Author Topic: What will be your first build in Expedition and why?  (Read 25908 times)

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: What will be your first build in Expedition and why?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 01:22:25 am »
Also, "fast attack speed"; machetes are not light weapons if that's what you were thinking.

Doh, that is what I was thinking, thanks.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 02:20:35 am »
I'm considering a Psi Revamp of my old AR/Tincan/Crafter build, but I'm feeling it might be a little too fragile.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HggDAwMPBwfCoAAAAAAAfWR4AADCgsKCMjIASxkAZFAAUCs7JigUFSrCiMKHSUtKUynCtcKkGm3Cnmzin6IF4qeqA9-_

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 04:09:18 am »
I'm considering a Psi Revamp of my old AR/Tincan/Crafter build, but I'm feeling it might be a little too fragile.
For an Ironman run, probably.  If you're willing to reload here and there on rare occasion, you'll be fine.  You will want to think long and hard about the benefits of putting those 55 points left over into Tailoring (and maybe even pulling 15 out of Mercantile to redirect to Tailoring, too) once you see some of the new tailorable items.  Some of them are very clearly designed as counters for new content, and with 3 CON plus psi health penalty, you may find a need to adjust armor more than you had to in the base game.

Krios

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 01:56:20 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a sword and board build.

Does anyone know whether machetes and spears have AP reductions from Dexterity?

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »
They don't, sadly.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 02:27:30 pm »
Brave Sir Robin: a stealthy character who avoids combat whenever possible, playing on oddity. No idea what to take for weapons for the occasions when a fight is unavoidable.

Anyone could recommend something? I haven't played in some time, so I have no idea what has changed and is/isn't viable for a stealth character. I just need something for the boss battles, he'll be running the other way most of the time.  ;)

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »
Brave Sir Robin: a stealthy character who avoids combat whenever possible, playing on oddity. No idea what to take for weapons for the occasions when a fight is unavoidable.

Anyone could recommend something? I haven't played in some time, so I have no idea what has changed and is/isn't viable for a stealth character. I just need something for the boss battles, he'll be running the other way most of the time.  ;)
Permastealth-Psi builds probably abusive. The coupling of Thermodynamic Destabilization + doubled TK punch and/or Cryo Orb will massacre 99% of opponent clumps in the game, if you build correctly.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:19 pm »
Permastealth-Psi builds probably abusive. The coupling of Thermodynamic Destabilization + doubled TK punch and/or Cryo Orb will massacre 99% of opponent clumps in the game, if you build correctly.

Cryo orb doesn't ruin thermdest?
*eurobeat intensifies*

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:03 pm »
For my first effort I am going to take it from where I left off, and that is pistol builds. Hopefully I will be able to strengthen my character with new feats or even the new psi school, but I haven't thought about it yet.  Eventually, I am going to try all new available weapons.

Against my better judgement I'll probably play a crossbow again, with quick tinkering, deadly snares and grenadier (for burrower spawns, The Beast etc). It's a relatively unique playstyle that's very under represented in RPGs which along with stealth nature of the build is the main draw for me. Sure the snipers are probably more powerful but there's something to be said about silently dispatching enemies 1 by 1 if positioning permits.

Oh man, I have tried twice to get a Xbow character going, but I always dropped it quickly. I love the strategic nature of the build in situations where I can survey the landscape and use it to my advantage, but in other situations I often found myself lacking raw power and AP.

Generally, I don't mind it when a build has specific disadvantages. However, I feel that I haven't figured out how I am supposed to play such a build. I would quickly replace it with a sniper/pistol build. The advantage of having a pistol as a secondary weapon far outweighed the Xbow's advantages in my tries.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 05:17:24 pm »
Nice to see mages are still overpowered, lol. Some things never change. :D

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 05:34:35 pm »
Eh, mages are kinda weak against robots, so I never considered them as one of the strongest builds. They are a lot of fun, though.

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:47 pm »
For my first effort I am going to take it from where I left off, and that is pistol builds. Hopefully I will be able to strengthen my character with new feats or even the new psi school, but I haven't thought about it yet.  Eventually, I am going to try all new available weapons.

Against my better judgement I'll probably play a crossbow again, with quick tinkering, deadly snares and grenadier (for burrower spawns, The Beast etc). It's a relatively unique playstyle that's very under represented in RPGs which along with stealth nature of the build is the main draw for me. Sure the snipers are probably more powerful but there's something to be said about silently dispatching enemies 1 by 1 if positioning permits.

Oh man, I have tried twice to get a Xbow character going, but I always dropped it quickly. I love the strategic nature of the build in situations where I can survey the landscape and use it to my advantage, but in other situations I often found myself lacking raw power and AP.

Generally, I don't mind it when a build has specific disadvantages. However, I feel that I haven't figured out how I am supposed to play such a build. I would quickly replace it with a sniper/pistol build. The advantage of having a pistol as a secondary weapon far outweighed the Xbow's advantages in my tries.

I like crossbows because they are pretty balanced, power wise. Plus the Expedition is bringing some cool new feats that have potential to make this playstyle a little more dynamic.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 07:55:03 pm »
Eh, mages are kinda weak against robots, so I never considered them as one of the strongest builds. They are a lot of fun, though.
Excuse me?
How are they weak against robots exactly? Electrokinesis deals heavy irresistible damage at good range and automatically stuns for 1 turn, force punch ignores shields, electrokinetic imprint tears robots a new one on the spot, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:56:44 pm by Tamior »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2019, 08:17:28 pm »
Elecktrokinesis stuns them, sure, but unless you've got some crit stuff going on, it takes a while to kill even sentry bots with it.  I haven't played a psion far enough to comment on the other abilities.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »
@Tamior, do you find psi as powerful as guns against robots? I sure don't. When there are several robots, it is a nightmare, and I often find that the elektrokinesis abilities do not damage them fast enough. I keep thinking to myself "I wish I were a gun build".

That said, from a role playing perspective I don't mind it. It kinda makes sense that psi is not as strong against technology as it is against living organisms.