Author Topic: Add a "shopping list" + merchant tweaks  (Read 3095 times)

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Add a "shopping list" + merchant tweaks
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:52:59 pm »
THE PROBLEM
Look. I like the game, in fact its hard to say I like it, more so its captivating. Possibly in a bad way, similar to those stupid clicker games that addict some people.

I have around 50+ hours on this game so far. Here is the thing. AT LEAST 10 of those hours has just been me traveling between my loot stashes and checking merchants trying to deal with the stupid amount of loot I have stashed in random barrels and such. Being put into a constant spiral of nickle and dime travel fees mixed with the HYPER artificial time gating of vendors and how the economy functions is really taking its toll.

"HAHAHA you added an NPC (al fabet) to mock the players trying to sell stuff because you are completely aware of the system you created"
Ya its not really that funny, its like a joke being retold dozens of times, at some point it just gets annoying. Now I...understand, the time gating and limiting the amount of stuff a player can sell; I still think its a poor design/choice since it just seems like an artificial time gate rather than a meaningful feature, as a cheap way to reduce the player from being stupid rich, but there are a handful of ways other games get around this just spit balling: lower overall sell price of goods, reduce loot drops (not a fan), add money sinks (which this game ACTUALLY has, so wtf?). 

However, THAT is actually not my issue, not entirely. MY issue is that there are SOOO many merchants in the game, and to keep track of their ever changing "what I will buy" list is just mind numbing. I could understand if they kept a strict list of things; medical vendors thankfully do this...for the most part. However merchants like general merchants and gun merchants can be VERY picky instead of just ARMOR they want leather, riot, or vest, EXCLUSIVELY! They also only want boots or helmets every turn of the century. Mix it all together and you have a big pain in the ass.

The only sane option a player has since the game is FULL OF LOOT, is to literally go to every merchant, take pictures of what everyone wants, then go to their numerous loot stashes and see if they have the right stuff, then go back. That, is, in,sane. It sounds simple and not that bad, but as the game opens up and you get access to 10+ merchants maybe dozens, and you STILL have hordes of loot after visiting them all, doing it on repeat just turns into that time wasting drone like cookie clicker crap I mentioned earlier. The game added a built in speed hack for god sakes, more than likely because of this tedious as all hell routine the economy thrusts upon you, which is just asinine.

Its 2020. I get the developer has some autistic hate for certain QoL features *cough* respeccing. But here is the thing. This is a game, not a CRAZY IN DEPTH SIMULATION (I have literal telekinetic powers and can't open doors remotely, I can leave expensive loot on the floor in the slums and come back to it hours later with none of the desperate NPC's stealing it), a game. QoL is a term for a reason. Games are limited as a medium, quality of life features are explicitly created to alleviate the burdens that come with those limitations. People also don't want to hate/feel like they are wasting time with a game. Maybe masochistic whackjobs do, but not most people.

THE SOLUTION
Add an item in game, lets just call it "shopping list". Each time you interact with a merchant you get a list of what they are currently looking to buy, this item records that, boom, done. Have it operate just like the quest log, you click on the different settlements, then the name of the merchant then it shows the list of items they want.

"The merchants restock though"

I am aware. This can can be told to the player in game via a simple note when using the "shopping list". When the player checks the merchant(s) and their stock has changed, simply add a "note" saying something like:
"Its been awhile since I stopped by, this vendors stock has probably changed".
That way the player knows 2 things.

1. They can go recheck the merchants for new stuff (an unexpected side bonus)
2. Lets the player know that the merchants are now looking for different items.

If the player sells everything the merchant is seeking, the list should simply update to:
"This merchant is no longer looking to buy anything"
Just like that al fabet guy always has on his merchant screen.

The other thing that could be done to reduce tedium is you could base how picky merchants are via difficulty settings. If people want the tedium let hard mode and or dominating players have the system exactly as is. For easy, have the merchants not be limited on what they will buy at least in their category, i.e: Weapon merchants will always take all armors/guns whatever and the player is simply limited by how much money the merchant has, exactly how bullets and batteries are always being bought by the respective merchants.

Have that be the easy difficulty trading, while normal still has the limited amount of items one can sell to a merchant, just have them be less picky, i.e: On normal let the weapon merchant only be looking for 4 armors, however its ANY armor rather than specifically vest/leather/metal. That way its the same concept as now just a little more lax.

Then hard/dominating can have the system exactly as it is now.

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Add a "shopping list" + merchant tweaks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:25:33 pm »
Bro this sounds like your own problem completely. Maybe just stop trying to become the richest individual in underrail for no reason?

What I do is I go to my "home base" wherever that happens to be, drop some of my heavier gear usually, especially on low str char, fill up on loot with sledge belt, and then run to some key merchants in the each of the major cities, selling whatever I can as I go. You can also just leave loot stashes in each of the cities, so you can just grab the stuff you have there if you don't have some of the stuff they're looking for. I pretty much never have issues with cash even on Dominating.

