Author Topic: Need help with a spear build, somewhat new player  (Read 3212 times)

ouchmyeye

• Noob
    • View Profile
Need help with a spear build, somewhat new player
« on: July 02, 2021, 07:10:17 pm »
Hey, I've been going at the story for a while but hit a roadblock at Junkyard. I was able to get past this segment with PSI before, but I'm trying a spear build and getting curbstomped. Is my build just extremely bad or am I not doing something right?

Link to the build - https://underrail.info/build/?CAoIBgUFAwUAMgAyAAAAKCMAADIZLRktAAAAAB4ABTYIOcKVwpLClN-_

Any feedback is appreciated!

Niko

Re: Need help with a spear build, somewhat new player
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 03:32:10 am »
Do not do Spear on any phase, form or type! Styx needs to fix the viability. AP-to-DMG sucks, heavy downgrade from Sledge with same stats, basically, and costs more AP to do less damage, have no viable feats, and has to do it with more stats spent.

FYI, I went the absolute max spear AoE dps that I could ever do, and I still ended up doing only grenades to survive.
DO NOT -> try spear throw, it sucks on any difficulty, has zero dependability, and has a shitty cooldown, even if boosted. Just don't!
Throwing, and dex-wise, knives are fantastic as support or leeching some extra AP on kill, but... do not do that either if you respect yourself, just respect the natural Molotovs and Plasmas before you get excited.

NOW --- what I suggest is you do some build that has enough STR for assault rifles, agi for Sprint, and Jedi-self-haste stuff, and pick Concentrated Fire feat for damage for rifles, to win. Anything becomes obsolete at that point.

Do a legit playthrough with a legit weapon.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 06:07:29 am »
It's not extremey bad, just suboptimal (Fend?) you should be fine for normal/hard. In two levels you will get Sweep. Spears has lots of short cooldown based feats and they benefit greatly from LTI, so I would recommend getting Temporal manipulation soon. You have high throwing an enough chemistry for Mark 3 fragmentation grenades, them + spear throw + Impale should carry you on through Junkyard. Focus on either Strength or Dexterity, no point in raising them both.

Just don't do burrower nests until you got sweep and/or electroshock generator. Hitting those little buggers is annoying.

Spears have worst stats but best utility. Range, AoE + Offbalance, guaranteed crit, spear guard. It's very versatile weapon to play around, offers many tactical options. Sweeping with electroshock generator is fun too :)

Niko

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 08:13:04 am »
......guaranteed crit....
95% with a cooldown :D
Insanely shitty when you are cubed, surrounded, and selfnade+sweep wont do shit :D   Ofc I am biased, but max str sword build I did was fun :P

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:24:23 pm »
You wasted points with Perception and Snooping is a waste. If you want to be tanky, blocking limited melee damage won't help much. Going for high Evasion and Dodge will and together with good Energy Shield Emitter and high movement points to get out of sight you will be fine. Have a look at this build:
https://underrail.info/build/?Hg8HCgMDAwUAwqAAwqDCoMKgewAAAABzeT0mGAAAAEYAAFgkGcKVFsKUEitOwqwGS8KHRzkxwrbCpuKdjQfioIoF4rOkA9-_

Start with STR 10, DEX 7, AGI 9, CON 3, PER 3, WILL3, INT 5
Use found Leather Armors, Tac Vests until you get Rathound Regalia.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 04:28:40 pm »
conditioning with 5 con isnt good, try get a good support feat.Use stealth until you get on feet.Otherwise its quite good build and you should be able to continue.its up to your gamer skills to prepare for fights.Itemise yourself for optimal outcomes

Niko

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 09:38:50 am »
RewRatt's build looks solid, even if I do not approve of picking throwing without Expert Throwing. I would modify that to 7 agil, and 10 dex instead, just to have more accuracy, if throwing is the thing, because strider nor blitz are necessary with that when you have hit-and-run (spec'd or not). Other way around is to go 13 agil for expert sprint, and deduct from max Str, still not sure if it is the winning trade, but there is still only 95% to hit, so the extra ap might be actually worth it. Also nimble at 1 and Sprint(best feat ingame) post 20(?), could trade numble for opportunist either way, gets more value. 10-20% armor penalty is not that rough. And to adjust the feat order a little bit too, I would go 10 for Sweep, Temporal at 12 and Crit Power 14, always. Expose Weakness and Cheap Shots level-picking-wise should be interchanged too. Escape artist gets value too, but strictly not necessary to have it when you could just reload, pick that post 20s.

Niko

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 10:03:39 am »
I would probably go with https://underrail.info/build/?Hg4KBwMDAwYAwqAAwqAowqB7AAAAAHN5PSZaAAAARgAAWDkZK8KVFsKUBsKswodLEiomTlHCtnYx4p2NCuKnvgXfvw
Not do Regalia but craft with Tailoring instead to get more crits in the build. Again these are just opinions, but I tried to be as effective as I could with them.
*edit* Forgot where I misplaced my graphs with melee, whether Cheap Shots or Critical Power has most added value, usually beyond 167% CHD Critical Power has more value. So might opt with 10/10 with CP instead of CS...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:45:45 am by Niko »

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 01:47:18 pm »
I would probably go with https://underrail.info/build/?Hg4KBwMDAwYAwqAAwqAowqB7AAAAAHN5PSZaAAAARgAAWDkZK8KVFsKUBsKswodLEiomTlHCtnYx4p2NCuKnvgXfvw
Not do Regalia but craft with Tailoring instead to get more crits in the build. Again these are just opinions, but I tried to be as effective as I could with them.
*edit* Forgot where I misplaced my graphs with melee, whether Cheap Shots or Critical Power has most added value, usually beyond 167% CHD Critical Power has more value. So might opt with 10/10 with CP instead of CS...
Bear in mind that Regalia has no Armor Penalty, extra movement points and STR, bonus to stealth and grants immunity to Intimidate. At higher difficulties if you get Intimidated by a Yell, you won't be able to hit a side of a barn for 3 turns.