Author Topic: I hate you all [major spoilers]  (Read 37372 times)

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: I hate you all [major spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 08:18:19 pm »
I totally agree the location of the elevator right next to Oculus is a bit much to be a mere coincidence. It might even be the most plausible theory that Biocorp found Oculus centuries ago and the elevator was constructed afterwards. It's just that we don't have much concrete information on it, only guesswork. But maybe we can cobble something together.

If the Oculus existed centuries years ago and Biocorp knew about it, they kept its existence a very well guarded secret. (Well, that wouldn't be too surprising considering its role.) Even IRIS doesn't know about it and just says the elevator goes to Lower Underrail.

edit: just a small thing, but there are a couple of isolated Biocorp facilities near the elevator. Hephaestus research and that bunker with D5 mutagen and mutants in cryo-storage.

For all we know it could be Six's idea, to learn more about what process was used to create Tchort.

IIRC Six said some useful things in the elevator epilogue.
The reason he ended up in Oculus was searching for the cube while tracking down Tanner. In any case, he's there only for a short time - while the cube is in Core City. You can actually get into Oculus before Six.

On the topic of Azif, Six also said he knows even less than he think he knows. (When asked about the Godmen/visions)

hmm, good point. Although size of nearby facilities itself isn't enough for me to be convince me that they built elevator for just to access those two.

If Six was Oculus just for those moments... then logically Six's request for Oculus was to look for the cube.
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

abscisin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 12:03:32 am »
With a title like this and constant discussion, it might look like a heated flamewar from the outside. Nice surprise for anyone who opens the thread. :)

So you are saying this thread at first glance tries to deceive you into thinking its content is actually more shallow than it really is? Sounds awfully familiar.

Maybe. I'm not so sure myself. I also kinda thought the bit about Knight could have been a simple mistake in his dialog, but now I doubt it's an error. Too many mentions of BCAF and other Biocorp organizations operating after Hollow Earth incident and before the reformation.

That is kind of what I meant too. That if Biocorp just split into smaller factions working separately, but did not outright disappear, then that resolves most of the issues with the timeline. Eidein could have been part of the University and selected by technocrats. The Junkyard incident could possibly have happened a bit more than 100 years ago with Wyatt still realistically suspecting he was dealing with Biocorp scientists. And Knight could have been chief of BCAF too.

Lastly, I did talk about Biocorp finding alien relics and possibly alien corpse - which was probably product of crash or progression of ongoing of supposed *disease*. It is more likely that Biocorp have stumbled into Oculus down while they were searching for the alien artifacts, rather than random scavengers found it.

Yup, pretty much what I'm thinking too. Coretech has documents inherited from Biocorp of xeno-artifacts and research data by xenoarcheologists, enough that the Cube was not completely useless to them. If Biocorp carried out any research of this kind, it must have happened before the fallout. Without large-scale cooperation figuring out anything would be near impossible.

And since the pillars were found shortly before things in HE went south, and no one had any idea what they were aside from suspecting them being alien in origin, and the only two non-pillar xeno-related places in South Underrail are at the University and Oculus, I assume they knew about both.

Even IRIS doesn't know about it and just says the elevator goes to Lower Underrail.

Well, IRIS was developed to regulate the Power Station and RAF facilities, and to be a self-learning system experiment, so her knowledge is fairly limited. Most of what she can tell you is information she heard from Bregmann.

I am only talking about Azif's origins. Biocorp has fallen and it is possible that Azif have betrayed Biocorp during the whole hollowed earth incident.
I am implying that Azif may be ex-apex technocrat and immortal based on:
1. Somehow owning Oculus, assuming that Biocorp found it first.
2. Strange interest towards Biocorp projects, as indicated from the Database collection of Oculus.

Sounds possible to me. Would possibly explain the True Sight too. It seems Biocorp had some kind of test tube baby project going on, at least based on what Slavkovic said, maybe even breeding for specific purposes. At least Bergmann was trained for his position as head of AI research since he was only 3. If you want someone to lead your alien-tech spy station, designing him with the ability to see through stealth and disguises doesn't sound like a bad idea. And his mono-black eyes make it hard to figure out what he is looking at. A bit too convenient to be a coincidence, no?

