Author Topic: Salesman: what exactly does it do?  (Read 3443 times)

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Salesman: what exactly does it do?
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:42:25 am »
I really enjoy trading in this game, but I'm not clear on what Salesman does.

By amount of items, does that mean that, if say, Constantine wants to buy two firearms from me, with 100 Mercantile and Salesman, he'd buy four instead?

Though I initially thought taking a Mercantile-related feat would be a good idea, if that's how it works I'm not so sure this would be useful to me as one crafted item is already worth like 2-3 times the cash a merchant carries.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Salesman: what exactly does it do?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:17:53 am »
That's about it, for more money you'll have to wait for this veteran feat.

Major Supplier - Increases the amount of money the merchants are willing to use when trading with you by 2% per mercantile skill.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:19:39 am »
That's about it, for more money you'll have to wait for this veteran feat.

Major Supplier - Increases the amount of money the merchants are willing to use when trading with you by 2% per mercantile skill.
:o
It's...perfect....

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:33:08 pm »
Salesman isn't all that bad if you expect that you're going to need to do some merchant rounds while you grind up Super Steel.  It's also fairly helpful in the early game, before you open up the world.

You end up with a lot of damaged or low-quality loot in the early and mid game, and with Salesman you can usually offload it just about as fast as you get it.  I didn't think I would find it useful, but I tried it and if you're going to get that 105 effective Mercantile to unlock all the stuff anyway, it ends up being fairly handy.  It also makes those PITA merchants who only want to buy random nonsense a bit more approachable - they're more likely to take a few high-quality repair kits off your hands, or a bunch of leather armors, and give you a way to pull their charons off of them.

Ultimately it's just QoL. There's never a need for Salesman.  But it's very noticeable, especially if you spend a lot of time interacting with merchants.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:08:50 am »
Salesman isn't all that bad if you expect that you're going to need to do some merchant rounds while you grind up Super Steel.  It's also fairly helpful in the early game, before you open up the world.

You end up with a lot of damaged or low-quality loot in the early and mid game, and with Salesman you can usually offload it just about as fast as you get it.  I didn't think I would find it useful, but I tried it and if you're going to get that 105 effective Mercantile to unlock all the stuff anyway, it ends up being fairly handy.  It also makes those PITA merchants who only want to buy random nonsense a bit more approachable - they're more likely to take a few high-quality repair kits off your hands, or a bunch of leather armors, and give you a way to pull their charons off of them.

Ultimately it's just QoL. There's never a need for Salesman.  But it's very noticeable, especially if you spend a lot of time interacting with merchants.
Interesting. I guess the same could be said for Mercantile skill in general (e.g. less shopping around for high quality parts as they'll show up more often)

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:40:09 am »
If you had to choose between Salesman, Pack Rathound and Trap Expert, all QoL feats, who would you take?

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 12:07:38 pm »
Pack Rathound!!

I can never get enough.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 03:08:58 pm »
If you had to choose between Salesman, Pack Rathound and Trap Expert, all QoL feats, who would you take?
Salesman (for any build with some crafting and enough Mercantile, obviously) unless I was playing a heavy sledge, then Pack Rathound. I've never found Trap Expert to be helpful but then I also think less about QT than what appears to be the general consensus about it so I may just not be good at using traps.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:37:57 pm »
Pack Rathound. I NEED that loot. Even if I can't sell it I'll stuff it in my freakin locker for all I care

edit: oh, I forgot. There is one more thing I like Pack Rathound for:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:44:37 pm by crumbhouser »