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:58:30 am »
The fact we have to have loot stashes at every merchant hub, dropped either on the ground or in a bin, is just silly. Firstly its immersion breaking which is flavor, true. HOWEVER it can't NOT be noticed when you drop literal cash on the ground in front of a group of zoners who just say "mmm you look tasty, im so hungry", with literal cash on the ground AT THEIR FEET.

Secondly, its just ridiculous needing to have dozens of stashes at every merchant hub. Im not going to remember what I have at each one, I have to hope that I just have what they want that particular visit. Not to mention its not clear when merchants restock, and don't even get me started on crafting.
"Merchants restock every x minutes"
Ya, obviously however unless I meta game put some nonsense timer on my phone or something I won't know this. So if I spend 25 coins to just "check" on if the merchants restock. Its time consuming and wastes in game currency.

Also you clearly don't bother with the house, the house is a gold sink, which is fine, but man is it stupid how it falls into the trap of being practically useless outside one gimmick. Getting a couple lockers, the crafting benches, and lights turned on almost drained me. I had 10k coins before house, I had 2k at the end. I should clarify that what I listed was ALL I bought, lockers, benches, lights, and renovated all floors, no furniture or any decor, thank god I looked at the wiki learning the defense system is apparently just cosmetic (FUCKING WHY?) if I bought that crap I would not have been able to even afford it. So the game does kind of force the "richest guy in underrail" onto players.
If you don't waste time and money checking merchants, leaving obnoxious amounts of loot stashes at every hub with a mix of stuff, guess what, you won't have enough money. It costs money to fast travel, it costs money to craft best you can craft at current level, the other thing is you can't just sell your stuff in one go. The game forces you to sell ASAP all you can because its all time gated, if you don't keep up with selling and checking merchants you go broke, and you have to slowly regain wealth due to the time gated economy, its fucking obnoxious man. You and I do the exact same thing; leaving multiple stashes of mixed things at merchants. I just don't think it bothers you, which is fine, but im telling you if you add up the time you have been spending setting up those stashes and traveling to all those merchants you will notice it adds up. Again, whether that bothers you or not is up to you, but most people don't like being "gated" mainly time gated or grind gated such as MMO progression, some people love it, at least in the case of MMO's eastern MMO's specifically and those people are a VAST minority who IMO have simply been conditioned to enjoy a bad feature and defend it since they are accustomed to it.

To help put into perspective, making a back and forth train ride to a merchant then back to where you want to be costs 50 coins, lets say you make a merchant rotation, A FULL ROTATION at least in lower rail. So lets say you go to core city, rail crossing, then foundry, then SGS, THEN pay to go to junk yard, then back to SGS then, finally to wherever you want to "go" to get on playing the game. Or possibly even back to "home base" to grab your main gear; as a 3 str psi character, dude, it gets stupid obnoxious, even with that belt, and the rathound regalia, AND the str food. I don't have the feat, I am sure it would help, but that just reduces the trips, which btw the top example is just ONE round trip, which you may have wasted if the restock timer hadn't finished. That example above will be around 150 coins. You can usually make the money back and then some, but that compounded with the time it takes to walk to every merchant, check what they need, going to your local stash, checking that, then going to the next merchant rinse and repeat.
IT
ADDS
UP
Its just unnecessary tedium. You can be ok with it, but to deny its tedium would just be flat out false. The amount of TIME it takes is the issue with me.

Lastly this makes crafting an absolute nightmare. If you keep everything in one stash you are punished if you are looking to sell components, if you keep multiple stashes (like most do I am sure), you are instead punished in crafting since you don't have your full crafting inventory with you. Which causes you to go dumpster diving at each of your loot stashes when you want to craft. Again, WASTING TIME AND COIN! I don't know how else to elaborate the point that the whole system just compounds into a big obnoxious round about time waster.

An in game way to keep track of the economy rather than meta gaming it would be welcome, for improving the atmosphere/immersion, as well as being a straight QoL addition.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:03:31 am by slyguy65 »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 01:23:54 am »
You must be the guy who posted on reddit as SlySychoGamer.  Same complaints, same posting style.

Look, your posts there were the result of not understanding the game, and not playing effectively.  Basically, you're still bad at UnderRail.  UnderRail isn't made so that you pick it up and get everything right, first try.  There's learning, and optimizing, and replaying.  You're still posting the same stuff.  You're not playing effectively, and asking that rather than learn how to play well, the game be made easier for you.  That's...unlikely.  Styg hasn't been historically all that interested in streamlining the game so hard that choice falls to the wayside.  You can choose to merchant run, and then be rich.  You can choose to mostly ignore loot, and just take quest rewards and useful world loot, and still get by just fine.  Choice and consequence, even in inventory management.