But we don't have any real evidence, so yeah. He is one disturbing fellow though. "I have been watching you even before you met my associates"? Whoa, mate, now wait a second. Jack Quicksilver is one of the very first quest givers in the game. For me he was actually the first NPC I talked to after the tutorial. Why would anyone keep tabs on you pre-SGS?

There is way too many reasons for a man working at an intelligence gathering organization, in the current climate, assisting Six, to want information about biocorp projects.

Let's not forget that near the end of the game it was suggested, however briefly, that Oculus might have been either playing both sides all along, or actually were commissioned by Tanner to steal the Cube, and maybe even tried to delay Six. Whether it's true, who knows. But it's a possibility we shouldn't discard.

That being, the writers didn't actually know themselves what was going on. They wrote it as they went, and left the viewers to come up with all the interesting connections, theories and so forth.

You are not giving them enough credit. What we discussed so far was with a few exceptions pretty grounded, and suggests very careful and conscious implementation.

Some truly wild speculation would look more like this:

Hope mentioned Otis visiting Tartarus prison, and not as a prisoner.
Vladovic talked about the magma level there being higher than usual.
We know from Dyoglash that test subjects were exposed to mutagens at a place called the "Crucible".
And Austein said the Faceless do not like where they are.

Now what would I want more than anything in the world if I was sitting on a big pile of white-hot magma? Why, I think I would want to--

Ladies and gentlemen, I propose the Cube is a state of the art air conditioner.

There. Mystery solved.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
Jokes aside, isn't Crucible just the site where Tchort was? Nothing to do with high temperature, just a metaphorical crucible for mutagens. The console explaining Exitus reagents makes this pretty clear.

Makes sense to me. Faceless mentioned that their "birthplace became grave" of the biocorp scientists - or something like that.
And since Six mentioned that Tchort was immobile...(and therefore needed Eldein and etc)

Of course, this is assuming that Faceless were born within the crucible.

abscisin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »
Let me propose a solution to another mystery: Azif is Otis. Why? Because why not!

A compelling argument, but I'm afraid it has a fatal flaw you have overlooked.

It is positively impossible for Azif to be Otis. Why? Because he gives you information you do not need to know.

Just how bright is a mindshroom cocktail on fire?

Interesting question. How does a mindshroom affect the luminosity of fire? How bright is the Cube? Is it sensitive to light levels and starts glowing only in the dark as a user-friendly feature or does it glow constantly? What color is the emitted light? We need to know more to decide its potential for revolutionizing stealth.

Jokes aside, isn't Crucible just the site where Tchort was? Nothing to do with high temperature, just a metaphorical crucible for mutagens. The console explaining Exitus reagents makes this pretty clear.

Of course you are correct, let's not over-analyze a mock theory where every line involved deliberate misinterpretation, omission of details, and assuming connections where there is none. Took me long enough to come up with it. Although this little exercise in self-criticism turned out to be so effective that I almost ended up deleting the entire post.  :-\

Although now that I think about it, maybe not. Tchort is somewhat blocking the view. Although the scientists were thrown into the mutagen tanks, I doubt the Crucible is the whole room, or going down there wouldn't be too good for your health after pumping it full of deadly mutagen, chosen one or not. Probably that machine he is covering with his slimy mass. Either way, it probably doesn't involve any heating.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 11:32:30 pm »
Ok, I have been re-playing the game again, now that the reckoning of the new version is near.
And time for more backlog of lore knowledge.

