Author Topic: Mutant Area  (Read 3194 times)

cahayapertama77

• Noob
    • View Profile
Mutant Area
« on: August 05, 2019, 04:51:18 am »
Can anyone help me with mutant area. The task where I need to find drill part in the Junkyard area.
I already try using gun/ melee/ stealth/ psi/ gun+grenade and crossbow + traps.

Is there another way to get the drill part like buying it somewhere.
I'm at easy difficulty.

Thank you in advance

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Mutant Area
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:11:13 am »
No there is no other way. What are you struggling with, damage or survivability?

Post your build.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:50:53 am »
If you have high stealth you can avoid all fights with the mutants, it's not neccessary to fight them.

Just kill the "muties", they're much weaker and it's them who carry the keys and keycards allowing you to advance through the lvl.

I always do this on dominating.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:17:13 am by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:54:45 pm »
Depot A is probably one of hardest areas in the game. If you don't have to, don't fight big mutants - use stealth and secret passages (to unlock some of them, you need to have enough hacking or lockpicking). If you choose to fight use traps, caltrops and molotovs. If necessary fall back and heal. Buy yourself a shield.

rift

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 04:51:30 pm »
Depot A is a baptism of acid for your build, being sneaky is helpful but there are loads of dogs that can bump you out of stealth. The most useful item for this area is mutated dog leather armour that can absorb the acid dmg. You can make one if you have enough tailoring or maybe buy one at the vendors in junk yard. Siphoner leather armour also gives acid dmg reduction.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »
Depot A is a baptism of acid for your build, being sneaky is helpful but there are loads of dogs that can bump you out of stealth. The most useful item for this area is mutated dog leather armour that can absorb the acid dmg. You can make one if you have enough tailoring or maybe buy one at the vendors in junk yard. Siphoner leather armour also gives acid dmg reduction.
With stealth Depot A can be done in 5 minutes without ever going into a fight or sneaking by multiple acid dogs.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/398609044

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 05:05:42 pm »
Depot A is probably one of hardest areas in the game. If you don't have to, don't fight big mutants - use stealth and secret passages (to unlock some of them, you need to have enough hacking or lockpicking). If you choose to fight use traps, caltrops and molotovs. If necessary fall back and heal. Buy yourself a shield.

It's far from that. It's just the first one that doesn't pull punches and is mandatory for all players. Thing is, it's one of the best crafted challenges in the game, since the amount of solutions for finishing that area is quite big, you have a way of finishing it for almost any build if you have basic grasp on the game mechanics.

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 07:00:50 pm »
It's far from that. It's just the first one that doesn't pull punches and is mandatory for all players. Thing is, it's one of the best crafted challenges in the game, since the amount of solutions for finishing that area is quite big, you have a way of finishing it for almost any build if you have basic grasp on the game mechanics.

It's one of the best designed location in Underrail, and one of my favourite quests. But jump in difficulty between this one, and previous quests, is very high for completely new players (and most of newbies screw their builds). I remember playing Underrail in 2016, before nerfing mutants - Depot A was really a destination hell.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 07:09:59 pm »
It's one of the best designed location in Underrail, and one of my favourite quests. But jump in difficulty between this one, and previous quests, is very high for completely new players (and most of newbies screw their builds). I remember playing Underrail in 2016, before nerfing mutants - Depot A was really a destination hell.

Well, i did say that it's the first one that doesn't pull punches, i just disagree that it is hardest location in the game. There are plenty that are more challenging even without DC.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 09:32:18 pm »
Can anyone help me with mutant area. The task where I need to find drill part in the Junkyard area.
I already try using gun/ melee/ stealth/ psi/ gun+grenade and crossbow + traps.

Is there another way to get the drill part like buying it somewhere.
I'm at easy difficulty.

Thank you in advance
Nope, you have to go through. Below a few tips from when I went through the depot with a chemical pistol & grenades character, maybe one of your stealthy characters can use them.

The key feat was sure step, not even for the immunity to acid puddles, but for caltrops (which that character used a LOT  :D). From what I've noticed patrolling enemies will not try to sidestep caltrops, but instead will keep running through them, keeping to their original patrol route. So you can chuck the caltrops while they are away, then retreat and stealth again, and just watch while they slowly but surely whittle away at their health bar.

