Author Topic: Quickloading repeatedly over many hours seems to cause memory issues.  (Read 448 times)

Cazdon

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Over the course of a long period of gameplay, loading becomes slower and slower until eventually zones fail to load entirely, either through zone transition or quickloading, forcing me to restart the game to work around the issue. It starts to happen once my characters reach mid to late game. This is my second time attempting to make this post since I got an error message for uploading too large attachments when I attempted to upload the save file. Apologies for the short and somewhat vague report, this is my second time writing this and I am mildly frustrated to lose the last 20 minutes of typing.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Quickloading repeatedly over many hours seems to cause memory issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 11:13:05 am »
Sounds like there's some memory leak. How big is the save exactly?

Cazdon

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 05:32:01 pm »
So here's the size save named BUG01, and several other save games. Seamus 1-2 is the first save I made on this character, about an hour or two into gameplay. Seamus 11-2 is a save many hours later, a couple of hours before the failures began but the loading time was slow. Finally the most recent quicksave, about 1 hour of play after the save where I encountered the bug.

BUG01 is 43.1MB

Seamus 1-2 is 10.7MB

Seamus 11-2 is 40.5MB

Quicksave is 44.7MB

I should also note I rarely delete old saves. Even years old abandoned runs. Perhaps I really should, as the Underrail saves folder now takes up 7.8GB.

Zeem

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 11:28:36 am »
I'm experiencing the same issue. Game will frequently freeze, fail to save/load or outright crash, and the error logs always mention the game running out of memory.
Playing on Void Linux with Proton-GE 7.49

Zeem

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:29:34 am »
Switched to Proton-GE 8.4, still having the same issue.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 03:04:04 pm »
That doesn't sound that big. It's expected that the save file will grow as you discover more of the world.