Curious... Very interesting indeed.
Quote from: Wasi Abdul's personal computer
W. Abdul: If they come here here, they will separate us, Wasi.
W. Abdul: I can't take this anymore I am tired and and I can brly see And you are hurting me.
W. Abdul: They will hurt you more.
W. Abdul: i just want this to end
W. Abdul: Peel the skin from your chest now. There is nothing left on your back.
W. Abdul: I cant
W. Abdul: You have to. You are not you anymore, don't you remember? Your body is a prison made of flesh. Get rid of it.
W. Abdul: i can't.
W. Abdul: You must.
W. Abdul: I can't do it  why can't I just kill myself I can't take it anymore.
W. Abdul: Don't cry. Pain is but a small price for your new existence. Your freedom.
W. Abdul: i am tired I havent slept.
W. Abdul: You will never sleep again. You don't need to. You are getting rid of it all.
W. Abdul: why can't I kill myself
W. Abdul: We don't want that. We don't want your existence to end. You need to remove your flesh slowly, peel off all the outer layers. What is left is you in your purest form.
W. Abdul: i cant.
W. Abdul: It is too late. Just set yourself free, Wasi.

Does it sound familiar?

Quote from: Tchortist facility monolith
Slowly the voices rise from across the globe. They are irritated at first, and soon they grow angry, furious. But their fury becomes tempered with fear and then... pain.

Now the world is screaming and you soon realize why. Deep in your guts you can feel it - a beast stirs. Fueled with all your desires and fears, like a rabid rathound it claws with increasing fury at the inside of your skin, yelping, growling, barking.

The pain becomes increasingly intense as the moments pass. Your face and your hands become numb, and inside - only pain. You look up at the sky, it's nighttime.

In desperation your hand reaches for the stars. You have to escape or you have to cut your belly open and let the beast out, there is no other way.

I thus conclude my proposal, Theory of "Space Plague".
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:40:06 pm by reinhark »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
Hmm, interesting theory. But are those two things the same?

I always thought what Wasi experienced was an uncontrolled doppelganger / self-bilocation (some INM logs seem to point to this, one example below) and I don't get the same vibe from the institute monolith vision.

Interestingly enough, the only place you can learn doppelganger is from the "fragment", which has alien origin as well.
(and it also causes self-bilocation, even to non-psychics)

Either way, it is likely that this alien affliction is some kind of... psionic abnormality, given that there is no biological link between 2 species. It is even possible that "doppelganger / self-bilocation" is this disease.(since we do not know much about detailed working of bilocation)

If this really is true, it raises question of origin of psionic power. Doctor you talk to at the beginning suggests that this power was recent development, and humans could not have done it. INM and your own experience suggests that alien monoliths boosts psionic power, and IMN indirectly indicates that it granted the researchers with psionic abilities. I doubt that alien's intentions were peaceful. In fact, those fragments could have been part of some kind of weapon... considering the state of the 1st fragment.

It is my opinion that godman gave humanity psionic power to experiment on.

Melinoe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »
Throwing in some ideas, questions and half-remembered bits and pieces after completing the game myself a couple days ago.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or smirk knowingly if I get close to some kernels of truth.  I'd make another thread but honestly, this one has already provided enough food for thought to be worth keepin' around.

Questionwise, how much do we really know about Eidein? From what I recall, basically all the information on him including his identity and reason for finding Tchort all come from the Original Report which is, let's face it, a mishmash of half-truths, obfuscation and outright propaganda. Is "Aiden Travers" ever mentioned anywhere else in-game?

With regards to Tchort itself, while we do get some tangible answers to how precisely it came to be from the Faceless as well as some tantalising motives for why it might not have been as accidental a creation as it first seems(the various logs and emails effectively confirming that many researchers in Hollow Earth were suffering from potentially fatal health complications due to exposure to mutagens, psi-phenomena, etc), but there are still quite a few mysteries surrounding it, particularly if we take the timeline as presented - it would be almost a century between Tchort's probable birth and Eidein's discovery of it, which leaves a rather long period unaccounted for, even if you accept that it would have taken some time for it to reach the state we encountered it in.  I also ponder whether it was truly a hivemind as suggested, or if some particularly powerful.... component individual, shall we say, was directing the majority of its actions. This is of course, assuming we can take the evidence in DC at face value.

