Author Topic: A bunch of stuff  (Read 1781 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
A bunch of stuff
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »
EDIT:  Adding:  Corpses should be "under" enemies on the battlefield.  When an enemy is standing on top of several corpses, they are often very hard to target with the mouse, especially if their outline moving (like when stunned), because the mouse considers the corpses to be a higher priority for clicking.

Shouldn't caltrops make noise?  As it is, I can throw some right at the feet of an enemy without triggering combat.  Flares don't seem to draw attention either.

I still say we need a way to easily generate noise, like shooting a gun at nothing or just yelling.  I know there are grenades, but those cost some money and you can blow yourself up accidentally.  There's TNT as well, I know.

Is there any particular reason we can't poison a combat knife? 

Down in GMS, in the room where the two raiders are keeping the old man hostage, the old man turns hostile if you use quick tinkering to place a beartrap (even if he doesn't step on it), and it's an uncontrolled zone.  That doesn't seem right to me.  It took me a long time to figure out why his outline was turning red.

Speaking of quick tinkering; it's probably too good.  I think it should have some AP cost, perhaps modified by dex. 

Enemies don't go into alert when they trigger a trap in an area they are familiar with; shouldn't they turn orange-eyed and go looking around?  I can slowly whittle groups of enemies to death with traps without ever getting into a fight, and it just feels very cheap.  Traps are cheap and plentiful.  Sometimes the same patrolling enemy will consistently run into traps in the SAME PLACE until he dies.  I mean, I don't do that if I see that it's the case, but it's there.

Turning hopper meat into hopper steaks, otherwise why do they drop it?  A free health hypo at the very beginning of the game?

Selling combat utilities (nets, t knives) and "junk" items (rags, bottles, bolt triggers); I get why nobody wants to buy junk, but maybe one person in junkyard who buys them from you in bulk via dialogue options?  Not a big deal, there's infinite money in the game.

You can enter stealth in combat and use snipe against an enemy, even if you did so right in front of them and they can still see you.  As long as you aren't damaged (or just attacked? not sure) or otherwise out of stealth before attacking (can't even use it unless you are "stealthed").  That seems wrong to me; I figure at the very least they shouldn't have a filled red eye for it to work against them.

Metal helmets:  there should be some downside to shaded visors, like a worse perception and/or detection penalty.  As it stands, there's no reason to use a regular visor aside from price and that's hardly an issue.

Is there any particular reason why shields can't be their own item/blueprint?  Something you put in one of your weapon slots?  They'd restrict to one-handed weapons and have armor penalties, of course.

Do tasers with higher quality shock generators require higher fortitude to resist?  They ought to.  Why aren't tasers something you can find?  You can find cloaking devices.

Line of sight seems very strange.  Sometimes an enemy can shoot me from where they are, even if I can't shoot them from where I am, when range isn't a factor.  Sometimes I'll be in the first square around a corner and still get hit.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:58:42 am by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
Speaking of quick tinkering; it's probably too good.  I think it should have some AP cost, perhaps modified by dex. 

Selling combat utilities (nets, t knives) and "junk" items (rags, bottles, bolt triggers); I get why nobody wants to buy junk, but maybe one person in junkyard who buys them from you in bulk via dialogue options?  Not a big deal, there's infinite money in the game.
Seems like making QT have an AP cost takes away the whole purpose of it. Maybe just increasing the cooldown from 2 turns to 5, so that you can't keep two melee targets bear trapped indefinitely, though? Dex is already almost too powerful a stat.

I wish we could buy a pressure cooker or something for the house and turn those rags into bandages. Wouldn't be 1-to-1 obviously but if you end up scrapping a lot of leather armor you sure do have more rags than you can realistically use. But bottles and bolt triggers aren't junk - they're vital for crafting.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:28:51 pm »
I think QT is fine the way it's, especially with the new dominating difficulty.

I get that it's bad when a game power-creep (new skill/gear introduce by update/DLC/expansion) but it's also bad when you over-nerf things. With the ver 1.03.x update we already see tons of nerfs:

Expertise - now 5mm SMG are useless on higher difficulty.
Infused leather nerf - this really hurts DEX brawler/psi monk due to the leather quality drop from Q19x to Q13x for fists. Tabi and leather armor provide less dodge/evasion bonus, combine with the global 30% NPC skill increase means dodge/evasion builds are no longer effective at dominating difficulty.
Powerfist stat reduced - metal fist build are already quite weak and they are now even weaker.
Infused siphoner tabi boots - dodge/evasion builds take another hit as you can no longer be immune to immobilization.
Reduced the ranged weapon precision reduction from low light slightly - seems good for players at first, but it actually reduces your chance to evade by standing in low light - yet ANOTHER hit to dodge/evasion build.
AP cost to retreat - making farming Faceless oddities that much harder.
Three-Pointer crit chance will now scale by throwing skill instead from dexterity - this is actually a nerf. High crit chance previously enjoyed by high DEX builds are now gone.

Instead of reducing player power I like to see more harder optional area and/or enemies.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:31:10 pm by destroyor »

Twiglard

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:13:27 am »
> AP cost to retreat - making farming Faceless oddities that much harder.

This was such an obvious cheese I'm happy it's gone. Bet a lot of players (not just myself) noticed the cheese potential right at the start of the game.

> Instead of reducing player power I like to see more harder optional area and/or enemies.

There's a whole lot of difference between a mechanical change (tweak a coefficient in the combat system) and adding a new area or enemy type with its own animations! Of course I'd love to see new stuff too :)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:56:18 pm »
Is there any particular reason why shields can't be their own item/blueprint?  Something you put in one of your weapon slots?  They'd restrict to one-handed weapons and have armor penalties, of course.

Because of the sprite graphics, most likely. Every armor/clothing type would need sprites for holding a shield. At least that's how it was originally, IIRC Styg and co changed the animation system while working on Expedition specifically to make new animations easier to add.

Twiglard

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:47:30 am »
Are the sprites paperdoll-like now?

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »
Not in the current live version. And only Styg and his minions know how things work in their dev builds.  :P