model my stuff in 3d and render it out where styg was handpainting everything in paint, sure I could do that also but it would take just too much time. Often I go in and overdraw the assets in Photoshop to look more "cartoony", even I would rather leave it the way it was.
So some stuff will be changed, but don't expect a completely new look, stuff that really needs another look on them are the caves, the hallway assets(SGS,GMS) and Junkyard, everything else is just if I get the time to do it. Also I find icons to small, but they are so small so styg can also help out with them and really, better if styg puts his time in making new mechanics and scripting awesome quests than doing some tedious art stuff that just takes time and requires artistic skill to look good.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:29:53 am by Mac Orion »

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 07:34:03 pm »
The tilesets in new screenshots don't look a bit caroony. Great! Thank you for listening to the feedback.