Other minor ideas that aren't especially relevant at the moment, but may be at some point:
-Six's mobility power is not a simple move-from-A-to-B, but rather a relatively nuanced Temporal Manipulation power that involves moving through both time and space, giving the appearance of instantaneous teleportation. I'm reasonably convinced of this one, especially with the new expansion confirming such a psi-school exists and even seems to have some visual effect similarities. Of course, if this is true, then it could have some rather far-reaching implications on how we view the plot.
-The fact that nobody seems to know(or at least talk about) why the surface was abandoned beyond the vaguest reasons, even individuals with exceptionally long lifespans who really should know SOMETHING, is significant in some way. There may be someone or something intentionally suppressing that information.
-Dude's apparent longevity and insane prescience are the result of a robust fungal diet. Remember kids, eat your greens. And brownish-reds, in this case.

Think that's everything off the top of my head. I got through the Deep Caverns relatively quickly, only a handful of hours, so there's likely little things I've missed, especially since I never returned the Cube to the Faceless.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:08:43 pm by Melinoe »

Lucifuga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:29 am »

The only other character I can think of that goes into any detail regarding Eidein's past is Abram in Oculus who only really mentions he was a BioCorp scientist of unknown status who founded Tchortism. We'll probably be seeing him in the future as hinted at in the epilogue so we'll just have to wait till then to learn more about him. Who knows, maybe Tchort lives on within him.
To my knowledge I don't believe his real name is mentioned elsewhere.

I was real bummed out that after seeing him die I couldn't take his robe/mask and impersonate him when entering Cytosine Outpost and be like "Tchort summons us brothers!" to then let the sheep be one with their god

Regarding the creation of Tchort, it is strongly hinted by the Faceless Commander that Otis, Frederik Austein's pet mutant, lead the revolt of the faceless who then threw several ((?) Unsure what they limited their pool to. Either solely everyone in the mutagen department, all presently at the Crucible at the time of revolt or everyone they could find in DC) BioCorp scientists into the mutagen tanks which somehow birthed Tchort. IRIS confirms there were plural unconfined mutant assistants though so it may have not been Otis but I doubt it. Otis (maybe not as per IRIS) is the Faceless leader now. The medallion was your prize for retrieving the cube so it is probably some high and mighty honorific invitation to dine with Otis or something.

I don't believe we are provided much info regarding the ~89 unaccounted years of Tchort's possible existence and Eidein's discovery of it. At one point though it seems Tchort has consumed a "High One" seeing that it knows the taste of their flesh and thoughts or at the very least has been in contact with one. Six states High One is an archaic term so maybe Tchort has outdated info by now or is old fashioned. Visions do say they were made anew so who knows.

As current in-game content goes Six's teleportation seems purely technology based to me.
No psi bar and all.

Well BioCorp created UnderRail and ruled it for centuries. Most of the immortal seeming folk were created in result of the inhumane experimentation which took place during/after their fall so it is understandable that they wouldn't know. Things just get lost in time. Even Eidein who has lived over a century claims to have never seen the surface but asserts it is presently uninhabitable. The majority of common folk probably don't know of said surface. Very few even refer to the Old World. That may be a regional thing though isolated to the South since Northerners view them as savages. The closest windows we get to viewing the surface are oddities and visions.
Keep in mind that UnderRail in general is a dangerous place and many end up dead before learning the words to ask why. The famine in particular must of wiped a majority of the population.

I'm convinced that since mushroom brew's side effect is to reduce psi skill/points that Dude drinks away to keep the voices out.

---

Per the library, the last big engagement the Tchortist had with the Faceless was in year 42. Ever since then only irregular skirmishes revealed they still lived. It has been ~15 years since their last sighting.
They got their behinds whipped so hard they ignored Tchort for ~60 years. Then their cube gets snagged and they massacre the whole cult.
Wut.

Tchortist housed/protected/worshiped a being that can kill a faceless "rooms" away merely through thought that may or may not be the collected consciousness of the very scientists that enslaved them only to be practically pacifistic toward them for over half a century but suddenly their battery gets stolen and they end them all for merely possessing it. They weren't even the original thieves man! Surely they must of known this after healing and mind reading/interrogating Lora Baker. Granted they increased in numbers/power over the years as confirmed by Stavros but I still don't see how they ignored them for so long only to now suddenly turn nuclear. The Universities roots were BioCorp too! Keep in mind that after massacring all Tchortist at University the Faceless just camp out of Tchort's kill range twiddling their thumbs. Rubs me wrong I tell you.

