Author Topic: Cybernetics and crafting ideas  (Read 2547 times)

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Cybernetics and crafting ideas
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:32 pm »
Something that has always piqued my curiosity in sci-fi has been transhumanism, modifying/enhancing the human body beyond it's normal physical and mental limitations. Given that a few characters have already clearly been modified such as Ezra and Balor (his eye) it stands to reason that the player might be able to undergo such procedures themselves, granted only characters or organisations with the means, resources and the inclination to share (for a price) should be able to. This kind of enhancement could come at more than a fiscal cost, Shadowrun for example has a system that limits the magical abilities of cybernetically enhanced characters so some sort of trade off could be utilised to balance it, it could provide some horizontal player development options for later game (due to the availability and cost). Finally the options could be mutually exclusive in a similar fashion to Deus Ex, upgrade your arms and chose between upgraded strength for combat or the ability to move heavy objects uncovering secret paths.

For crafting it struck me that certain item types could be combined by characters of sufficient skill. The idea was that goggles for example should have very little difficulty being combined with a psi headband or even a balaclava, the catch could be higher crafting requirements, lowered advantages and/or disadvantages attached to both being applied or even increased depending on how overpowered any of it proves to be. The game is supposed to be classless so having a system of tailoring items to suit your needs doesn't seem too far fetched.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Cybernetics and crafting ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:18 am »
You are right about items, except game balance reasons.
As for cyberimplants, it's the matter of the future I guess.

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:31:10 pm »
Well as I said, there might be ways to balance the items, goggles always suffer a 25% penalty to dodge but psi headbands have none, a combined version would obviously have the penalty, maybe even greater (50% perhaps), there could also be a malice towards the positive numbers, universal psi unit usually giving 10 to all psi skills gives 7 or 5 when used in the combined unit and the skill requirement could be significantly higher. There are ways to balance and offset these things (at least in my opinion)

As for implants in the future, I'd definitely pay for this in DLC :)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:19:17 pm »
Some psi headbands do have the dodge penalty. 

Helmets + goggles might be unbalanced mechanically, but it's very realistic.  Also it would let you be a real Jin-roh.
*eurobeat intensifies*

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:20:06 am »
I just want a blueprint that takes a shaded visor and gives you sunglasses.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:36:21 am »
I would like to implement cybernetics. I think it would be a lot of fun. However, the size of this feature would probably be enormous and I doubt I'll ever have enough time to dedicate to a single feature like that.

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:51:52 am »
I just want a blueprint that takes a shaded visor and gives you sunglasses.
I definitely need to mimic this post.
Nihil sub, sole novum

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 06:56:52 pm »
Crafting limits are already because of balance reasons. IRL there's no reason I can't run an Emag, a laser, a scope, a muzzle device and a 45 degree canted holosight for CQB on an assault rifle (if I can afford all the parts).

Of course, IRL a $2000 5.56mm assault rifle will do about the same damage as $500 assault rifle (of the same barrel length); you're just paying for ergonomics, ease of use, and accuracy.

Kendov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 09:57:02 pm »
Crafting limits are already because of balance reasons. IRL there's no reason I can't run an Emag, a laser, a scope, a muzzle device and a 45 degree canted holosight for CQB on an assault rifle (if I can afford all the parts).

Of course, IRL a $2000 5.56mm assault rifle will do about the same damage as $500 assault rifle (of the same barrel length); you're just paying for ergonomics, ease of use, and accuracy.
True, I always wanted to create a Scoped Compensated Smart Rapid Hornet Bipod XM, or a Compensated Smart Rapid Steel Cat XM LS Tactical. I had access to a lot of stuff in my time in the military and you really notice the difference between a basic weapon and a fully buffed one. the two enhancements limit never made much sense beyond "balancing" (why not give the enemy similar weapons instead? The balance will appear all on its own when the additional tools drive up the mech.skill requirements)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 08:32:01 pm »
Something that has always piqued my curiosity in sci-fi has been transhumanism, modifying/enhancing the human body beyond it's normal physical and mental limitations. Given that a few characters have already clearly been modified such as Ezra and Balor (his eye) it stands to reason that the player might be able to undergo such procedures themselves, granted only characters or organisations with the means, resources and the inclination to share (for a price) should be able to. This kind of enhancement could come at more than a fiscal cost, Shadowrun for example has a system that limits the magical abilities of cybernetically enhanced characters so some sort of trade off could be utilised to balance it, it could provide some horizontal player development options for later game (due to the availability and cost). Finally the options could be mutually exclusive in a similar fashion to Deus Ex, upgrade your arms and chose between upgraded strength for combat or the ability to move heavy objects uncovering secret paths.

For crafting it struck me that certain item types could be combined by characters of sufficient skill. The idea was that goggles for example should have very little difficulty being combined with a psi headband or even a balaclava, the catch could be higher crafting requirements, lowered advantages and/or disadvantages attached to both being applied or even increased depending on how overpowered any of it proves to be. The game is supposed to be classless so having a system of tailoring items to suit your needs doesn't seem too far fetched.

You forgot Buzzer who has a visible and obvious cyber arm.  ;)