Author Topic: Advice on finishing the game (and build help of course)  (Read 3416 times)

Goblingeneral12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Advice on finishing the game (and build help of course)
« on: December 18, 2021, 04:50:16 am »
Hi all,
This is without a doubt my favourite game, the only problem is even with 100 hours I haven't finished it, every time I play I get to a point were I'm no longer having fun and restart to try a new build, this has happened pre depo A and on a few runs halfway through expiditon dlc. So does anyone have advice on how to finish and enjoy the game?

If not does anyone have a knife/stealth melee build?

Shoutaxeror

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on finishing the game (and build help of course)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:42:28 am »
Hey, I'm kinda having the same problem here. I've been to deep caverns with my first op build on dominating (but too lazy to beat the final boss), then I've come to the point where I do have the most fun by creating new awkward builds and trying to make it work. When it's not working, I make a new character. When it does, I want to try something else and make anew character.

This is OK to use the game like this but my knowledge of the game is kinda odd, as I Iack some late game content to it.

Maybe just create a new op character that is not overwhelming to play early game so you can move faster. Or maybe, create a versatility build that is actually versatile so you can use different game play approach with the same character.

Massacre_Wurm

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 10:09:10 pm »
Yep.
I spent like 100+ hours making characters but never finished the game or even started dlc.
But what can you do ? )

Niko

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 04:45:26 pm »
UnderRail is no sunshine and rainbows. It is a mean and nasty place...
it will beat you to your knees permanently, if you let it.
It defines how hard you can get hit. But who knows how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward...?
That...is how finishing the game is done.

DieGo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 12:14:39 pm »
I'm in a similar situation where I've reached institute 6-7 times since reaching deep caverns for the first time but every time I feel more enticed to try a different build than actually finish the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with it since the replayability lies on trying different characters and most can reach their full potential before DC even on oddity. The no-turning-back point doesn't help much, though.

Niko

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 03:23:07 pm »
I'm in a similar situation where I've reached institute 6-7 times since reaching deep caverns for the first time but every time I feel more enticed to try a different build than actually finish the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with it since the replayability lies on trying different characters and most can reach their full potential before DC even on oddity. The no-turning-back point doesn't help much, though.
Gotta say, I ran out of shotgun shells twice in my runs during past two years after the P.O.N.R.
It is fantastic to do the same mistake twice :) And no, no, I do advice you to make it at least once. Just as you realize you are possibly winning you might need to recheck your inventory that you are bringing enough supplies. I do not know what DC looks like under Dominating, because I wanted to finish the game on max difficulty if I ever made it to DC on Hard, so someone else can fill in what might be required supply-wise. Too much might be almost enough, if you play it smart and are prepared to load a save -20 hours into progress. And btw, even if Pack-Rat might seem a waste of space, it is a very solid pick after level 20. Just my few cents.

Merry Christmas, Pipeworkers! <3

Easy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 04:18:18 am »
Bring lots of consumables/ammo to Deep Caverns, and keep telling yourself that you're just doing it for the story/achievement and are ending your next playthrough at the elevator.

Mark The Red

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 10:50:03 am »
Here is my build https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=8041.msg36784#msg36784

After you hit lvl 30 it does get a bit boring but nothing that can be done about that.

You don't really NEED Cutthroat, it's there for flavor and one shoting armored people, although later just auto attacking with critical does the trick.

I would take Fancy Footwork and Sprint (i did not take them in my build). Pack Rat will REALLY help if you can squeeze it there. You do not really need to level Traps, you can just go regular bear traps and be fine. Or you can invest in a bit of Throwing and use Grenades as help. Sure Step + Caltrops are also fun way to mess with enemies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:55:49 am by Mark The Red »

Goblingeneral12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:27:30 am »
Gonna be honest I played your build, most fun I've had with the game. Finally beat the dlc but restet halfway through the college of trocht. 10/10 build would reccomend.

Mark The Red

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 02:18:47 pm »
I had the same feeling after DLC, it was kinda exhausting, because i am a completionist. I killed every pirate and native on the map, because camp attacks annoyed me a lot.
I managed to pull through and see it through until the end, and i am happy about it, i've proven that this is a VERY powerful and viable build. Ending Boss was easier than some DLC fights lol.

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 11:30:30 pm »
The first time I played this game, I went against my instincts and got stuck in a 'role-playing' build of "Assassin."

It was based on those old build videos on Youtube, maybe by Nerd Commando [massively obsolete now].

It was actually very fun from a RP perspective to play a weak glass-cannon knife assassin. I had to scout out a lot of areas beforehand, which I was really good at. I could see and find everything, but couldn't necessarily fight everyone until a later time. Good for Oddity-playthroughs.

In early builds of Underrail, you could use various AP-gains from "Taste for Blood" and so on to make an enormous number of strikes per turn. Easy to stun and kill an individual, but the challenge was, can you do it to 3 people in one-turn? The risk was palpable, but so was the reward.

Took me a while to learn about the noise made by electro-knives, I could have benefited a lot from the stealth of regular knives. This was before each knife type had its own graphics, too.

Anyway, it's a big deal choosing and crafting your knives. Also, the character used land mines when appropriate. Very deadly, especially being a highly-stealthy interloper, you could really rig up some situations in tough spots like the ironheads camp. Needs chemistry for the fun effects of traps, which has been enhanced in Expedition.

Obviously a weak [at first] character like this was using a lot of caltrops and other exploits, but it was really fun.

You can stealth your way through the Lunatics at the Mall to get the figurine, so you don't have to repeat that big fight if you don't want to. You can skip over more fights than some other characters, it's about the sneaking and the choice.

What I really hated was how, when you're exploring some watery caverns away from the beaten-path, there are situations where there are like 3 people and it's hard to get them all in one-turn, especially if there's a stealthed guy too. That was one of the worst parts of the build.

Anyway, there are more armours and weapons and dodge/evasion stuff for a character like that now, so it should be fun. And it's challenging. For the entire game. You have to really strategize for a lot of parts. So it's fun and engaging. And when you go on a streak, it's really rewarding.

-------

Yeah, I have to agree that there's a burnout on this game around 600-700 hours in. Hard to avoid: you've experienced all the content, absorbed all the music and scenery, the story is invisible to you.

Not much you can do about that, except play a weird build.

And don't feel bad about stopping once you reach the Institute. I figure, once you reach the Institute, you've already won the game. You know what to do in Deep Caverns.