Author Topic: Leather Helmets  (Read 1004 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Leather Helmets
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:17:02 pm »
I think there is room in the game for leather helmets.  The first thing I want to say before you read all this is these would be a kind of item you have to make rather than find or buy, like tasers or blast/kevlar balaclavas and tabis.  So keep that in mind while reading. 

If you're not wearing metal helmets, you're wearing balaclavas, psi-headbands, goggles, or some specialty thing like gas masks.  There's no particular item for lighter-armored characters who aren't psi and aren't ranged, except for some specialty resistances from the various balaclavas. 
Edit:  I guess if your armor penalty from armor is low enough, and you have nimble and armor-sloping, you can wear a tichrome or super steel helmet, but that's taking a feat for just a few extra DT/DR, and then there's kevlar balaclavas with their 2 DT (6 vs bullets).

A leather helmet would have two slots; leather and padding.  I see them as not protecting the face/eyes, so no visor (which would infringe on metal helmets too much, I think), so while they give a crit chance reduction, it's not as much as with metal helmets.  I think a detection penalty is okay, but not a perception one.  Uninfused leather wouldn't do much, and they'd give protection no higher than un-reinforced boots, and probably even less. 

>cave hopper:  low mech resist, low penalty
>rathound:  low mech resist, low cold resist, tiny persuasion penalty
>pig:  moderate mech resist, higher penalty
>siphoner:  low mech resist, low acid/heat resist
>mutated dog:  low mech resist, moderate acid resist, moderate persuasion penalty
>ancient ratound:  moderate mech resist, small amount of DT, highest penalty, moderate cold resist, moderate persuasion penalty

>soft padding:  default
>solid padding:  raises mechanical DR and crit chance reduction, higher penalty
>insulated/galvanic:  obvious

But infused leather would give the benefits of regular leather of it's type (in addition to the higher quality):
>cave hopper:  +1 agility
>rathound:  higher mech/cold resist, small mech/cold DT, higher than what it's higher quality would indicate compared to the uninfused version
>pig:  +1 con, small mech DT
>siphoner:  moderate acid/heat resist/small DT, bonus to dodge/evasion like uninfused boots/armor
>mutated dog:  higher acid resist/moderate DT, small mech DT
>ancient ratound:  higher mech/cold resist/DT, higher than what it's higher quality would indicate compared to the uninfused version

And then we have some new leathers to consider.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:50:24 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Helmets
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 03:29:39 pm »
This is pretty good. Though not sure how soft padding on your head (which increases stealth for body armor and boots) would work; I can't visualize it unless your character is a bumbling idiot ;p

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:39:42 pm »
This is pretty good. Though not sure how soft padding on your head (which increases stealth for body armor and boots) would work; I can't visualize it unless your character is a bumbling idiot ;p

Soft padding in helmets is basically just a placeholder; it does nothing except it doesn't raise the armor penalty like other paddings do.
*eurobeat intensifies*

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 10:49:00 am »
Neat idea, it seems the devs shied away from leather helmets precisely because they would stand out for not having the +1 stat boost... which does feel a bit off if it's missing but also too strong if it's there.
I think the helmets would work best if they gave small non-attribute bonuses the way some infused clothes do... like Fortitude from pig leather.

Heck, they could even allow you to put leathers into the Balaclava crafting slot, the way you can make Tabi boots out of either fabric or leather.
Either way they would be interesting, Might make it into the next DLC or something.