---

I find it a shame that nowhere on the official forums are the complete text of the visions recorded.
Since this thread is so well developed and makes mention of them on several occasions I'll just copy paste them here for future reference.

---

Mysterious pillars (Silent isle):

Three strange pillars rise from the pool. They are decorated with glowing symbols that you are unfamiliar with and they seem to hum, though you are unsure whether they actually produce sound or if it’s just all in your head.
Focus your mind on the pillars.
You clear your mind of other thoughts and focus just on the sound of the pillars and the glowing symbols.
As the time passes you lose the perception of the world around you. You can no longer hear the water dripping from the cave ceiling or the insects skittering amongst the mushrooms. Everything except strange symbols is darkness and the only sound is the humming of the rock.
You realize this could be dangerous.
Continue focusing.
As the time passes you can no longer distinguish the glare of the symbols from the humming. They merge into a single feed through which mental images pour into you. You cannot tell If they are memories or just products of your imagination.
You see a man sitting on a throne in a large sphere orbiting an invisible star. Millions of miles below, you hear wind sweeping across desolate landscapes carrying sand and dust. The sand scrapes across a naked man, tearing the skin away and revealing the robot body beneath. Great hydraulic pumps expand the universe until nothing can be seen.
The trance finally subsides. You cannot make any sense of the information that was poured into you and you’re left with only fragments.
The strange feeling that followed you across the island still lingers in the back of your head, though dormant.

Mysterious pillars (Core City):

Three strange pillars rise from the pool. They are decorated with glowing symbols that you are unfamiliar with and they seem to hum, though you are unsure whether they actually produce sound or if it’s just all in your head.
You clear your mind of other thoughts and focus just on the sound of the pillars and the glowing symbols.
As the time passes you lose the perception of the world around you. You can no longer hear the water dripping from the cave ceiling or the insects skittering amongst the mushrooms. Everything except strange symbols is darkness and the only sound is the humming of the rock.
As the time passes you can no longer distinguish the glare of the symbols from the humming. They merge into a single feed through which mental images pour into you. You cannot tell If they are memories or just products of your imagination.
The corpses of Leviathans rot from within as their corpses collapse into the Sun. Machines gnaw and tear at the rubble of the universe , weaving fine thread. On top of a ziggurat amidst the thick forest the reign of the Godmen is proclaimed. The space weave ripples.
The trance finally subsides. You cannot make any sense of the information that was poured into you and you’re left with only fragments.

Mainframe (Oculus)

Suspended in the middle of pyramid a massive glowing rock hums softly.
Focus your mind on the rock.
You clear you mind of other thoughts and focus just on the sound of the humming and its strange contours.
After a while the walls of the pyramid start moving away from you. At first slowly, but soon they begin accelerating. They escape faster and faster, moving light-years away from you, but somehow you can still see them.
Inversely, the rock shrinks to the sub-atomic size. You can no longer see its light, but you can still feel its presence though the humming.
In the vastness of space, surrounded by the pyramid’s walls, a storm of memory, knowledge, and visions rages around you.
Most of them seem to be well beyond your reach, but you might be able to glimpse into some of them.

1. Focus on two large objects revolving around one another.
As a Leviathan circles around a red planet, from half galaxy away an invisible spear is hurled. It warps the space-time as it races towards its target, dislodging planets and shattering stars. This tell-tale signs will arrive too late to warn the creature of its impending doom, though.
For this giants it is impossible to defend from the enemy who can kill by observing. The Eon of the Beast is over.

2. Focus on the nearby superheated object.
The egg is cold and dark on the outside, but as you pass the membrane you can see and feel the hot core within.
Immeasurable amounts of energy flow though the invisible network. So much more than they need to rule their domain, but not nearly enough to change their fate.

