Author Topic: In what conditions are cryo attacks optimal?  (Read 1813 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
In what conditions are cryo attacks optimal?
« on: May 30, 2019, 02:35:49 am »
I'm talking cryo chem pistol, chem blop traps, cryo gas.  I can't think of any times when they are better than fire or acid. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: In what conditions are cryo attacks optimal?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 03:58:38 am »
NEVER! 

Lol seriously IDK it seems like pure killing power trumps all in this game so I can't think of a time where you want to specifically use AP on cryo attacks over pure DPS.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:05:53 am »
Cryo gas and chem pistols can freeze enemies solid, which renders them not merely immobile but actionless.  It's potentially valuable when you're fighting heavy hitting melee.  Incap with a flashbang or something then let them sit in the cold for two turns, stacking the movement debuff and eventually freezing solid. I believe they can also be shattered that way (been a while, sorry, and I don't trust my memory enough to be certain), and shattering can be done with less than lethal damage, so high-health enemies can be killed more rapidly since you don't have to get them to 0 health to kill them.

It's kind of niche, but I don't think it's without use.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:44 am »
Eh, some enemies are immune to fear which makes fire a lot less useful, and acid doesn't prevent enemies from shooting.

Overall mechanical cold is kinda boring because the most interesting thing you can do with cold is Shattering and that only works with Cryostasis psi or at least that's what Styg says.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
In my opinion ice pistol is only useful against ennemies immune to fire.

Its crowd control ability is better than acid blob (higher chance to proc and full incapacitation), though less damage, and the ice prison allows for execute shots.

I used it a little with a chem pistol character with quickpocket, was situationnally useful.

But 90% of the time Fire+laser or fire+acid is better.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:08:28 pm by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:37:44 am »
But 90% of the time Fire+laser or fire+acid is better.
Especially since fire+acid don't cancel each other's effects like fire+cold, which unlike psi fire+cold doesn't have Thermodynamics.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 08:53:05 pm »
So, coil spiders are immune to immobilization but not freezing (or burning for that matter).

A frozen opponent effectively blocks their own square from movement, all while being unable to act, and it lasts longer than a bear trap.  Bam, a use.  Respect to hilfazer for realizing this.
*eurobeat intensifies*

jubisloviu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 12:04:55 am »
With mad chemist and a decent quality cryoliquid pistol you have a nice chance of freezing targets for 2 turns
Freezing comes with some nice benefits, since chilling targets effectivelly reduce their movement points too, so it's pretty great if you need some extra room to breathe.

When i did a chemical pistol playthrought i kept using all 3 pistols because they were all useful for different situations, i'd say the cryoliquid is good enough to delay big threats like Lunatics, Grenadiers and death stalkers.

I think i might be wrong, but i remember cryoliquid pistols having a higher chance to CC compared to acid ones.
i might be wrong thought.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:30 pm »
When i did a chemical pistol playthrought i kept using all 3 pistols because they were all useful for different situations, i'd say the cryoliquid is good enough to delay big threats like Lunatics, Grenadiers and death stalkers.

And giand psi-bugs - I did Silent Isle early that way, slowed them down before they got mirror-images on them, so it just ended before it come close to me.