Author Topic: drum magazine  (Read 3264 times)

zsewqthewolf

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
drum magazine
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:10 am »
For SMG, pistol, and assault rifle.

myself love to go in and make sure it have more holes then swiss cheese.

Just the idea and in my head yelling "say hello to my little friend!!!"

STEN

Re: drum magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
Next logical step is light machineguns

zsewqthewolf

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:09 am »
Next logical step is light machineguns

That would be the most highly cost weapon in the game then to keep the game balance

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 01:12:23 pm »
Given that they use up a slot that could be taken by many damage output boosting enhancements, magazine enhancements would not be balanced or desirable no matter their capacity.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:17:55 pm »
Given that they use up a slot that could be taken by many damage output boosting enhancements, magazine enhancements would not be balanced or desirable no matter their capacity.
That does take you right back, though, to the core concept of Good Game Design: Fun always trumps Balance - after all, this isn't a MMO/MOBA/competitive PvP game, which are the only places "balance" deserves to be considered prominently.  If a bunch of people would enjoy going full auto all day, erry day then it might be worth the trade-off.  Given that the only weapons capable of going burst are also weapons which tend to have builds with several spare feat slots, it might not be so crippling after all. After all, proccing Commando after a 9-round Suppressive and Concentrated Fire burst does result in a *lot* of damage, and getting to keep on spraying and praying instead of reloading a few times? That might just be worth the loss of optimization.

Hell, UnderRail is so easy that even Dominating can be done reliably with joke/trick builds. Balanced hardly comes into play, as it should be.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:47:29 am »
There's only a handful of players in the world good enough for that. :)

It's more about "patient" than good, tbh.

Though i would like to see throwing only build (no grenades and traps obviously) finishing DOMINATING. Maybe @TheAverageGortsby will show us how to do it. Hell, i would even pay for that)

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:08:48 pm »
Either larger magazines... or bullet belt for 4 ap reloading gizmos.

I had two assault rifles(+2 burst/+ 50 % burst), one costing 11/33, one 16/48 ap per shot/burst. After first round/commando you're left with 21 bullets in the primary and 11 on the alt. If drugged, that's one more burst from small AR and ap/mp to move. Next round you're left with 12 and 11 bullets which is one more burst/commando for a grand total of 33+8=41 ap after reloading and some ap/mp extra. There wasn't much left in range after that, though I think part of the outcome was coming from the fact my char was wearing the heaviest possible armour at all times. Larger magazines may work for builds that want to (perhaps?) stay light on their feet and dart around corners more often, and, of course, have to use some other belt than the bullet one?

To be honest I wouldn't use such an attachment.   

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:58:59 am »
I expect to see a smart module redesign along with the shield emitter redesign.
Hmm, what does Styg think is wrong with shields?

(In my personal experience, shield emitters are very all-or nothing, and a potential liability for low-hp builds that don't stack electric resistance on Hard/DOMINATING)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 08:49:51 am »

(In my personal experience, shield emitters are very all-or nothing, and a potential liability for low-hp builds that don't stack electric resistance on Hard/DOMINATING)
I'll try to find the post, but he has said that the doesn't like that there's no trade-off with shields. You turn them on, they protect you, done. He's bandied about ideas like stationary fields (almost certainly not going to go with that), directional shields, and other concepts where the shield is something you have to deliberately use, rather than just a pool of HP that you can turn on whenever you want.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:52:17 pm »

I'll try to find the post, but he has said that the doesn't like that there's no trade-off with shields. You turn them on, they protect you, done. He's bandied about ideas like stationary fields (almost certainly not going to go with that), directional shields, and other concepts where the shield is something you have to deliberately use, rather than just a pool of HP that you can turn on whenever you want.
Directional shields seem like they could be interesting, and create some cool tactical gameplay. It would definitely necessitate a way to change your character's facing without moving, though.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 04:14:18 pm »

I don't want to get into this right now, but personally I am not content with how the shields work at the moment, both in the terms of crafting (where there's effectively one way to go about things) and with the amount of defense they provide with practically no active tactical or strategic engagement from the player and virtually no downsides.

Expect this to change at some point (prior to the end of the world).

I'm not primarily bothered by the lack of counters to energy shields, but by their simplistic non-engaging one-size-fits-all mechanics. Giving enemies more EMPs might make the combat more difficult, but not necessarily all that more interesting.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 04:41:43 pm »
Well, I guess he could do the Dune thing, where a laser pistol shooting a shield causes a nuclear explosion :D

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 08:32:58 pm »
Why not make shields degrade with use? The more they absorb, the quicker they break. So when a shield absorbs almost a full sniper shot it suffers degrade immediately but shields that always let a bit of the damage through degrade slower.

Make them a bit more expensive and... dunno

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 09:37:31 pm »
Thanks, Tygrende. Finally had the time and was just about to hop on and search for those posts.  Thank you for doing the work =)

Twiglard

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 07:27:43 pm »
That does take you right back, though, to the core concept of Good Game Design: Fun always trumps Balance - after all, this isn't a MMO/MOBA/competitive PvP game, which are the only places "balance" deserves [...] .  If a bunch of people would enjoy going full auto all day, erry day then it might be worth the trade-off.

a) It's actually challenging to do a total bursting SMG build for DOMINATING DC. There's not enough ammo without Sneak 300, even in warehouses. Before DC I never ran out of rounds. Time to try another build now!
b) With right belt the reload cost is negligible and you can fire the same amount of SMG bursts each round. With ARs the burst isn't the exact multiple of your 50 AP so you can reload each round too.
c) There's jungle style and drum magazines but we have no jamming or overheat mechanic. Look for AR catching fire videos. The chance of jamming is non-negligible. I'd welcome someone from the US to correct me given my obvious lack of practical knowledge.
d) Lack of balance is true for all our favorite games with tons of combat, i.e. Fallout, Arcanum, BG2 and so on. Just for instance take Sniper by savescumming 10 LK at Hubologists'. Even without the Bozar it's overkill. Take Lifegiver at 12 and 15 with EN 4.