Author Topic: Low precission  (Read 4273 times)

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Low precission
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:13:53 am »
It's my third playthrough, and my first with guns. I read tons of topics about building a character, not to screw it like the first time. I am lvl 7 with 8 AGI, and 11 PER and I don't know what am I doing wrong. Precision with guns is so damn low. I tried using sniper rifles, pistols and smgs and it's the same. I can't hit a thing. Hit chance is almost always c. 48-62%. I'm in a Depot A bunker, and I thought hit chance is affected with darkness and close quarter fighting. Wrong. Using NVG and pistols doesn't change a thing, still 48% for hit. But hey, I walk to the other corridor and suddenly I've got 82% chance to hit a mutee with my sniper rifle. What is wrong with that? How much PER do I have to, to have hit chance above 80%?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:15:54 am by The Saint »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Low precission
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:37:46 am »
For pistols and SMGs your problem can be range. Weapons have optimal range which is maximum range without penalties but you can also shoot beyond this range, with penalties to THC.

Sniper rifles have heavy penalties if you first move and then shoot.

Your perception is fine. You should have lvl 8 for Depot A. Dogs are relatively hard to hit.

Is your weapon skill maxed?

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
I have problems to hit with pistols/smg in 2-3 hex from character, or even in point blank range. It's not the range then. Sniper rifles - even without moving I have relatively little chance to hit (about 52%).

My guns skill is as high as it is possible on that level :(

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
That's weird because my character with PER 10 has got 95% hit chance most of the time (using snipers and SMGs).

What STR do you have? Sniper rifles requiere 5 at least.

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »
I have 5 STR. Can AGI affect it somehow? My char has only 3.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 04:17:09 pm »
I have 5 STR. Can AGI affect it somehow? My char has only 3.

It can't.
There's only one more thing i can think of: your guns are damaged.

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:20:51 pm »

There's only one more thing i can think of: your guns are damaged.

And they are not. Now this is becoming weird.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »
Weird, can you upload a savegame from Depot A around those muties?

Are you 100% sure you are focused when you shoot with the sniper? The portrait eye symbol (focused) must be visible.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:34:35 pm by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »
Hey Wildan, can you reply in my PSI topic?

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:20 pm »
http://www.filedropper.com/test_9

Save in the link. Not in Depot A, but it doesn't matter. I'm standing in front of Eel thug, and my hit chance with sniper rifle is 57%. Sucks. A lot. Maybe you guys find what am I missing.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »
I checked it and honestly, the values seem normal to me. First of all the 57% CtH is mostly because of the darkness penalty. With NVG on the chance is 72% and remained the same as long as I stayed in optimal weapon range.
That value is not surprising. Basic precission is 70% when the weapon skill equals defenders evasion skill, so that Black Eel gangster has slightly less evasion skill than you have guns which is to be expected. You are level 8, have a total of 12 perception and maxed guns while he's probably level 10 or even higher, has pretty high agility and maxed evasion. When you aim at the turret you'll see how the values change vs 0 evasion.

Sorry that's just how it is with ranged weapons in general. Earlier in the game it's actually ok to craft a sniper with regular scope instead of the anatomical. Later with very high perception and critical damage feats anatomical scope wins ofcourse.

@Eldakar
I will look into it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:33:09 pm by Wildan »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:13:40 am »
Good work Wildan, but how about enemies in Depot A, where OP currently struggles?
Black Eels are surprisingly strong so i would not be surprised to have low THC when aimig at them.

Oh, BTW there's a feat called Ambush that halves enemy evasion. With Ambush, 10 PER and +5% aim from laser i had no problems hitting thing through entire game.

Yeah, Ambush is tricky to use - it's not clear when it's gonna trigger, but if you stay in relatively shadowed place and enlighten enemies with a molotov it will work pretty much always. I've completed the game with Ambush and i can assure you it can be used in at least 90% battles.
Human opponents really like to gather around those burning barrels }:>
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:29:23 am by hilf »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 06:35:38 am »
Human opponents really like to gather around those burning barrels }:>
[/quote

It gives them hope, until you fracture their skulls with .44. :P

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 06:55:46 am »
Thanks Wildan, I didn't take account of evasion. I really had hard time in Depot A bunker. Using NVG gave only slight improvement of hit chance (max. 62%), but probably you are right, and enemies were higher lvl then me.

So what should I do now? Still max out PER? Does it change anything if already I have 12 PER?

@hilf - I'll check ambush, even I heard it's very... occasional feat ;)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:47 am »

@hilf - I'll check ambush, even I heard it's very... occasional feat ;)

Sure it is and that's why it's either UP or balanced. But you can be smart. You can be creative! You can help yourself with molotovs (they are pretty good anyway) and make Ambush useful much more often. Put your SGS credits to good use and buy molotovs from Quinton.
Flares can work too, but they don't generate as much light.

If you don't mind a small spoiler you can watch it in action vs Lunatics in Upper Underrail.