3. Focus on the pervading background waves.
Countless thoughts of Godmen race though your head as you let the waves pass though you, but you can only make sense of small fragments.
You sense their fear and wonder as they arrive close by. They lament as they learn their fate.
Morbid curiosity make them descend. You feel anger and hatred as they die. Three are now all that remain.

With a sickening screeching the space around you implodes, and just as quick as it expanded, the pyramid reverts back to its previous state.

Monolith (west wing)

Suspended in the center of the room, surrounded by cables and various electronics, is a half-shattered crystal monolith. It is dark and rough on the outside, but from within the cracks emanates enticing blue light. Life watching bonfire, there is something primal that draws you to stare into its depths and listen to its humming.
Focus your mind on the monolith.
You clear your mind of other thoughts and focus just on the sound of humming monolith and its enticing blue light.
As you stare into the crystal, its light grows brighter and brighter, binding you to everything else. No shadow, no sound, no thoughts – just light.
No it is the light of the clear blue skies above lush thick green forests. You have never seen such sights, but somewhere deep in your mind – you know this place.
A massive structure of stone and metal rises far above the treetops. Its sacred, yet obscene geometry cuts into the skies above. Its dark cold walls have been hardened by millions of years of angry winds and tempered by many sieges.
Impregnable it stands in the wildest region of this moon – the Tomb of the Godhead.
Evil winds that now weep this temple seek to awaken the dead Godhead. They bring word of his people, his children and the sickness that has befallen them… that has *again* befallen them.
Now, gratingly, the many maws of the Tomb open, bellowing deeply. The song is carried back on this evil winds to all corners of the moon.
Slowly the voiced rise from across the globe. They are irritated at first, and soon they grow angry, furious. But their fury becomes tempered with fear and then… pain.
Now the world is screaming and you soon realize why. Deep in your guts you can feel it – a beast stirs. Fueled with all your desires and fears, like a rabid rathound it claws with increasing fury at the inside of your skin, yelping, growling, barking.
The pain becomes increasingly intense as the moments pass. Your face and your hands become numb, and inside – only pain. You look up at the sky, it’s nighttime.
In desperation your hand reaches for the stars. You have to escape or you have to cut your belly open and let the beast out, there is no other way.
The vision ends abruptly and you find yourself back in the real world. Collapsed on your knees, tears running down your face, you are screaming at the monolith.
You take a deep breath and compose yourself. Maybe what you saw was only a vision, but the pain was real.
Mysterious Pillars (Deep caves)

Mysterious Pillars (Deep caves)

You clear your mind of your other thoughts and focus just on the sound of the pillars and the glowing symbols.
As time passes you lose the perception of the world around you. You can no longer hear the water dripping from the cave ceiling or the insects skittering amongst the mushrooms. Everything except the strange symbols is darkness and the only sound is the humming of the rock.
As time passes you can no longer distinguish the glare of the symbols from the humming. They merge into a single feed though which alien thoughts poor into you.
They gather now around the Machine God. It is not customary to do so, for He is not god of discovery or hope, but a jailer, a warden…or, at best, a watcher of dark horizons.
On this day, however, from this point, the Chosen set out onto their greatest journey yet and they need His blessing. The great arch that they’ll travel across will take them across to the other side of His wall.
They will lose much of themselves in the process, but, by his Grace, will be made anew. To sail the black seas of infinity but not to submerge and drown – that is the miracle only their greatest benevolent God of the Machine could perform.
Or they so hope.
The stream of alien thoughts end and you find yourself in the real world again, feeling strangely melancholic.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:56:13 am by Lucifuga »

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »
To my knowledge I don't believe his real name is mentioned elsewhere.
If you read the original report in the west wing of the institute of Tchort, you will see that it is written by one "Aiden Travers". If you ask him for his real name he will tell you to read the original report.

However, as far as Eidein goes, I'm leaning more and more towards him simply being Vovin. It would explain why he's wearing a mask (burnt face), and it also falls into a very common storytelling technique used with very resourceful villains.

