Author Topic: Real Time Underrail  (Read 3473 times)

Vain

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Real Time Underrail
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:01 pm »
May some of you remember old school game Cold Zero: The Last Stand / 2003
And I won't be surprised if authors of Underrail were inspired by this game at some point

10, 20 years have passed, but this game still stands unique with its mechanics that combine both rpg with different stats lvls, types of ammo and guns, armor, stealth, crafting
But the main element of "outstanding" and "super hardcore" is real time:
You don't have enough time to think and smoke a sig in-between turns, take meds or run away and so on

Does devs have plans to make it real time? Or... Maybe you had such plans before, but decided that it will be too difficult for the new /avg player(s)?
May we theoretically have such mode in a future? For instance mid or even long term roadmap?
Or it is better to say: can current game engine work this way or can it be transformed?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Real Time Underrail
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:29 pm »
According to the really long-time players here, UnderRail was originally real-time in combat.  I hadn't found the game back then, but you could ask epeli or one of the other bent and wizened ancients who shuffle through the musty halls and rooms of this forum.  They'll remember, if they haven't forgotten yet ;)

`louse`

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:17:46 am »
Does devs have plans to make it real time? Or... Maybe you had such plans before, but decided that it will be too difficult for the new /avg player(s)?
May we theoretically have such mode in a future? For instance mid or even long term roadmap?
Or it is better to say: can current game engine work this way or can it be transformed?
Abandon all hope ye who enter here) This can no longer happen, if only because it is impossible to quickly manipulate feats. For example, imagine Psion.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:24:23 am by `louse` »

Vain

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:19:26 pm »
Most as not to say almost all feets are accessable real time or can be easy transformed into real-time.
Real time mod/method can be both real Dominating level and new DLC, paid DLC.
So, might be after Expedition, devs will think about it as a new revenue stream, as being real-time, game will also cover one more game segment. Big and huge segment of AA steam games.
Second reason, today we see that game gets more competitors. For instance Atom RPG. So, making the game more and more Agile is good idea.
I saw that previous decision is based on only several old discussions. Times changing, market changing. We all remember Arma mod Battle Royale. And we all know that after 10 years it becomes  PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds.
Personally, I am not against even to see even MMORPG about Underrail
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:29:05 pm by Vain »

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »
I'm gonna be straight up honest about this. I'm one of those rare gamers who only plays turn-based combat rpgs. I've been around since the days of the Atari when combat games were much simpler, and as real-time combat became increasingly complex, I discovered I sucked at it.

TL;DR - I never would've bought Underrail if it had real-time combat.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
Frankly, real-time UnderRail would just be a different game.
You'd have better luck taking some existing engine + game-mechanics that already support real-time combat and making an UnderRail-themed mod for it, rather than trying to make the current UnderRail work in real-time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:35:32 pm by Tamior »

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 05:51:23 pm »
There are dozens of real-time combat games out there, but you think it is appropriate to turn one of the few games with good turn-based combat into real-time. Great, just great.

Regardless, I find this to be a terrible idea. Whatever creativity goes into combat needs to go to improving the turn-based systems that already exist. In addition, there are no games with good combat that is both turn-based and real-time. Stick to one and give it your best.

Real-time is "outstanding" and "hardcore"? It is for people with no brains. Which you admited yourself, when you said that there is no time to think.

Finally, this era is pretty good for turn-based RPGs commercially speaking, with DOS leading the way.

Vain

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:00 pm »
It is for people with no brains.

Looks like you are very aggressive and non-polite. Dude, you know, some people can tell that you can not think fast = you are slow and stupid. Do not grade people if they like things that you do not like.

I love the universe of underrail and love both TB and RT. So I have no brains? lol

Finally, this era is pretty good for turn-based RPGs commercially speaking, with DOS leading the way.
Debatable. Example. I am pro playing Heroes 3 (horn of the abyss). Popular Twitch game. 1-2ะบ players all over the world in game lobby every second day and night. Thats a real difficult Turn base model and very difficult mechanics if you study it in-depth.
Main problem of TB games(strategies and all kind of RPG)- they are not for the steaming. Most strategies do not have simultaneous turns mechanics. RPG are slow and nobody will watch when you do 2-3 moves in a minute.

Real-time can be mod or type of gaming!
Read twice before making criticism where you don't need to.
Now we have common exp and oddities systems. Both live together and both are very interesting. Making the game more Versatility brings more people = more money = more games and more content. Cycle lol. And sometimes it is interesting to try the game with new mod. Like today I play with XP, tomorrow with oddities. Today TB, tmr RT.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:19:49 pm by Vain »

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 07:22:40 pm »
You said that there is no time to think. I wrote the same thing with different words. If anyone insulted real-time gameplay first, it was you.

Vain

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:52 pm »
You said that there is no time to think. I wrote the same thing with different words. If anyone insulted real-time gameplay first, it was you.

I sad "ENOGHT time to think" and that's true compare with TB
And I did not named RT lovers "no brain people" like you did.

Admins, plz, stop mr. Trashos from rude and trolling.

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 08:36:10 am »
I am not trolling. I am in my best behavior around here.

You could have asked *me* to stop discussing with you, you know? I will oblige.

STEN

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 12:28:34 pm »
RTWP mode in current game, with single protagonist and tactically complex encounters, is terrible idea.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:38 am »
Most of Underrail's combat content (attacks/abilities) also works in both modes, only some AI behaviors lack real-time implementation as far as I know.
It's actually the other way around, most do not work because they lack real-time AI implementation.