Please take the time to learn the tips and tricks suggested by the veteran players, here.  Your complaints are a bit silly, since they're fixable just by playing smarter.

nosaM

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 04:36:36 am »
THE PROBLEM

Isn't even a problem. Just take a few snipers or tac vest, and sell em. Oh look now you can buy whatever you want.

But there is a thing that I would call actually a problem, and that would be the item sale value on dominating difficulty. It's a little bit too low, but even that's just a small problem.

Your post seems more like a rant that has nothing to do with actually improving the game. Also the way you use words in all caps is really obnoxious, and does nothing to help get your point across.

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:25:36 am »
THE PROBLEM

Just take a few snipers or tac vest, and sell em.

Minimal investment in crafting allows you to make repair kits out of the rest you don't want/need to carry/sell (cheap guns etc.). You use this to repair the sniper rifles, ARs etc. you hoard for selling. Has been mentioned multiple times on the board, unless you want to buy money sink stuff, you don't need all the cash, not even on DOMINATING.

Since this is a rant thread: I hate how modern triple AAA stuff has their worlds full of collectible shit unrelated to the game just to pad out playing time. Trains us all to be OCD about collecting what drops in whatever game. And then people play a game like Underrail and expect all stuff has to be picked up. ;)

LudoErgoSum

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:37 pm »
Look. I like the game, in fact its hard to say I like it, more so its captivating. Possibly in a bad way, similar to those stupid clicker games that addict some people.

I have around 50+ hours on this game so far. Here is the thing. AT LEAST 10 of those hours has just been me traveling between my loot stashes and checking merchants trying to deal with the stupid amount of loot I have stashed in random barrels and such.

[...]

People also don't want to hate/feel like they are wasting time with a game. Maybe masochistic whackjobs do, but not most people.

This coming from someone who likened Underrail to a "clicker game" and yet played for 50+ hours and claims to have spent 20% of that time just running between merchants. I think you're more of a "masochistic whackjob" than you're giving yourself credit for.

The fact we have to have loot stashes at every merchant hub, dropped either on the ground or in a bin, is just silly. Firstly its immersion breaking which is flavor, true. HOWEVER it can't NOT be noticed when you drop literal cash on the ground in front of a group of zoners who just say "mmm you look tasty, im so hungry", with literal cash on the ground AT THEIR FEET.

Game mechanics are always artificial, and they always require suspension of disbelief. Get over it. Also, how is a "shopping list" that gets automagically updated irrespective of the player's location in the game world less immersion-breaking? Is the player character remotely reading the minds of all the merchants at regular 90-minute intervals?

Also you clearly don't bother with the house, the house is a gold sink, which is fine, but man is it stupid how it falls into the trap of being practically useless outside one gimmick. Getting a couple lockers, the crafting benches, and lights turned on almost drained me. I had 10k coins before house, I had 2k at the end. I should clarify that what I listed was ALL I bought, lockers, benches, lights, and renovated all floors, no furniture or any decor, thank god I looked at the wiki learning the defense system is apparently just cosmetic (FUCKING WHY?) if I bought that crap I would not have been able to even afford it. So the game does kind of force the "richest guy in underrail" onto players.

The crafting benches aren't a gimmick, they're incredibly useful, because crafting is tremendously good for basically all builds. If you spent half as much time learning about the game as you do writing inane rants, you'd understand that. Also, for utility, you just need the basement and the workbenches. You don't need lockers, or the top floor, or literally anything else. When you drop something on the ground, guess what happens? You create a permanent container for free. Wrap your head around this: it's like a locker that you don't have to pay for. Crazy, I know.

You and I do the exact same thing; leaving multiple stashes of mixed things at merchants. I just don't think it bothers you, which is fine, but im telling you if you add up the time you have been spending setting up those stashes and traveling to all those merchants you will notice it adds up. Again, whether that bothers you or not is up to you, but most people don't like being "gated" mainly time gated or grind gated such as MMO progression, some people love it, at least in the case of MMO's eastern MMO's specifically and those people are a VAST minority who IMO have simply been conditioned to enjoy a bad feature and defend it since they are accustomed to it.

Genuinely laughing at "setting up those stashes." Thanks for that. Yes, what an arduous and time-consuming chore it is to spend 5 seconds to Alt+Left Click a few items into a container window. Also, you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that most players slavishly visit every merchant at every reset. This is not the case. It's enough to simply drop by whenever you happen to be in the area; you don't need to deliberately go out of your way to perform a full circuit of every merchant in the game at every reset. It's just not necessary. The economy isn't that punishing outside of DOMINATING, and there's no way you're playing on that difficulty. You're deliberately making the game tedious for yourself and then complaining about the level of tedium.