Biocorp is somehow destroyed or destabilized (I can't remember if we're ever told how and why, but it might be Vovin orchestrating it through the creation of Tchort), and Vovin disappears entirely.
He later re-emerges as part of the plan with a new identity(Aiden Travers), and "discovers" Tchort, and founds Tchortism. Why he does this I don't know. Perhaps simply as a coup to be the one in absolute power for the next part of the plan (some shit involving the cube). I'm also having thoughts about Ezra and why he is stationed in SGS in particular, when Tanner ends up trying to steal the cube, but this part is clouded so far.

Then the player meets Eidein, and we have the classic storytelling trope where the protagonist is aquainted with the antagonist and they share civil discourse and mutual admiration, without knowing each others' identity. After this the invasion happens and Eidein is killed(appearently), only to have his body disappear later on. This could be him surviving death a second time by escaping into the shadows, and only time will tell what events he will attempt to orchestrate next.

I realize a lot of this is far-fetched, but besides my probably poor memory of the storyline of events and such, I don't see the Kirill Gavrylyuk = Aiden Travers as being too far-fetched.
There's also the possibility of Vovin/Kirill not being the first identity of this man/entity as well. There could be a deeper mythos behind all this.

-Dude's apparent longevity and insane prescience are the result of a robust fungal diet. Remember kids, eat your greens. And brownish-reds, in this case.

If I remember correctly, there are some pretty strong implications for Dude being one of the people you read the chatlogs of in Caerus Residential in DC, but I can't remember who exactly atm.
There is two guys in particular who are friends. You can find one of them as a mutant in the Caerus Vents if you have high enough perception. Dude might be the other guy, which iirc, was a heavy drinker.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:13:53 pm by Megaost »

Twiglard

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 06:52:56 am »
I'm necromancing this epic thread for more analysis.

During last playthrough I started to wonder whether the Underrail system is located in a real-world area.

1. There's Kokoshka being from Russia ( ??? ) or some other central- or eastern-European country. He says he came from Western Underrail.
2. There are these Nordic dudes (JKK). Oculus computer says they came from East Underrail.
3. North Underrail seems to be a generic place with no particular origin to be discerned so far.
4. Similarly South Underrail isn't location-specific.

If Kokoschka is from Serbia and Gunnar from Norway, there's no real-world hypothesis to be drawn for Underrail to be in Europe.
OTOH if Underrail is in North America, it makes sense.

I'm also having thoughts about Ezra and why he is stationed in SGS in particular, when Tanner ends up trying to steal the cube, but this part is clouded so far.

Supposedly that's where some Biocorp members settled down after the mess went down. I'm also paying 20$ for an on-disk "punch Ezra" DLC.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:58:54 am by sthalik »

Draynin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
Since we are talking about theories and story related things here, think I'll throw in my two cents.

TLDR: I believe that BioCorp created the pill that awakens psionic potential in humans based off of the monoliths effects.

It has been a long time since I've played the game for exploring everything. Been here from the very first early access release so my knowledge may be faulty.

So lets start this off, I don't think it was ever stated the exact date that psionics started appearing in Underrail. Now this doesn't have to do with much besides, we generally agree most of the psionics may be tied to the monoliths. What I think happened was BioCorp found some monoliths, saw that they awakened some psionic power in living lifeforms and started to experiment with them, recording data on how it affected people exposed, what kind of changes they went through and so on. They most likely saw that it took some time to manifest these powers. So they started a project to create something that would have the same effect as the monolith but make it happen faster, as exposing people to the monolith for extended periods of time probably wasn't efficient. What they created was a pill that, if the person met the right genetics ( psi potential), would take the pill and it would force their bodies to go through the whole exposure in minutes, revealing their psionic powers. However this forced procedure caused some physical trauma to the body, weakening them slightly ( thew max hp reduction). Perhaps BioCorp fell before they ever perfected the formula, but I'm sure that a BioCorp scientist in the human experimentation and mutation field would work on something like this perhaps know how they made the pill, cough cough Ezra. To my knowledge they never really discuss what the pill is and you never see any of medical NPC's have one, leading me to believe that SGS may have made it on their own.  I further believe this because there are all kinds of medicines and chemicals you can inject to enhance or negate psi powers. Meaning it has to be some chemicals in the body that affect psi, since black dragon can inhibit and other drugs can enhance the abilities.

