Author Topic: Why was Spearhead nerfed? Sniper builds are hardly OP.  (Read 2994 times)

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Why was Spearhead nerfed? Sniper builds are hardly OP.
« on: July 22, 2020, 07:29:31 pm »
The Spearhead might be the most viable sniper rifle, but if you want to see other rifles used more you should buff them rather than ham-handedly nerf an already non-OP build.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Spearhead nerfed? Sniper builds are hardly OP.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:03:18 pm »
Playing as a sniper recently, I only ever used a Smart Rapid Spearhead, it was so much more conveniemt than the options.

Now the other models look interesting again. That is good.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:32:36 pm »
Actually snipers are pretty darn strong.  Some sniper builds, particularly psi-hybrids, were OP. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Stavrophore

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:51:34 pm »
12.7 snipers would be more useful if they got a High Explosive ammo, like .44 with 3x3 tile range, like acid pistols. There's no point overshoting 550 HP enemy with 2k shots.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
psi OP
There, I fixed that for you. Pure sniper is problematic and almost unplayable at the higher difficulties.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:58:42 am »
Anyway, I have seen video evidence that spearheads still do just fine.  In fact, they can do more in a few rounds than they ever could.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:26 pm »
I am also worried. Although the AP cost of the Spearhead is still the smallest, since we can only shoot twice per turn now with or without psi, Spearhead is not reduced to be on par with othe rifles (was there before the nerf), not slightly below, it is now completely wortless in comparison. Still shots twice with all the buffs, but deals considerably less damage due to the gun being weaker even with the same (lowest) caliber of bullets. So what's the point? It's weakness was the reason why it had that low AP cost, why should anyone use a Spearhead now that it shoots as much as any other rifle?
I mean what's the point in using Contraction and shooting the lowest caliber 7.62mm bullets with a rifle that has the lowest damage by far, minimizing the damage output as much as possible, when you can perform the same amount of attacks with the highest damage, so with a Rapid 12.7mm Corsair? Same two attacks per turn and in the end, all that matters is how many attacks you can pull off per round. Firing a Spearhead now costs nearly as much as shooting with a Reaper, but the latter not just have higher minimal base damage, but a huuuuge boost to crit damage too. So why would anyone bother with a Spearhead now?

With the previous AP cost of 24, having the specialized Temporal Acceleration allowed us to fire this gun EXACTLY 3 times with that 72 AP, now spending that 4 specialization point to that feat become really questionable as it doesn't affect your dps in any way with this rifle. You'll be shooting 2 times either way - the nerf of the rifle also indirectly made the Contraction spell itself kinda redundant too for snipers, so it's really hard to decide if it even worth to use psi at all now for characters with this weapon. Because other that that spell there's really not that much benefit to be had for all the losses involved for dipping into psi. Increment is still ok, but nowehere near validates the HP loss. And since Contraction has a negative effect after it's use, it is now prevented to be used consequently. So it doesn't matter how long is the reuse time, it a one spell per battle thing now and that reduces the usefulness of Increment too and the Temporal related feats. There's simply no reason to go psi after issuing the fatigue after-effects of Contraction. If there will be a fatigue state afterwards either way, then using psi is stupid. You get the same AP bonus with Adrenaline Shots and save a good deal of skill points, 25% HP and possibly several feat slots with specialization points. This update will only bring more pure psi-less characters, which is exactly the opposite of what it proclaims to accomplish. Nerf fireballs, forcefields and mind manipulation all you want, but Temporal school was exactly right - for the cost it took to have it.

For snipers, there were builds made from strong synergies directly connected to each other, between spells and equipment, even between spells and other spells, everything worked so well, one thing led to another, all were in connection like a delicate machinery. Now with altering a single cog, it all fell apart. One can only assume, that the devs simply overlooked this and failed to see the actual effects of their careless meddling and how deep the consequences can be. I sincerely hope they correct this later.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:42:07 pm by Vokial »

Elite

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »
Anyway, I have seen video evidence that spearheads still do just fine.  In fact, they can do more in a few rounds than they ever could.

Where might one see said video?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »
Having Spearhead be able to naturally attack twice every turn made other snipers quite subpar. As someone noticed, Spearhead has other benefits, such as being able to move and shoot without penalty with Strafe. At one point I will take a closer look at each frame and, if I find Spearhead lacking, it might be buffed in another way.

I made changes to Shooting Spree specifically so that this nerf would not hit sniper builds overall too hard. It's very likely, even, that sniper builds are now more powerful than before.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:24 pm »
Where might one see said video?

On the discord, in the general forum search "harper was close" and watch the webm posted by tygrende.
*eurobeat intensifies*