Author Topic: Survival Instincts nerf  (Read 4256 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Survival Instincts nerf
« on: October 22, 2021, 03:24:22 pm »
Instead of a constant buff anytime you are below 30%, make it grant the buff for an amount of time when you drop below 30% or maybe anytime you get injured when below 30%. 

edit:  came up with this later in the thread: "Using the "bonus equal to damage just taken idea", what if, anytime you get damaged you get a buff for 1-3 turns (not sure, but I'm leaning towards 1) to your crit chance that scales with your hp percentage like stoicism?  So each time you take damage you get a boost, and the more wounded you are the bigger the boost gets (caps at 30%), but it only lasts a short time each time you get hurt."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:50:23 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Survival Instincts nerf
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:43:27 pm »
I feel like with both options, people would just use caltrops to manipulate health right before starting combat. SI instead should probably just give 20% crit chance.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 11:05:39 pm »
That's a huge pain in the ass though, and isn't always an option.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:49:46 am »
why you want to nerf it?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 02:59:49 am »
It's gay to walk around under 30%.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 03:15:24 am »
when you are not below 30% feat do nothing

Firozo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:28:20 am »
I do not understend why you wants nerf SI. For me SI is reward for a high Con (Thick Skull / Last Stand is weak without specialization, Conditioning is very specific feat). 
It's gay to walk around under 30%.
Not give SI and no problem  :)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 01:34:48 pm »
People use SI as a permanent +30% crit bonus.  They take 9 con just for that; they have no interest in tanking or otherwise "being tough" (with the exception of stoicism damage reduction style builds).  They walk around as heavily wounded glass cannons who use mp, CC, corners, etc to not get hit (which I think is fine on its own).  It's cheesy powergaming.  This would make it fall in line with its intended use, which is getting a boost when you are heavily wounded. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 03:34:42 pm »
who does that?people on reddit?May be we shoul' nerf tranquility too:people powergaming walking behind corners not getting damage and casting their infinite spells

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 04:07:35 pm »
Maybe a better change would be “after taking damage, gain crit chance equal to half the percentage of health lost for 2 rounds”. For example, gettin hit by an AR burst that takes you from 100% health to 40% health would give +30% crit chance. This way characters don’t just walk around under 30% health, and builds focused around a powerful alpha strike have to expend resources like throwing a grenade to get the crit boost. It also makes SI much more appealing to tank builds, who normally don’t walk around at low health without stoicism.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 04:51:53 pm »
tank builds rarely get bursted down to low health from full.Just leave feat alone, there a lot of feats that deserve attention rather feat that used to reach conditional 100% crit for 6 stats

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 07:21:02 pm »
If you're not walking around with low health, then a few turns of +crit% should be fine. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

KnifegaF

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 02:50:43 am »
This feat is antithetical to tanking. The rare occurrence it actually helps isn’t worth it on a tank build IMO. I’d say you are tanking wrong if it is getting lots of action. Maybe a heavy leather build with TM and specced Stoicism but I think you are going to just reduce build variation by nerfing it this way and turn it more of a niche feat or a low priority one. Or you’ll just have the crit junkies do work arounds for the fights that really matter. Not seeing the upside to a nerf here.

Edit: I would also like to add cutting the duration would mostly hurt tankier builds anyway that can survive fights at the low of HP since they typically sacrifice DPS for survivability. They’ll get a few shots in sure but if you make it 2(3) turns your glass cannons will still end their fights before the duration is gone. Make it 1(2) turns and it’s useless to anything that isn’t glass.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:57:11 am by KnifegaF »

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 09:22:22 am »
It should get nerfed as the playstyle it encourages is, well, wrong. It forces you to get high Con, just so you trade most of your hitpoints into massive critchance, changing your tank into glassiest of cannons. It makes no sense from character building perspective. The feat should promote risky tanky playstyle, not forgo the tanky aspect.

I would change it into something like: gain 1% crit chance per 10hps lost during last turn, up to 30%, for the next turn. Reward tanks for tanking instead of turning them from tanks to twigs.

EDIT: Damn, Shoggothwhisperer came up with similar idea already....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:27:45 am by Turbodevil »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 02:34:56 pm »
This feat is antithetical to tanking. The rare occurrence it actually helps isn’t worth it on a tank build IMO. I’d say you are tanking wrong if it is getting lots of action. Maybe a heavy leather build with TM and specced Stoicism but I think you are going to just reduce build variation by nerfing it this way and turn it more of a niche feat or a low priority one. Or you’ll just have the crit junkies do work arounds for the fights that really matter. Not seeing the upside to a nerf here.

Edit: I would also like to add cutting the duration would mostly hurt tankier builds anyway that can survive fights at the low of HP since they typically sacrifice DPS for survivability. They’ll get a few shots in sure but if you make it 2(3) turns your glass cannons will still end their fights before the duration is gone. Make it 1(2) turns and it’s useless to anything that isn’t glass.

That's fine.  As a tank, there are a handful of things that can hurt you quickly, in which case even a couple turns can make a big difference for you.  And even if you're getting worn down slowly, a few turns of higher crit chance can win you the fight (especially if you're ranged or psi).  However, consider in the OP I said "when you drop below 30% or maybe anytime you get injured when below 30%" in the latter case it would likely get renewed every turn.

I admit people might just start walking around with 40 or 50% health so they can get hit and trigger it.  Using the "bonus equal to damage just taken idea", what if, anytime you get damaged you get a buff for 1-3 turns (not sure, but I'm leaning towards 1) to your crit chance that scales with your hp percentage like stoicism?  So each time you take damage you get a boost, and the more wounded you are the bigger the boost gets (caps at 30%), but it only lasts a short time each time you get hurt.  This doesn't stop a near-death glass cannon from stepping on a caltrop and going nova for a turn, but at least they'd only get a turn (and be almost dead and very squishy afterwards, whereas a tank is still tanky). 
*eurobeat intensifies*