Also animals can have psi abilities, yet we only see rat hounds and psi beetles, imagine a psi death stalker

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 11:16:33 pm »
Great discussion! Don't have anything to contribute yet, I only have a couple of questions.

Who are we? Who is the PC, that is. If I am not mistaken, we have no information on our past at all. I wouldn't mind it if this means nothing at all, but maybe it means something.

Three Godmen walk into a bar. Tanner, Six, and ...? Who is the third Godman? Do we have any information on this? I am suspecting Melek, but just because he is very powerful.

I take it that there is nothing in the game pointing to the reason why Six and Tanner are antagonists?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 02:16:33 am »
Weird, I just read through this thread today after getting linked to it in a different thread.

Anyway, I recently saw a conversation somewhere else where someone posted a screenshot of captain coltrane telling the player a story of how a metal man appeared in a flash of blue and... I dont remember, kidnapped?  a pregnant woman on board.  Something like that.

Then there is captain rasko (sp?) at the docks in core city who asks a female player if they are the woman who gave birth in his boat a couple months ago, then realizes his mistake.  Odd coincidence.

Personally, I think Tanner is using Thought Control on you to get you to do all these hellish tasks for basically no reason.  Put these all together and you get a crackpot theory where tanner kidnaps a pregnant woman from a boat and turns the fetus into the perfect mind-controlled agent to ....what?  Did he even know the cube wasn't going to get back to him before you were admitted to the station?  I don't know, but you're from nowhere and don't know anything at the start of the game, and you're capable of getting stronger than anybody but the godmen in a very short period of time, and can handle entire bases full of competent soldiers and shit. 

Also, keep in mind that tchort says it has eaten a godman before, and three came to earth.
*eurobeat intensifies*

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 02:30:47 am »
While I'm at it, does anybody have a clear picture of what happens in core city with the damn oligarchy warehouse missions?  I know Ola from JKK has some role in it. 

I did the JKK questline yesterday, and while chasing down Cornell, I passed by a smoking corpse in the sewers.  It was the guy from the coretech questline who you chase down in drop zone, the one who stole the ICDP or whatever it's called (he says Ola hired him if you question him right). 
*eurobeat intensifies*

wrathchild721

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2019, 10:53:02 am »
I'm necromancing this epic thread for more analysis.

During last playthrough I started to wonder whether the Underrail system is located in a real-world area.

1. There's Kokoshka being from Russia ( ??? ) or some other central- or eastern-European country. He says he came from Western Underrail.
2. There are these Nordic dudes (JKK). Oculus computer says they came from East Underrail.
3. North Underrail seems to be a generic place with no particular origin to be discerned so far.
4. Similarly South Underrail isn't location-specific.

If Kokoschka is from Serbia and Gunnar from Norway, there's no real-world hypothesis to be drawn for Underrail to be in Europe.
OTOH if Underrail is in North America, it makes sense.

I'm also having thoughts about Ezra and why he is stationed in SGS in particular, when Tanner ends up trying to steal the cube, but this part is clouded so far.

Supposedly that's where some Biocorp members settled down after the mess went down. I'm also paying 20$ for an on-disk "punch Ezra" DLC.

I am necromancing it once more, since I got a few theories of my own. Playing Underrail as a Serbian person really can be amusing in moments. A lot of the NPCs are named proper Serb names, so we might assume they in fact are Serbian. In addition, there is a guy in the Zone in Core City that says "bre" in his dialogue all the time. You can even ask him what does "bre" mean, and he says it's a word with no lexical content and is used only for emphasis, which is exactly what it means in Serbian IRL. He also states he comes from a place torn by war. Now, if supposedly, the Serbs are from western Underrail and the Nordic people from the east, you know what just might have happened for the game's location to be plausibly in Europe? Maybe the cataclysm on the surface was so big, it shifted the magnetic poles off their mark. In Underrail, there is no way to tell which way is which, so the compass is the only thing you can trust. This theory would also explain North Underrail being the USA as well