I also gave that character pickpocketing (to make use of high dexterity). After stealing all the ammo from everyone in the junkyard & SGS, she coudl afford all the crafting components for grenades and crafted as many as possible. Then bought lots of bear traps, which you can use even with zero skill. Also bought all the poisoned caltrops. Whatever could not be killed by caltrops, was blasted away with grenades, while two rows of bear traps were acting as a safety measure to keep the enemies from reaching my character in melee. Rinse & repeat.

The only problem were the turrets, but you can disable them (I think 65 or 70 hacking?) from the console in one of the underground areas. That one is easiest to reach from the "Black Eels" entrance to the depot.

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:34 am »
My general advice for Depot A is:
- The map north of the only above ground map with muties (muties not mutants) is the hardest one. Do not attempt to clear it via the southern entrance, i.e. the one that connects to the map with muties. Unlock the second underground map, then enter the hard map via the ladder that leads to the building in the northwest of that map, this is the easiest approach, as some enemies may not be drawn to the fight, and it will take them longer to reach you if they are, though you can also skip this map entirely by taking this route too.

- If you have the chemistry and tailoring to craft mutant dog leather armor then do so, failing that explore the Under Passages and those sections of Lower Underrail and the Upper Caves that you have access to, I have found at least one mutant dog leather armor without fail any time I do this, as well as other useful loot you can potentially use directly or in crafting. Quite a large area can be accessed before returning the Armadillo Drill parts, so if you take the time to explore it you can can gain another level or so to help you out with Depot A.

- If you're using guns then use HP rounds, both mutant dogs and mutants have no mechanical resistance so this is a straight 40% increase in your damage output.

- If you're engaged in melee allow dogs to live sometimes to delay a mutant reaching you, dogs are far less dangerous in melee as they deal less damage and part of it is Acid damage, which is reduced significantly by Mutant Dog Leather Armor, mutant's melee damage is all physical and significantly heavier than that of the mutant dogs.

cahayapertama77

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 03:22:41 am »
No there is no other way. What are you struggling with, damage or survivability?

Post your build.

Survivability.
I can't last for more than 3-4 turn against the mutant.
I didn't find a mutant that carry a gun or I have never met them I think the Blop of acid that they throw at me come from their mouth ... or from a gun?
Maybe because the easy difficulty.

I usually using craft leather from rathound and boots from cave hooper. Standard stuff. Couple of Health Pack and Bandages
Are the drill parts not come from the Mutant drop?

My feats usually rathound, sure step, disassemble, and the feat that boost Bandages healing property. The rest is battle related to my main weapon/ build
I always pick rathound first because sometime I feel like a coolie without it that I need to always carry my stuff back to my room at SouthGate.

Thanks for all the reply. I will stop playing this game for couple of days.
I just spend my weekend playing this game that make me feel exhausted and challenged at the same time.
I hate X-Men because this game.

My general advice for Depot A is:
- The map north of the only above ground map with muties (muties not mutants) is the hardest one. Do not attempt to clear it via the southern entrance, i.e. the one that connects to the map with muties. Unlock the second underground map, then enter the hard map via the ladder that leads to the building in the northwest of that map, this is the easiest approach, as some enemies may not be drawn to the fight, and it will take them longer to reach you if they are, though you can also skip this map entirely by taking this route too.

- If you have the chemistry and tailoring to craft mutant dog leather armor then do so, failing that explore the Under Passages and those sections of Lower Underrail and the Upper Caves that you have access to, I have found at least one mutant dog leather armor without fail any time I do this, as well as other useful loot you can potentially use directly or in crafting. Quite a large area can be accessed before returning the Armadillo Drill parts, so if you take the time to explore it you can can gain another level or so to help you out with Depot A.

- If you're using guns then use HP rounds, both mutant dogs and mutants have no mechanical resistance so this is a straight 40% increase in your damage output.

- If you're engaged in melee allow dogs to live sometimes to delay a mutant reaching you, dogs are far less dangerous in melee as they deal less damage and part of it is Acid damage, which is reduced significantly by Mutant Dog Leather Armor, mutant's melee damage is all physical and significantly heavier than that of the mutant dogs.

Thanks for the advice. I just write it on my book.
I will try all the option except the melee ... I never last for more than 2 turn before being surrounded