Author Topic: [Quest] Get Rid of the Faceless, too low level?  (Read 7024 times)

Heitomos

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
[Quest] Get Rid of the Faceless, too low level?
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:56:47 am »
I'm currently being tasked by the story to go and see to Rail Crossing, and help them out. They appear to have a faceless problem, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to help them. I go south from the Militia leader, like they say, but there's a Faceless with an insanely powerful laser gun and level 20, whereas by this point I'm level 10, and I've done a fair amount of sidequesting for some extra XP.

Have I missed something? Do I need to explore more? Am I just going the wrong way?

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] Get Rid of the Faceless, too low level?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:12 am »
Yes, you're too low level, you should be about level 12 for that really.  You should try camp hathor first, it's generally easier (and bring plenty of antidotes xD).  Also, I hope you aren't trying that with the plasma sentries running around ;) that would be even difficult at level 12.  It's also much easier with an energy shield, which you can get through the main quest, crafting, or otherwise, as lasers cannot penetrate shields really, they have to knock them out fully first.

That being said, you should be able to tackle that part at just about any level.  If you're having trouble with individual characters, that is a sign your character doesn't have enough damage (non psi) or crowd control (psi) or both (imo all characters should have 40 psychokineses ;)).  Additionally, heavy armor players have trouble with energy weapons until you do foundry and craft tichrome.

Anyways, post your build, and I can show you what's wrong with it ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:02:48 pm by Greep »

Heitomos

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »
I'm full focused into melee, and I have an array of grenades I can use. I can beat up the Plasma Sentry just fine, but the level 20 guy, I only have a 50% chance to hit him. With Camp Hathor, I've already gone through there and killed the Rathound King, and I'm still only level 10. I've done all I can in terms of sidequests that I've found, so maybe I'm just missing some more? Fighting a level 20 as a level 12 doesn't seem very balanced. When I fought this guy, he never missed, and could drain all 400 points of my shield in one turn, maybe two, and I could also never hit him. My character is focused full in melee and all the crafting skills so that I could build the best gear I could find. Any suggestions for what I should do instead?

Heitomos

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:42 pm »
Also build wise:

Maximum Melee, Evasion, Dodge, and all of the crafting skills. Feats, I have Doctor, and all of the unarmed combat feats like Lightning Punches, Exploit Weakness, and Heavy Punch. I'm currently wielding Reinforced Tungsten Fists and Siphoner Leather Armor (And Tabi Boots, I can't seem to find a blueprint but I found a pair in a shop). I really don't want to remake my character. It's just wrong to be able to, with some spots of difficulty, as there should be, play 10-15 hours of a game with one build and suddenly be met with an impassable wall because of a difficulty spike. (I mean, level 12 and expected to fight level 20s doesn't seem right to me.)

The character has 5000 Charons and 3000 SGS credits, if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:02:29 pm by Heitomos »

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:14 pm »
Dex melee is the one build I haven't played, however, if you're having problems hitting, you should try stunning him or immobilizing him.  Easiest way for any character is get 40 psychokinesis and get premeditation.  Instant long range stun with 0 AP cost.  This won't get through a shield, so throw an emp grenade.  There's about 400 other ways of stunning, from tasers, to electroshock pistols, etc etc.  You could also use a throwing net and just reload until it hits lol, but that would be pretty lame xD  However, you mentioned you went full crafting, so I would go with a taser.  You can buy the blueprint from the electricity merchant in junkyard near the protectorate area.  Dirty kick is also a good choice for later in the game.

Additionally, dex melee should probably open with stealth and cut-throat.  Sure, make sure to focus on unarmed feats, but pick up "the best" other ones as they come.  Don't marry yourself to your weapon, you've got two weapon slots you can switch with no AP cost, work with your attributes and skills.  Best low perception dex weapons to consider are unarmed, dagger, crossbow, maybe machine gun, and pistols (energy, special, or w2c ammo). 

The game is also very openended.  A lot of times I actually end up doing that quest at level 16-18 just to let you know.  Sometimes I do it at 11.

Lastly, you didn't mention stealth, which should basically be a staple for any light armor character.  If you don't have it, it's not necessarily too late, just go full bore into point allocation in your next two levels.  Guns may also be needed for heavy armor guys, which you will be facing a lot of.  Your dex should make them useful even at low perception against heavy armor, although in most situations you can probably just hit and run them.

As far as leveling, if you're playing oddity, you may sometimes be low level due to bad luck from monster drops and not enough "rummaging": don't leave a barrel unturned ;)  Go to core city and do the first 4 arena levels.  Let the other entrants kill the enemies, and pick up the drops.  Also, I usually get the plasma sentry disrupter or this quest, as if you're having problems outside, wait until you get inside and have to fight one right next to a level 20 hammer warrior.  That quest should get you a level, and is just some silly bots, 'nade the guys outside if you need to.  Foundry quests also get you a ton of experience, the beast alone should get you a level and is an easy fight if you bring help (although killing balor is probably not possible with your build due to lack of subterfuge skills :/  I don't really know if you can stop the alarm's from going off without stealth)

Edit: Lastly, crafting is really not that great in this game, just an FYI XD  Its (usually) more of a skill dump for whenever you've got nothing better to spend :(  Kind of a shame they don't mention that, but yeah the lack of throwing and stealth due to crafting skills is what is crippling your character is my guess.  Usually dex also go for lock and hack xD

Final note: Forgot to mention as it seems obvious to me after playign the game a lot xD  But shoot yourself up with morphine before battle and adrenaline once you start it.  The math works out that if you take morphine before taking shots it is always beneficial.

Er.. final final note, since you have crafting, I think the absolute best way to handle it is a stun + a level 4 frag grenade.  High level characters get an extreme bonus against frag grenades due to their evasion.

.. but not if they can't dodge ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:24:22 am by Greep »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 05:01:50 pm »
Doctor is a waste for battle build.
All it do its just saves your sharons (and quest opportunities), but you are swimming in sharons.
Also, Heavy Punch isn't that good. Just like Reinforced Tungsten Fists is BS (take leather fists).
All you need is to MAX your DEX, take Cheap Shots instead of Doctor to incapasitate all patetic wrongdoers, take Fancy Footwork. That's all you need (and Stealth of course - to steal and kill).

Heitomos

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:40 am »
Doctor is a waste for battle build.
All it do its just saves your sharons (and quest opportunities), but you are swimming in sharons.
Also, Heavy Punch isn't that good. Just like Reinforced Tungsten Fists is BS (take leather fists).
All you need is to MAX your DEX, take Cheap Shots instead of Doctor to incapasitate all patetic wrongdoers, take Fancy Footwork. That's all you need (and Stealth of course - to steal and kill).

But with Leather Fists, how do I get past all of the heavy mechanical resistances? Even with Expose Weakness I can only get so far, and robots can't be incapacitated or stunned without an EMP grenade.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
But with Leather Fists, how do I get past all of the heavy mechanical resistances? Even with Expose Weakness I can only get so far, and robots can't be incapacitated or stunned without an EMP grenade.

Leather fists with http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pneumatic_Hammer or http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electroshock_Generator
And - knife with http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electroshock_Generator

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:45:36 am »
I've never had problem using metal glove builds. The down side of lower attacks per round is traded for damage per hit and the ease of applying status affects on heavily armored targets. I can also scrub using tailoring for crafting.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:43 am »
and the ease of applying status affects on heavily armored targets.

Which one?

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:47:34 pm »
Broken Ribs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:40:14 pm by LightningMonk »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »
Don't need it. )
I had 2 AP for hit with leather fists.