Author Topic: Complete walkthrough with 1st level character  (Read 16008 times)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Complete walkthrough with 1st level character
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »
Post subject speaks for itself.
I have a full pack of screenshots to confirm my words, if necessary.
More than that, my char have psionic build.
Strength        3
Dexterity       3
Agility            8
Constitution  3
Perception    5
Will               10
Intelligence   8

Feats: Ninja Looter, Snooping.

I have done all quests.
Maximum level, which I have reached - 14.
Level, which I have reached before I start Level up - 12 level.
Relations with all factions are good.

My suggestion about it - too much grenades. Too high chance to hit with firearms for 1st level character.
I did not even run away from mobs on previous level.
No cheating.
No masturbating "save\load" function to obtain more grenade, or guns, or ammo.
Only Junkyard Surprise to get +3 Constitution during fight, that seems to me a bit cheating (without this bonus, it would be too difficult).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:59:30 pm by Fenix »

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Complete walkthrough with 1st level character
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:45 am »
yes but please pardon my french and dont take this the wrong way but not all of old timers are as good as you....

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:56 am »
I played the game and I thought it was pretty hard. Exploiting the game's skill/attribute system to create a somewhat broken character is better kept to these kinds of things, but I doubt this game was a breeze for you the first time you played it. I could do this again, but then I wouldn't be playing the game, I would be testing it, see where I'm going with this?

I'm not saying you are not allowed to do this, but suggesting making the game harder is one thing I strongly disagree with, since the combat in the game is somewhat balanced as it is right now. Changes can be made sure, but I don't agree on making things harder.

These kind of exploits are found in almost all games, Morrowind, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Skyrim, Neverwinter, you name it. I personaly think this should stay as a funny build in itself, but I prefer to play the game rather than exploiting its system.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 02:19:17 am »
I played the game and I thought it was pretty hard.

No. You didn't read what I wrote.

Exploiting the game's skill/attribute system to create a somewhat broken character

Exploiting? Wait a minute, I was exploiting when done alfa with 1st-level char? With psi-build?
With 7 attribute points in useless Will? This is joke, I hope.

I would be testing it, see where I'm going with this?

I test it to make it BETTER. I pointed to something that is definitely a problem.
Btw this is "suggestion" subsection.

since the combat in the game is somewhat balanced as it is right now. Changes can be made sure, but I don't agree on making things harder.

Oh, I see - that wasn't a joke, you are serious.

I'm not saying you are not allowed to do this, but suggesting making the game harder is one thing I strongly disagree with

The game need MORE balance in term of weapon, ammo and maybe in part of build influence the combat.
I mean - 5 Perception, 0 skill points in guns  - 65-75% to hit the target? Too good.

These kind of exploits are found in almost all games, Morrowind, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Skyrim, Neverwinter, you name it. I personaly think this should stay as a funny build in itself, but I prefer to play the game rather than exploiting its system.

What kind of exploits?
Can you talk more specifically?

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
yes but please pardon my french and dont take this the wrong way but not all of old timers are as good as you....

I'm good, but not that much. Actually, it was easy. Not "very easy", just easy.
The main difficulty was to devote time to eat Junkyard Surprise before some difficult fights (90% of all fights with 66 hp), and to reload 3-4 times to find appropriate tactics.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »
Unless you simmer down, this is going to turn into a flame war. Good day to you, I wasn't offending you, but you insult my intelligence, and that's the end of this discussion.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
I do not like unfunny jokes, such as the 90% of your post, so bye.

You force on your point in a very aggressive manner, I gave you my opinion in a civilized way but you flamed up as if I insulted you, I don't think you are stupid or that what you did is, I merely questioned your point. If you are not willing to act more maturely, I will not continue to contribute to this thread. Just letting you know, Thank you and good bye.

Dear Sir, I see again only groundless accusations.
very aggressive manner
- if you mean my first post, would you be so kind as to specify that you thought aggressive in my words?
If you think that your charges are not insulting, you mad.
You'd better think twice before you write something.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:44:18 pm by Fenix »

Laien

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »
Fenix, 

Remember that this is alpha and for now You see few starting areas that simply cant be super hard because its a start. If You seek challenge now go for all out war on Scrappers, Black Els or go tell protectorate guys that You need to see ambasador with a grenade :)

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »
You force on your point in a very aggressive manner, I gave you my opinion in a civilized way but you flamed up as if I insulted you, I don't think you are stupid or that what you did is, I merely questioned your point. If you are not willing to act more maturely, I will not continue to contribute to this thread. Just letting you know, Thank you and good bye.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:24 pm »
1st-level char can't do this, it's obvious. :D
Even my mighty psi with all his tricks can't do this, I suggest.
But I'll try.

Also, the problem is that your progress in leveling up your skills didn't affect gameplay that much.
The impression I got after first walkthrough with normal silent sniper.
But not for the psi-abilities - they progress more clearly.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 04:01:21 pm »
Thanks for posting this Fenix. Here's some of my thought and reasoning on the subject(s):

- Investing skills in ranged weapons also increases damage, not just chance to hit.

- Snipers and stealth rely on stealth skill heavily so that improves with leveling as well.

- Problem with grenades is that throwing them precisely where you want is too easy, expect that to change in the future.

- In the next update the experience calculation on kills will change to take into effect your total XP instead of your current level, so staving off leveling while progressing with gear won't be effective anymore.

- Why do you find Will to be useless when you said that psi abilities scale quite clearly with skill (and will influences all of them)?

- Chance to hit with zero skill has been brought up before elsewhere and I did test it myself. The thing is its directly related to the targets evasion and not all targets have the same amount of it. Try hitting dogs for example and let me know what the chance you had there. In any case, this is still subject to be tweaked in the future of course.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:56:59 pm »
Thanks for posting this Fenix. Here's some of my thought and reasoning on the subject(s):

- Investing skills in ranged weapons also increases damage, not just chance to hit.

I know, I mean it doesn't display clearly on weapons damage numbers.

- Problem with grenades is that throwing them precisely where you want is too easy, expect that to change in the future.

That's what we need, thanks.

- In the next update the experience calculation on kills will change to take into effect your total XP instead of your current level, so staving off leveling while progressing with gear won't be effective anymore.

Thank you! Otherwise, I would have continued such gameplay, but this is definitely pain in the ... in full game.

- Why do you find Will to be useless when you said that psi abilities scale quite clearly with skill (and will influences all of them)?

I mean, I have done main quest with 1st-level char, so I didn't use psi at all. Only grenades, crossbow, and pistols. The only quest that I have not done is quest about a mysterious disc.
There is a door, that requires hacking.

- Chance to hit with zero skill has been brought up before elsewhere and I did test it myself. The thing is its directly related to the targets evasion and not all targets have the same amount of it. Try hitting dogs for example and let me know what the chance you had there. In any case, this is still subject to be tweaked in the future of course.

Yes, the dogs is difficult to hit, but still ~45, I don't remember. I try right now.

So, crossbow - 72%, pistol 88%, with Night Vision goggles. Without LS or optical sight.
Normal dog, not the mutated one.

I want to thank you for the work that you do.
Since I found out about Blades of Avernum, I dreamed about playing in such a setting, only with a more scientific and technological world.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:10:36 pm by Fenix »