Also, pro tip: if you actually care about your "suggestions" getting traction, don't couch them in snide language and don't constantly deride the developers and the player base. That tends to put people off. Moreover, show some humility. Somebody who knows as little about the game as you clearly do is in no position to be offering strong criticism. You may be under the delusion that you're dispensing pearls of game design wisdom, but you're not. Honestly, the mix of arrogance and ignorance you're exhibiting is almost impressive.

Finally, all of this bitching of yours is just flogging a dead horse. Cheat Engine already exists. There's already speed hack and an infinite carry weight hack and many other things besides. Lots of people use them and you, too, can use them. I believe in you.

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 01:15:12 am »
You must be the guy who posted on reddit as SlySychoGamer.  Same complaints, same posting style.

Look, your posts there were the result of not understanding the game, and not playing effectively.  Basically, you're still bad at UnderRail.  UnderRail isn't made so that you pick it up and get everything right, first try.  There's learning, and optimizing, and replaying.  You're still posting the same stuff.  You're not playing effectively, and asking that rather than learn how to play well, the game be made easier for you.  That's...unlikely.  Styg hasn't been historically all that interested in streamlining the game so hard that choice falls to the wayside.  You can choose to merchant run, and then be rich.  You can choose to mostly ignore loot, and just take quest rewards and useful world loot, and still get by just fine.  Choice and consequence, even in inventory management.

Please take the time to learn the tips and tricks suggested by the veteran players, here.  Your complaints are a bit silly, since they're fixable just by playing smarter.

Congratulations internet detective. You really must have too much time on your hands. Aside from your brilliant deduction this really goes to show how tiny this community is, and therefore will be near impossible to criticize but either way, that won't stop me.
Let me lay it out for you detective, not everyone has as much time on their hands as you. This is a single player game. Why do I have to learn "tips and tricks" from "veteran players"? The game is honestly not as complicated nor perilous as you make it out to be, or how you think I perceive it to be. It simply has artificial barriers and few QoL features. I haven't come across any fights that I wasn't supposed to win. Everything that bothers me are things that all do the same thing (mostly)

WASTE

TIME

Time consuming things for the sake of consuming time is just obnoxious. Video games have existed for 30+ years. They iterate and improve as years go by, dumb shit is usually left behind while good shit is kept and improved on. This game does some good shit, however it also does some seriously dumb shit. Its not above criticism. Most people I see arguing with "noobs" and people that need to "git gud" are honestly just people who have replayed the game over and over and over. Or at least once maybe twice on the highest difficulty. Which I guess gives them this mental image of themselves as some kind of "underrail deputy" or in your case detective; where they think they can just go around policing peoples opinion on THEIR underrail which they possibly even beat on dominating, so of course THEY know what is and isn't fun or how the game SHOULD be played.

Also, really? A "merchant run"? You are HONESTLY trying to tell me, that a COMMON and normally additional part of RPG's (looting and selling loot) should ACTUALLY be played as a whole run unto itself?
Are you high?

Me: "Man this new fallout game is pretty silly, im barely able to keep killing stuff cause im always running out of ammo"

New fallout detective/deputy: "Well that's how it is, maybe make an ammo crafter run instead of a...what are you? Oh, ya you are an idiot you have way too many points in armor crafting, no wonder you are doing terrible. Your gun skill is only at 75? WHY DO YOU HAVE MEDICINE AT 50??? smh how dare you play this game without consulting a guide, stop playing how you want and FOLLOW A GUIDE, until then leave and never come back.

That is how this niche community sounds, you sound like crazy people.

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 01:18:53 am »
THE PROBLEM

Isn't even a problem. Just take a few snipers or tac vest, and sell em. Oh look now you can buy whatever you want.

But there is a thing that I would call actually a problem, and that would be the item sale value on dominating difficulty. It's a little bit too low, but even that's just a small problem.

Your post seems more like a rant that has nothing to do with actually improving the game. Also the way you use words in all caps is really obnoxious, and does nothing to help get your point across.

COULD YOU IMAGINE HOW OBNOXIOUS IT WOULD BE TO HAVE A WHOLE POST BE IN ALL CAPS? INSTEAD OF JUST A FEW WORDS IN A PAGE LONG POST? THAT WOULD BE SILLY.

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS OBNOXIOUS? HAVING TO HAVE MULTIPLE LOOT PILES STASHED AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE THE GAME WANTS TO SHOWER YOU WITH LOOT BUT HAVE YOU HOLD ONTO IT FOR OBNOXIOUSLY LONG PERIODS OF TIME FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF NOT BEING OVERLY RICH TO QUICK AND OR DETER PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO WASTE TIME ACTUALLY RETURNING TO MERCHANTS 5 DIFFERENT TIMES TO SELL 5 ITEMS.

