Author Topic: NPC Trap Detection  (Read 1437 times)

Execlectic

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
NPC Trap Detection
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:54:41 am »
Hello,

I'm looking for some information on how NPCs detect the player's placed traps. Is there some sort of skill value for each NPC, is it player trap skill dependent, or something else entirely? I have 38 in traps right now and the mutants in the junkyard won't walk over even the bear traps, so I was just wondering if I need to increase my skill, or if human NPCs are always going to see my traps, or what have you.

Thanks for reading!

beyond.wudge

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Trap Detection
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:47:24 am »
From experience, a high traps skill will cause enemies to not see / react to your traps.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 11:03:27 am »
The check is individual for each enemy, their trap detection vs your traps skill.
You can see your own trap detection skill in the stats overview.

Trap detection is determined by your perception, your level, equipment like motion detection goggles, feats like paranoia and your own traps skill. Enemies do just the same thing. You can also make it more difficult for enemies to spot your traps with the trap expert feat (+25% difficulty).

If enemies keep avoiding or disarming your traps, then your set trap skill is too low for the particular enemy.
Most often, this is because character level plays a big part in detection. On higher difficulties, you can encounter early on high level enemies (like lvl 10, 15, 20 etc) who have really high detection.
Edit: Animals dont care, they just run into your traps.

In your particular case, 38 traps skill is probably quite too low for the junkyard mutant area.
Equipping Trapper's belt, Jacknife, eating an eel sandwich to raise dexterity are all ways to increase your skill but you need more hard points if you want enemies to walk into traps consistently.

Execlectic

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:20:52 am »
Thank you for the information!

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 01:58:13 am »
My recommendation for trap enthusiast is to NOT pick Trap Expert, but pick Quick Tinkering so you can create beeline of traps, forcing your enemy to get through. Most mutant are dumb enough for this, but Lurkers won't get tricked. They'll go all the way around, or simply won't step on it.

Aggroing the enemy sometimes makes them step on the trap even when they could see it.