Author Topic: High initiative build (Expedition) feels really broken. Am I missing something?  (Read 2492 times)

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
So, let's see:
At level 2 you can have:
Paranoia (+ 5 initiative)
Trigger happy (+ 7 initiative)
Gunslinger (+ 7 initiative)

With some dexterity and agility, that's easy 40+ initiative.
What exactly at this point prevents you from just taking a 10AP-or-less attack, leaving the zone, coming back, taking another 10AP-or-less attack, leaving again, etc, etc?

Seems completely foolproof and unbeatable to me. The -10 initiative penalty is still not enough to make you lose any initiative rolls. Slap another +5 from root soda if the need be. And you can get initiative even higher with specialization points.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:50:14 am by Tamior »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
What exactly at this point prevents you from just taking a 10AP-or-less attack, leaving the zone, coming back, taking another 10AP-or-less attack, leaving again, etc, etc?
The same thing that prevents psi from only ever using a pull to FF, Premed ThermoD, Proxy + TK Punch, (cryokinesis, pyrokinesis if needed to mop up).  The same thing that prevents trap users from doing anything but traps x infinity, ambush snipe, aimed shot.  At some point cheesing the mechanics stops being rewarding and you go back to trying to have fun playing the game.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
I've done the math; you can get into the 90's.
The old cap used to be about 50ish.
*eurobeat intensifies*

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile

Honour.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
There are many situations where leaving the zone repeatedly to fight enemies is not possible. You will regret too much investment into initiative when they happen.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
I'll be fixing that, don't worry. You should always play last when you re-enter the area you fled during combat. That should be the drawback of it.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
The same thing that prevents psi from only ever using a pull to FF, Premed ThermoD, Proxy + TK Punch, (cryokinesis, pyrokinesis if needed to mop up).  The same thing that prevents trap users from doing anything but traps x infinity, ambush snipe, aimed shot.  At some point cheesing the mechanics stops being rewarding and you go back to trying to have fun playing the game.
While I see your point, ThermoD combo is not even available until after depot A, and even then might fail to work as expected. And traps cost money and require you to set them up ahead on the time.
Initiative shenanigans of this type are both possible pretty much right away and, perhaps more importantly, can be used AFTER you have already bitten more than you can chew.  Thus making them a little bit more of problem.

Honour.
Pretty sure you need to take pack rathound to be able to carry enough honour with you to reliably stop that from happening.

I'll be fixing that, don't worry. You should always play last when you re-enter the area you fled during combat. That should be the drawback of it.
Sounds awesome, thank you!