Luckily I have more class than that and would never do a full post in caps lock.

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 01:21:39 am »
THE PROBLEM

Just take a few snipers or tac vest, and sell em.

Minimal investment in crafting allows you to make repair kits out of the rest you don't want/need to carry/sell (cheap guns etc.). You use this to repair the sniper rifles, ARs etc. you hoard for selling. Has been mentioned multiple times on the board, unless you want to buy money sink stuff, you don't need all the cash, not even on DOMINATING.

Since this is a rant thread: I hate how modern triple AAA stuff has their worlds full of collectible shit unrelated to the game just to pad out playing time. Trains us all to be OCD about collecting what drops in whatever game. And then people play a game like Underrail and expect all stuff has to be picked up. ;)

I am fully aware of the crafting.
Even with recycling most things under 5k value. I still have pages of loot. What I am asking for isn't even a crazy thing. The game has established in universe that there is communication such as email and calling. Why can't players be given a phone to check on merchants? Why force ALL players to do round trips around the world to sell a handful of items? It may be a rant but its not some unfounded mad man ravings. There is precedent.

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 02:01:56 am »

I have around 50+ hours on this game so far. Here is the thing. AT LEAST 10 of those hours has just been me traveling between my loot stashes and checking merchants trying to deal with the stupid amount of loot I have stashed in random barrels and such.

[...]

People also don't want to hate/feel like they are wasting time with a game. Maybe masochistic whackjobs do, but not most people.

1. This coming from someone who likened Underrail to a "clicker game" and yet played for 50+ hours and claims to have spent 20% of that time just running between merchants. I think you're more of a "masochistic whackjob" than you're giving yourself credit for.

2. Game mechanics are always artificial, and they always require suspension of disbelief. Get over it. Also, how is a "shopping list" that gets automagically updated irrespective of the player's location in the game world less immersion-breaking? Is the player character remotely reading the minds of all the merchants at regular 90-minute intervals?

3. The crafting benches aren't a gimmick, they're incredibly useful, because crafting is tremendously good for basically all builds. If you spent half as much time learning about the game as you do writing inane rants, you'd understand that. Also, for utility, you just need the basement and the workbenches. You don't need lockers, or the top floor, or literally anything else. When you drop something on the ground, guess what happens? You create a permanent container for free. Wrap your head around this: it's like a locker that you don't have to pay for. Crazy, I know.

You and I do the exact same thing; leaving multiple stashes of mixed things at merchants. I just don't think it bothers you, which is fine, but im telling you if you add up the time you have been spending setting up those stashes and traveling to all those merchants you will notice it adds up. Again, whether that bothers you or not is up to you, but most people don't like being "gated" mainly time gated or grind gated such as MMO progression, some people love it, at least in the case of MMO's eastern MMO's specifically and those people are a VAST minority who IMO have simply been conditioned to enjoy a bad feature and defend it since they are accustomed to it.

4. Genuinely laughing at "setting up those stashes." Thanks for that. Yes, what an arduous and time-consuming chore it is to spend 5 seconds to Alt+Left Click a few items into a container window. Also, you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that most players slavishly visit every merchant at every reset. This is not the case. It's enough to simply drop by whenever you happen to be in the area; you don't need to deliberately go out of your way to perform a full circuit of every merchant in the game at every reset. It's just not necessary. The economy isn't that punishing outside of DOMINATING, and there's no way you're playing on that difficulty. You're deliberately making the game tedious for yourself and then complaining about the level of tedium.

Also, pro tip: if you actually care about your "suggestions" getting traction, don't couch them in snide language and don't constantly deride the developers and the player base. That tends to put people off. Moreover, show some humility. Somebody who knows as little about the game as you clearly do is in no position to be offering strong criticism. You may be under the delusion that you're dispensing pearls of game design wisdom, but you're not. Honestly, the mix of arrogance and ignorance you're exhibiting is almost impressive.

5. Finally, all of this bitching of yours is just flogging a dead horse. Cheat Engine already exists. There's already speed hack and an infinite carry weight hack and many other things besides. Lots of people use them and you, too, can use them. I believe in you.

1. I didn't realize I was spending so much time doing merchant runs until I noticed how many hours I had in the game. Thinking back on previous RPG experiences no other RPG even small niche indie ones have had such an obnoxious gameplay loop in recent memory.

2. Automagically...cute, however you do realize one of the literal first things you are introduced to is the fact the game has in universe communication tools yes? Email, tv broadcasting later on, and even mentions of straight up phones and phone calls. So uh, ya, its not magical, its autotechnological AKA technology.

