Author Topic: Single bullet loading.  (Read 4334 times)

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Single bullet loading.
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:44 pm »
This is not really bug, but might mess with the player expectations.

The last bullet in the bottom of the magazine is the first being shot.
Since we can load single bullets one by one and there are three types of ammo this can lead to less than perfect scenarios.

The 1st one and least important is that while you are loading your gun, bullet by bullet, you have to be aware that the first being loaded into the magazine is the first one to go. This is not much of an issue because although it doesn't work like it does in real life, you just have to get used to it and ignore it completely.

The 2nd one is that you can't make the most of the single bullet loading in the middle of a battle.
Imagine this. You have a smg loaded with 15 W2C Rounds, which is great because you are shooting a Plasma Sentry.
Then comes a squishy target like a alpha rathound, and you want to take it first, because you know that the Plasma Sentry is going to last longer.
What can you do?
  • You can shoot some w2c rounds on the rathound, but they would be a waste since their efficiency would be lost on the squishy body of the rathound.
  • You can reload the smg with a whole jhp clip. It would give you an edge against the rathound but now you are less effective against the Plasma Sentry. You could reload again back to w2c rounds but this would mean that you would waste 30 ap just in reloads
  • You could just add one jhp bullet to your magazine.This way you get one shot of doing some nice damage to your organic target, thanks to the jhp bonus, and still keep your magazine with enough w2c bullets for the Plasma Sentry
Right now the single bullet loading is great to create versatile magazines, but if fixed it could become a last minute tool allowing to you adjust to a new target in the fly.
What do you think?

Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Single bullet loading.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »
It would be useful to have that functionality in certain situations.

But would it be worth it?

I imagine that action would be tricky to perform mid-combat & simulated by a large AP cost?

Hence by the time a single bullet has been loaded in you could've just fired two shots.

Just how hard is it to load a single bullet into a clip/gun without dropping anything, whilst under pressure?

I'd be happy with a simple change to the current magazine loading mechanics.

Reloading a weapon changes the entire magazine into the chosen ammo type.

I think it would be better, for example, if you could load a stack of 10 bullets plus a stack of 10 W2C bullets - to the 20 bullet capacity of the weapon.

Without using the tedious reload-by-bullet option.

Especially if anything like tracer ammo is added to the game.

To deal with this scenario the best option is to simply carry a gun loaded with W2C rounds and a separate weapon loaded with another type.

That's what I intend on doing with my latest pistoleer - one laser, one acid, one normal gun - that should cover all bases shouldn't it? oO

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:26:45 pm »
Yes it does work as you state.

When firing my characters pistol however; the bullets are depleted/added from the left side unlike your example.

The floating help text looks like it needs a slight adjustment!

In the first picture - I can't load a single bullet into another weapon during combat.

In the second picture - I can load a single bullet into the current weapon during combat.

Either way, the info float states that it isn't possible to load a single bullet during combat! =D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:36:16 pm by mwnn »

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:37:47 pm »
Ops my bad.

Thanks for clearing that out epeli, just tested it out and it works exactly like you said.
Wierd how i managed to confuse myself.  :-[
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:02 pm »
I never paid much attention to those tooltips, I just drag the ammo to my action bar, set it to load single (current) and always use it via keyboard shortcut. That makes loading single bullets a lot less tedious btw.

A great time-saver!

I knew you could drop lockpicks, dog crates, skills, etc - onto the quick bar but I wasn't even aware this was possible!

I've been going through the inventory every time =\
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:56:01 pm by mwnn »

Prytification

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:57:02 am »

A great time-saver!

I knew you could drop lockpicks, dog crates, skills, etc - onto the quick bar but I wasn't even aware this was possible!

I've been going through the inventory every time =\

You can even set actions for certain items. Like the OmniTool, you can put it twice in the quickslots, one with action assigned: "open vent" and one with "close vent". Or cange it on the fly. There's quite some power in the UI.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:46:53 am »
In the first picture - I can't load a single bullet into another weapon during combat.

In the second picture - I can load a single bullet into the current weapon during combat.

Either way, the info float states that it isn't possible to load a single bullet during combat! =D

Fixed for the next update.