Author Topic: Ideas for how to improve the game  (Read 1970 times)

Irphil47

• Noob
    • View Profile
Ideas for how to improve the game
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:24 pm »
Before I go on, I have just got to say how much I love this game. It really reminded of games like Fallout 1 and 2 or Wasteland 2. But I def noticed some things that I think could have made the game even more immersive, although I feel pretty much all of my complaints are 100% petty considering what a great job the developer(s) did in crafting this game. Here are some of my ideas, so feel free to pitch in any of your ideas as well.

1. It would be kind of cool if the different types of headgear you wore would change/match the appearance of your avatar. I mean, if you purchase a helmet or some sort of headband, it just sometimes feels weird to be looking at your character's picture looking exactly the same.

2. I think another cool feature would be if everything you gather would be visible on your actual character. I mean I understand how ridiculous it would be to show off organs, and minor components on the character, but at least have the character carry a bookbag or something where they can store some of the smaller items. Hell, maybe if your character has high enough psi, he can just have a small purple ball of energy hovering just above him and whenever your character retrieves an item, the energy ball opens like a mini-portal for you to get whatever you need or toss whatever items you don't. Maybe in that case, your physical level of strength wouldn't matter but rather your level of psi, and depending on your level the more things that energy ball can carry.

3. Companion characters. Underrail is a big and interesting world with a lot of lore and some really well written characters, but it's a little disheartening to be traveling through the entire game alone.

4. I also found it kind of ridiculous at times how if I came across a locked door that I couldn't lockpick or hack, that I couldn't just use my psi abilities to rip the door off its hinges or literally melt it to the ground....or freeze the door and shatter it with a hammer. I'm just saying, it would have been nice for your character to have more then two options "open door" or "oh, you can't open a door despite having insane superpowers that can wipe out an entire room of armed thugs"

5. Multiple endings. I admit, I'm not really sure how many their are, but it would be cool if their were several. If there are then please disregard this.

6. Would be kind of cool if your character could hit a light jog rather then literally walk everywhere. Also, I think if your character could crouch or lie down would be pretty cool because then maybe that can affect your visibility and accuracy with long range weapons.

Well alright then, I think this is all I've got thus far.

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for how to improve the game
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:45:52 pm »
I'm sorry but your lock door complaint had me dieing. 10/10. By that logic all combat skills should be able to open doors......I'm rat hound king, but your telling me my acid bolts can't melt the doors? What about explosives that carry eno ugh tnt to blow through the doors. That would completely defeat the purpose of lock picking and hacking doors. On tablet sorry for bad typing

Rudest

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:14:56 pm »
Some basic degree of character customization would be nice, or at least some sort of hair color slider. But, as it is, what we have is enough. Not strictly necessary in the face of other potential content. I wouldn't say no but it wouldn't kill me to soley rely on portraits - I love the portrait art.

I've never really liked companions in these sorts of games (Gonna cite Fallout 1 + 2 and Arcanum as the closest approximations). This is a game where combat can become a puzzle- an and an AI companion would more than likely lead to lots of save scumming to try and keep them alive since one misstep can result in death. Stealth is usually harder with followers,and finally, there is a certain level of foreboding ambiance that is lost when you're not exploring alone. As far as I'm concerned followers without some form of direct control, more often than not, are more of a burden.

While more realistic, your suggestion about doors and containers borders on complaining about gamey mechanics. Fun and balance come before real world logic.Implementing that means invalidating lockpicking and hacking. It means that rather than gaining the ability to open doors and subvert obstacles, you are instead met with the opportunity cost of gaining nothing from sinking points into them. Granted, I suppose they would still have purpose as silent alternatives.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:19:59 pm by Rudest »

hayaku

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »
Custom order ability....

Sick of doing endless vendor refreshes just to get that one bolt of cloth that is *exactly* of a certain quality (but not so high that it exceeds crafting skill cap)?

Would be nice to be able to tell a vendor that you want something... and so on next refresh they restock with a higher chance of having at least a few of that item.
Could even attach a small fee to it, something small like 5 coins or whatnot. Order carries over until next visit, with  "we got that item you requested" message or something.

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »
Custom order ability....

Sick of doing endless vendor refreshes just to get that one bolt of cloth that is *exactly* of a certain quality (but not so high that it exceeds crafting skill cap)?

Would be nice to be able to tell a vendor that you want something... and so on next refresh they restock with a higher chance of having at least a few of that item.
Could even attach a small fee to it, something small like 5 coins or whatnot. Order carries over until next visit, with  "we got that item you requested" message or something.

+++ Was looking for black fabric and max quality I had in shops was ~100 and I was lvl 25. It's such a pain to get something you need with high quality, got all assault rifles with quality 150+ before DC, but no sniper frames with quality at least of 110.