3. Yes, it is, it is crazy that you can buy containers for your items when, like you said; you can just drop stuff anywhere and create infinite magic containers wherever you like. So uh, why the fuck have containers? Or at least why the hell have containers you can buy for your house? You can't label them, you can't subdivide them or improve inventory sorting with them, they act identical to stuff on ground, so why? Oh, aesthetics...pointless drivel essentially. Most games do this, Skyrim for example. The reason I called the benches a "gimmick" is because it straight up follows the trope of player housing, where most of the player housing feature is pointless aside from one practical caveat; crafting usually. Seems underrail streamlines more than most here realize.

4. "Setting up stashes" was a bit vague, and yes it is personal choice trying to organize loot, however. That is entirely normal behavior especially in games that have explicit player housing. Bethesda games are perfect examples of this.
I feel the game has an identity crisis, or perhaps its better to say peoples views of what the game IS seem to conflict.
One person will call this an open world/open ended RPG, another will call it a strategic turnbased action game. Clearly perspectives aren't universal which is fine. HOWEVER, whenever one of these perspectives bring about anything critical or negative it is some how objectively false. Why is that? It appears the biggest controversy this game has is the lack of respeccing. People who want it have all the sanity and logic that exists in all of gaming backing them, yet so many people stand by the lack of it. Mind you this is on an objectively preferred feature at least to the average gamer; I know you people probably don't like those, but hey its almost like the average person likes sane logical things and aren't blinded by FANaticism.

Oh right, the humility thing. Monkey see monkey do, honestly read what you yourself type:
"You create a permanent container for free. Wrap your head around this: it's like a locker that you don't have to pay for. Crazy, I know."
"The economy isn't that punishing outside of DOMINATING, and there's no way you're playing on that difficulty"
"You may be under the delusion that you're dispensing pearls of game design wisdom, but you're not. Honestly, the mix of arrogance and ignorance you're exhibiting is almost impressive."
This is how people converse online for the most part, always full of snarky sarcasm and such, especially when each thinks themselves objectively correct. Difference here is, I don't think I am right. I am simply stating that during my time playing the game I have come across some things, obnoxious things, outdated things, things that are artificial for he sake of being artificial, nor for world building, not for anything other than someone didn't want it this way so it isn't regardless of practicality, internal logic or whatever.

Look, you are right, it would go more smoothly if I perhaps took all emotion out of my suggesting and complaining, but where does that go? Usually nowhere. Why? Because for the most part stuff like that tend to be benign, forgotten, made irrelevant.
What do you think will get heard/remembered?

Putting a sign up passively aggressively mentioning how people need to clean up their pets poop in the park?
Or
Someone straight up confronting the non poop scooping narduels and shaming them in their face. Just getting right up in there saying
"OI! BRUV! PICK YA DOGS SHITE UP RIGHT THE HELL NOW!

In essence it takes hundreds of people saying/complaining/suggesting/requesting things in a benign non confrontational tone to ever even be recognized.
Only takes one flame fueled rant to get noticed, perhaps only briefly. Either way, better to be a quick flame then a drop in an ocean.

5. "The game is perfectly designed. If you want QoL changes literally download a cheat engine and cheat".
I play games how they are meant to be played. I then form opinions on those games as I play them, the way they were meant to be played.
If I wanted to cheat, I would do it my second play through (ha) if I bother to do a second one. The sheer fact you are suggesting this really does tell me the game has its issues. Suggesting literal cheats instead of any other alternative is almost like a Freudian Slip in my book.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 05:53:45 pm »
I don't understand how your solution solves the problem of merchant runs taking so much time. If I needed coins and knew some rich merchant is buying riot gear sets I just found, I would stop what I was doing and backtrack to that merchant, losing lots of time in the process. And I would still be inclined to do merchant runs because they sell useful components and Napalm grenades won't make themselves.

Besides I think the problem with stuff merchants buy is already solved by limited amount of currency they own. You can fairly easily get all the coins they have if you carry some varied, expensive stuff and sell it as someone wants it. If you can't carry it get a feat and you are set.

The game is not designed with selling all the loot you find in mind. Which has imo positive impact on gameplay because I don't collect all the junk I find and make informed decission on whether to pick it up or not.

LudoErgoSum

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 06:48:32 pm »

[...]

1. This coming from someone who likened Underrail to a "clicker game" and yet played for 50+ hours and claims to have spent 20% of that time just running between merchants. I think you're more of a "masochistic whackjob" than you're giving yourself credit for.

2. Game mechanics are always artificial, and they always require suspension of disbelief. Get over it. Also, how is a "shopping list" that gets automagically updated irrespective of the player's location in the game world less immersion-breaking? Is the player character remotely reading the minds of all the merchants at regular 90-minute intervals?

