Author Topic: Efficient shields/converters  (Read 2012 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Efficient shields/converters
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:46:54 am »
So, I think we can all agree that efficient shields are probably too good.

That massive pool of shielding makes you virtually immune to bullets for a while (except sniper crits), which makes tacvests less of a good choice.  Also energy pistols, electricity, fire.  So I had an idea:

What if efficient shields didn't have increased capacity, but instead regenerated energy lost to damage?  Like x% of damage lost at y% per round?
So you get shot 3 times this round, for 40, 50, and 30 damage (120 total).  You have a strong efficient shield that regenerates 80% of damage lost at 20% of that damage per round, so your shield will regenerate 96 of that damage lost at 19 points per round.  Additional damage gets factored in to the total.

High energy efficiency converters exist for energy pistols as well, so we keep them, but they replace shield capacitors for the conservative enhancement (I would make other shields drain 5% of their total each round to make this a better choice).  Instead, we let electromagnetic field stabilizers be the "efficient" enhancement component.
I only suggest this changing of components because it makes more sense according to their descriptions, to me anyway.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:54:29 am by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
Re: Efficient shields/converters
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:27:37 am »
Hey,

I agree that the efficient shields are way to overpowered.

I got a 180 core and high efficiency energy converter + power management, and i got a shield with 2800 healthpoints.

After i imported my character into a dominating game, it carried me trough most parts of the game. They are to strong...

I like your new idea. Because the shield recharger still isn't in the game itself it and this would be the first method to recharge a shield during combat.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

ClickClickBoom

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:52:08 am »
Could always just throw around more Greater Coil Spiders and give more humans EMP grenades. ;D

But in all seriousness I'm not sure an example of a shield using very late game components, a feat and high skill requirement shield and using it on a level 1 is a good case for them being too strong. Would be like transferring ql180 tungsten metal armour onto a new character then complaining the game was too easy.

Efficient shields should do what it implies, greatly increase the efficiency of the shield (health) but decrease the amount it can block accordingly. Right now it's pretty much all +'s and no -'s. Regenerating shields would kind of go against the main restriction of shields, that being not recharging them in combat.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:20:57 pm »
Hey,

Could always just throw around more Greater Coil Spiders and give more humans EMP grenades. ;D

But in all seriousness I'm not sure an example of a shield using very late game components, a feat and high skill requirement shield and using it on a level 1 is a good case for them being too strong. Would be like transferring ql180 tungsten metal armour onto a new character then complaining the game was too easy.

Efficient shields should do what it implies, greatly increase the efficiency of the shield (health) but decrease the amount it can block accordingly. Right now it's pretty much all +'s and no -'s. Regenerating shields would kind of go against the main restriction of shields, that being not recharging them in combat.

I forgot to mention, i killed the entire institute alone. And as far as i know, you'll be like level 22-25 when you reach it.

And i don't even want to mention the bossfight. I  was almost immune against it.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 04:56:32 pm »
Regenerating shields would kind of go against the main restriction of shields, that being not recharging them in combat.

I don't think you understood what I said. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:25 am »
Regenerating shields would kind of go against the main restriction of shields, that being not recharging them in combat.

Did you know there is a combat-shieldrecharger in the files of the game? ;P So it might be intended to recharge /regenerate the shield in the future.

-Azura
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 12:20:34 pm »

Did you know there is a combat-shieldrecharger in the files of the game? ;P So it might be intended to recharge /regenerate the shield in the future.

-Azura

That is something that used to be in the game that was taken out. Somehow I doubt Styg plans to reintroduce it...

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:24:57 pm »
Sounds kind of overcomplicated, I wish shields were looked at in the most elegant and simple way possible, they are already quite complex devices.

-Azura

That is something that used to be in the game that was taken out. Somehow I doubt Styg plans to reintroduce it...
There should be a single one in the entire game, hidden somewhere.