Author Topic: Voices in tchortloop.ogg, faceless.ogg, and oculus.ogg  (Read 1591 times)

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Voices in tchortloop.ogg, faceless.ogg, and oculus.ogg
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:45:15 am »
Has anyone else pointed out the faint voices present in the music for the Tchort fight, the Faceless, and Oculus? I think it's an interesting detail considering the relationship between those three things.

Tchort's "voice" sounds pretty monstrous and garbled, the Faceless sound more robotic (yet still similar), and the one in Oculus sounds much more calm than the other two.

I clicked through the rest of the soundtrack and couldnt hear similar voices anywhere else. Seems like Josh Culler is taking lore into account before making tracks for the game.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Voices in tchortloop.ogg, faceless.ogg, and oculus.ogg
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:55:27 am »
Seems like Josh Culler is taking lore into account before making tracks for the game.

Oh yes, definitely. Look at the track names as seen on the GOG soundtrack.
https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Underrail_OST
I've heard they're named by the composer. He must be getting pretty detailed composing instructions from the devs to account to get it so right.
Or he's just been shown the levels / someone playing, Fatal Vapor is awfully specific since obviously it refers to the few toxic clouds you can find in the sewer.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:56:33 am »
We've done a lot of back and forth there to get that stuff just right in terms of atmosphere, lore-consistency, etc. I gave Josh both written description (usually describing "the feel" I wanted to get out of the track as I know next to nothing about music when it comes to technical stuff) as well as screenshots for inspiration.

@epeli It's was me - I do everything around here!

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 03:47:23 pm »
We've done a lot of back and forth there to get that stuff just right in terms of atmosphere, lore-consistency, etc. I gave Josh both written description (usually describing "the feel" I wanted to get out of the track as I know next to nothing about music when it comes to technical stuff) as well as screenshots for inspiration.

@epeli It's was me - I do everything around here!

I wich every developer did it like you.
My ideal in that are Looking Glass Studio, but you managed decent approach as well.