3. The crafting benches aren't a gimmick, they're incredibly useful, because crafting is tremendously good for basically all builds. If you spent half as much time learning about the game as you do writing inane rants, you'd understand that. Also, for utility, you just need the basement and the workbenches. You don't need lockers, or the top floor, or literally anything else. When you drop something on the ground, guess what happens? You create a permanent container for free. Wrap your head around this: it's like a locker that you don't have to pay for. Crazy, I know.

4. Genuinely laughing at "setting up those stashes." Thanks for that. Yes, what an arduous and time-consuming chore it is to spend 5 seconds to Alt+Left Click a few items into a container window. Also, you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that most players slavishly visit every merchant at every reset. This is not the case. It's enough to simply drop by whenever you happen to be in the area; you don't need to deliberately go out of your way to perform a full circuit of every merchant in the game at every reset. It's just not necessary. The economy isn't that punishing outside of DOMINATING, and there's no way you're playing on that difficulty. You're deliberately making the game tedious for yourself and then complaining about the level of tedium.

5. Finally, all of this bitching of yours is just flogging a dead horse. Cheat Engine already exists. There's already speed hack and an infinite carry weight hack and many other things besides. Lots of people use them and you, too, can use them. I believe in you.

1. I didn't realize I was spending so much time doing merchant runs until I noticed how many hours I had in the game. Thinking back on previous RPG experiences no other RPG even small niche indie ones have had such an obnoxious gameplay loop in recent memory.

2. Automagically...cute, however you do realize one of the literal first things you are introduced to is the fact the game has in universe communication tools yes? Email, tv broadcasting later on, and even mentions of straight up phones and phone calls. So uh, ya, its not magical, its autotechnological AKA technology.

3. Yes, it is, it is crazy that you can buy containers for your items when, like you said; you can just drop stuff anywhere and create infinite magic containers wherever you like. So uh, why the fuck have containers? Or at least why the hell have containers you can buy for your house? You can't label them, you can't subdivide them or improve inventory sorting with them, they act identical to stuff on ground, so why? Oh, aesthetics...pointless drivel essentially. Most games do this, Skyrim for example. The reason I called the benches a "gimmick" is because it straight up follows the trope of player housing, where most of the player housing feature is pointless aside from one practical caveat; crafting usually. Seems underrail streamlines more than most here realize.

4. "Setting up stashes" was a bit vague, and yes it is personal choice trying to organize loot, however. That is entirely normal behavior especially in games that have explicit player housing. Bethesda games are perfect examples of this.
I feel the game has an identity crisis, or perhaps its better to say peoples views of what the game IS seem to conflict.
One person will call this an open world/open ended RPG, another will call it a strategic turnbased action game. Clearly perspectives aren't universal which is fine. HOWEVER, whenever one of these perspectives bring about anything critical or negative it is some how objectively false. Why is that? It appears the biggest controversy this game has is the lack of respeccing. People who want it have all the sanity and logic that exists in all of gaming backing them, yet so many people stand by the lack of it. Mind you this is on an objectively preferred feature at least to the average gamer; I know you people probably don't like those, but hey its almost like the average person likes sane logical things and aren't blinded by FANaticism.

Oh right, the humility thing. Monkey see monkey do, honestly read what you yourself type:
"You create a permanent container for free. Wrap your head around this: it's like a locker that you don't have to pay for. Crazy, I know."
"The economy isn't that punishing outside of DOMINATING, and there's no way you're playing on that difficulty"
"You may be under the delusion that you're dispensing pearls of game design wisdom, but you're not. Honestly, the mix of arrogance and ignorance you're exhibiting is almost impressive."
This is how people converse online for the most part, always full of snarky sarcasm and such, especially when each thinks themselves objectively correct. Difference here is, I don't think I am right. I am simply stating that during my time playing the game I have come across some things, obnoxious things, outdated things, things that are artificial for he sake of being artificial, nor for world building, not for anything other than someone didn't want it this way so it isn't regardless of practicality, internal logic or whatever.

Look, you are right, it would go more smoothly if I perhaps took all emotion out of my suggesting and complaining, but where does that go? Usually nowhere. Why? Because for the most part stuff like that tend to be benign, forgotten, made irrelevant.
What do you think will get heard/remembered?

Putting a sign up passively aggressively mentioning how people need to clean up their pets poop in the park?
Or
Someone straight up confronting the non poop scooping narduels and shaming them in their face. Just getting right up in there saying
"OI! BRUV! PICK YA DOGS SHITE UP RIGHT THE HELL NOW!

In essence it takes hundreds of people saying/complaining/suggesting/requesting things in a benign non confrontational tone to ever even be recognized.
Only takes one flame fueled rant to get noticed, perhaps only briefly. Either way, better to be a quick flame then a drop in an ocean.

