Author Topic: Stealth Question  (Read 14825 times)

blackmoor

• Zoner
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow
    • View Profile
Stealth Question
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »
Scenario:
The player is has a sneaking skill over 100 points, is currently sneaking and a cloak is activated. There is a neutral NPC with his back to the player, walking away about 25 tiles away, but he's also "guarding" the door next to the player. When the player attempts to pick the lock the NPC goes hostile. Yet that same NPC will let the player pickpocket him and take weapons and ammo.

Question:
Would it make sense to have some kind of "suspicion meter" attached to each door that's being guarded? Is it possible to get through that door without this guy going hostile? How the hell can he even see me, does his vision cone cover a full 180 degrees? If I want to go through this door, do I have to kill everyone in town?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:35:06 pm by blackmoor »

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:33:30 am »
A stealth score of 100 is ridiculous (or I'm just not that far) so I can't comment there, but-

People don't have PoV zones of sight, they have a proximity detection score. If your stealth isn't high enough you're immediately detected when you enter their proximity of detection. The Burglary feat is an obvious choice if you can't pick/hack it quick enough while out of their proximity.

Also, pickpocketing actually doesn't factor in stealth unless you use the Ninja Looter feat. You can freely pickpocket people while being detected.

-

I mean, I'm saying this but I almost have to assume you already know this if you've gotten to the point where you have 100 stealth. Good luck.

EDIT: just read the Dev saying I should approach someone from behind while stealthed, meaning it probably factors in proximity as well as PoV, pardon the disinformation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:35:34 am by bushwhacker2k »

blackmoor

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:48:58 am »
Thanks for the comments bushwhacker.

I must either be doing something wrong or there is possible a stealth mechanic bug with doors.

But if I decide to play a stealthy thief, I would expect to be able to get past a door, that's all I'm saying.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:48:01 am »
Which door are we talking about?

blackmoor

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:26:45 am »
Which door are we talking about?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to any door with a red hand on it. But I went back and tested this further I discovered the problem. It turns out I wasn't stealthing at the right time, for some reason you have to stealth outside of an enemies field of vision or it doesn't work. Having the cloak doesn't make a difference at that point. So this was technically user error on my part.

I assume cloaking and using stealth while inside the field of vision of an enemy will never actually hide you, correct?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:50:47 pm »
I assume cloaking and using stealth while inside the field of vision of an enemy will never actually hide you, correct?

Unless they are incapacitated, no.