5. "The game is perfectly designed. If you want QoL changes literally download a cheat engine and cheat".
I play games how they are meant to be played. I then form opinions on those games as I play them, the way they were meant to be played.
If I wanted to cheat, I would do it my second play through (ha) if I bother to do a second one. The sheer fact you are suggesting this really does tell me the game has its issues. Suggesting literal cheats instead of any other alternative is almost like a Freudian Slip in my book.

First, please use quotes the way they're intended, and don't try to attribute claims to me that I didn't make even by implication. That's just dishonest.

Your opinion that ranting loudly is a better way to have your complaints addressed is patently wrong. This whole chain of posts is proof of that. Nobody is taking you seriously. Everyone is telling you to that, essentially, you just need to get better at the game. Nobody will remember this. You haven't gotten anywhere. This is a game forum, you're not disrupting anyone's life, the real-world analogy doesn't hold. (Also, what is a "narduel?" Do you mean "ne'er-do-well?") I've just seen your rants on the steam forums and reddit as well, and you're getting the same negative results. If your purpose is just to scream and whine like a child, then I guess you've achieved that. If your purpose is to convince literally anyone else that your opinions are correct, you're going about it the wrong way. As for the whole humility issue, the difference is that you're ostensibly addressing both the devs and a wide player base, all of whom have vastly greater knowledge than you of this game specifically (and, speaking at the very least of the devs, of game design more generally). Meanwhile, I'm addressing you directly, and you've already established the tone. I was just responding in kind. Let me phrase this in the simplest way possible: you started it. "Monkey see, monkey do."

Underrail is not a competitive multiplayer game. If there are easily available means of improving game QoL (according to whatever _you personally_ consider that to be, regardless of whether there are or are not any objective issues) in a single-player game and you deliberately eschew them, then you're quite literally the "masochist" you keep accusing others of being. Also, look up what "Freudian Slip" actually means. Nobody is saying this game is perfect, we're just not compelled by _your complaints_ specifically.

Here's the bottom line: of course the game has issues, every game in existence does, and nobody is denying that, but so far you've failed to convince anyone that you've correctly identified any of said issues. It's just that the alleged issues that you've pointed out thus far are either solved by third parties or aren't actually issues at all and just a consequence of you being bad at the game and stubbornly refusing to adapt or to learn anything. Anyway, keep flailing pointlessly and screaming into the void if you want to.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:57:09 pm by LudoErgoSum »

slyguy65

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 03:48:09 pm »
Alright. After playing to nearly the end of the game. I am 100% calling anyone trying to object or argue the idea that long distance communication is not a thing or possible or appropriate for underrail. Is completely, and utterly full of shit.

1. Tchort has two quests where you are literally given a 2 way comm device.
"WelL AkTUallY itS oNLY ShoRt DIstANce"
YES YOU ARE RIGHT! BUT GUESS WHAT FUCKO! In the dialogue it makes explicit mention of how he COULD procure a long range radio but doesn't have the time. CHECK MATE!

2. The entire DLC. Ya, they just straight up have a comm device the entire DLC. The fact people were calling the idea of having two way communication not possible in the first few replies, either didn't play the DLC or are just well, idiots.
"THaT techNoloGY ISn'T AcceSSIble iIn SouTH UndErrAIL"
Ok, so now we made progress, it went from being non existent to possible but not plausible, ok, ok.

3. LORA FUCKING BAKER
At the last stretch of the game, you come across an old sidequest NPC. Guess fucking what she has to say. She says a bunch of stuff, but point is. She explicitly says that she "contacted tanner" meaning long distance two way communication is not only available in south underrail but SOUTH GATE STATION, YOUR HOME HAS ACCESS TO IT!

Honestly. At this point the only people who are against the ability to contact merchants via some sort of comms device are just masochists who object to any possible form of quality of life when pragmatically and lore wise it makes fucking sense and should be a thing.

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:56 pm »

Alright. After playing to nearly the end of the game. I am 100% calling anyone trying to object or argue the idea that long distance communication is not a thing or possible or appropriate for underrail. Is completely, and utterly full of shit.

Well I love hearing that I'm full of shit so I'm going to answer that!

1. The fact that the physic department of an institute with enormous resources has access to a certain technology is not very informative on the availability of said technology. Especially when the institute is almost entirely cut from the rest of the world. On top of that, "long range" does not imply "covers the entirety of underrail".

2. The Black Sea is set in one large cave. South Underrail is a maze of corridors. It should be obvious that long range communication is easier in the former.

3. I would like the quote from the game, because I honestly don't remember precisely what Lora said in Talos outpost. I'll just point that "contacting" someone can be done in many ways, not all of them being long range com devices.

So, at least it is far from being as obvious as you think. Anyway, the lore is a secondary issue here. The problem is: you still haven't convinced anyone that this shopping list would be useful. I know, we're all close minded masochistic elitists. But maybe... just maybe... you could be wrong?