Author Topic: Wanted some opinions about my "Spartan" build  (Read 2935 times)

swumprat

• Noob
    • View Profile
Wanted some opinions about my "Spartan" build
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:04:36 am »
 So I've made a few runs at Underrail now and all of them tend to end early for one reason or another. Now I'm feeling the itch to actually make a full damn run through the game for once. So I first tried to make some knife based build that involved just knives. Didn't take long to make me realize that I'd grow board of that and just abandon the game again. Then I remembered the run I did before it where I played a stealth sniper build that I found on the forums. Got to core city, screwed around for a bit and then got distracted and stopped playing the game. Started to make a less optimal but more diverse build version of it to experience as much of the game as I could while still kicking ass. Then it hit me, "why not make a spear and sword build instead?"

The reason for this is cause I was having fun with melee from the knife run and wanted to do more of that and really wanted to screw around with swords and spears. So here it is:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hg4HCgMDAwYAZADCoMKgwqAAwqDCoAAUwqAAKADCoAAAAAAAAAAkRcKVwpLCmcKOwoLCr8KNwoxSwqsGD3zCtsKm4qeCAuKzogPis6MK378

Don't know if what I made is any good and felt the need to ask what you all think. Maybe you could even point me to a build that works better, duno. Either way, the idea of the build is to be the last man standing through the use of blocking and dodging while ramping up damage through onslaught and flurry. The spear is for either taking out long range fuckers trying to snipe, enemies I don't want to approach and for spear guard. Then having flashbangs and other grenades for CC and AoE damage. Not sure if any of this is even good. Either way this is my first real attempt at making a serious build, hopefully I will hear back from someone and that I didn't bore you with my story.

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted some opinions about my "Spartan" build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:21:20 am »
Search in this forum for spear + temporal manipulation. That guy is a good starting point. You lack key feats (spear guardian) and picked other questionable ones.

I don't know about going both swords and spears, their gameplay is different and both requiere heavy investments in one direction or the other.

In general, you go light armour and evasion dodge or heavy armour, not both. What difficulty are you planning to run with?

For what I tested, metal armour is just better than spear and shield build if you want to go the juggernaut way. Of course it is your build and you can play and find what you enjoy the most, specially in lower difficulties.

I totally encourage you to play with spear anyway. It is really fun and adds taste to the gameplay if you already played with easier builds. I am currently initiating high mobility spear thrower in dominating and having a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:26:20 am by l0cus77 »

swumprat

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:12 pm »
So I took another crack at the build after doing some looking around after what you said. Lost the original concept almost entirely of a sword and board character with a spear (hence why I called it a "spartan" build). Now it's just a crit sword character (since that's kinda the weapon I wanted to use more this run) that can throw spears. I honestly just wanted a ranged option that can do some good damage. Even if it's a one and waddle over to pick the spear back up sort of thing. I intend to play on normal since as I stated haven't actually beaten the game yet and kinda want to do that before I even look at dominating.

Here it is in all of it's confused glory: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hg0HCwMDAwYAwqAAwqBQwqA8TEYAFG54XkZkAAAAAAAAACQxOcKVwpnCjsKMAMKNSwbCixNHwrHCpcKm4pyQCuKligXfvw

So yeah.

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:32:41 pm »
 By all means, don't let me or anybody change your mind about your build, it is the most fun part of this game imo. Every time I blindly followed a guide I gave up that run kind of soon. Finding out if your build is viable is what keeps you hooked.

Anyway, this one looks more realistic than the previous one. I guess you are not taking any psi as a choice, which is cool.

One important thing: have in mind that sword use rewards you for using flurry all you can, interruption of your flurry to throw a spear is going to work against your main strategy. So you should take it more as 2 combat modes: spear and granades thrower in open field and corners vs groups/ melee sword super slasher when you have space to manoeuvre.

1 thing you could investigate is rising Dex instead of Srt. Would benefit your parry hability, increase critical chance and improve spear throw. I don't think damage lose will be that big, specially for normal.

Early game stealth and assassination is going to be your friend. Mid game granades are going to be your best friend, so be sure you put early points into chemistry. Late game plasma granades with high electronics are going to help you a lot. Gas granades are useful the entire game. With that you can savage almost any build in normal.

I would look to try to squeeze three pointer probably, with that amount of throwing invested granades abuse is going to evaporate enemies in normal. Not mandatory thought. Granadier too, for same reason.

Also for expedition Beeing basically a melee build you might want to check Scape artist. Even with granades and spear throw.. probably worth it. Just save a lvl up and test if needed when you face what you will.

Specialization points needs to be checked thought, if you are using your sword to do most of the work, you are going to need to put in flurry action post reduction. If you still use your spear to throw (which u will be able to do once each turn with no psi) probably spear throw action point reduction also worth it. Swords are insane with critical damage multipliers so rest of points should go into critical power / cheap shots. If you really want to increase critical chance, I would invest into recklessness instead of wesponsmith.

What still makes me scratch my head is the parry and riposte. You are investing in dodge, which works in the opposite direction, and you should also increase its chance by specialization points if you want to go that way.

I would say, if you go mobile high dodge evasion, try not to get hit and rely on flurry to do your damage (no parry riposte). Or if you go heavier, build in to them and don't worry about getting hit at all, avoiding dodge and evasion. I think the first option would fit more your original idea.

Run some test and of course wait to hear other opinions of more experienced players (specially with swords, since it is your main interest)

PS: your post got into my head and theorycrafted a litte. http:// underrail (.) info (.) tm/build/?HgcNCwMDAwYAwqAAwqAowqAAAAAAABkAAAAAAAAAAAAAACQ5wpXCjAYSR0FLwo0AE04-wrHCpTHip74H4rKIBeKzogPfvw

I would probably try something like that if you want to play sword + spear throw in normal. Orgnize skill points as desired, but maxing dodge in normal is cool (you won't be able to do that in harder difficutlies, so do take advantadge of normal rules). I would go dexterity and agility. Better crit and spear throw, and also initative. Better skill point distribution also.

Core feats would be Spear throw at 2, Flurry at 4, Cheap shots at 6. Expose weakness is recommended for sword builds, can be delayed if you have no trouble with more resistent enemies. Blitz and uncanny dodge can be pushed for later in favour of weaponsmith and recklessnesss if you prefer more crit sooner. Critical power at 14 and Onslaught at 16 are very recommended for critical sword builds. If you can do expedition woithout scape artist, take strider as you planed. Other than that, feel free to toy with feats order.

For gear consider Infused Siphoner / Cave Hooper tabis (investing in improved srpint really ask for the seccond one, specially with no temporal manipulation); Infused rathound / Infused Siphoner leather armor depending on more crit / more evasion dodge; and night vision detection googles (improving chance hit for spear throw). Doctors pouch would be the the go to belt.

Gameplay wise, you should get a high mobile stealthy sword slasher, that has great granade and spear burst when needed at distance. Always try to run for cover after you hit, and if not possible rely on dodge /evasion to survive. Of course craft a good energy shield and you should be fine even with 3 con. You should be hitting something like 50 % crit chance with focus stim and infused rathound armor, with insane crit multipliers for swords, and very good ones for spear (use thungsten). Spear throw damage also has a distance damage multiplier, so throwing very far away (that can be safely done with the amount of throwing skill you will have) and critting will be devastating, one shotting a lot of enemies.

It is just an idea, again, not tested, based on your post, but should be fun for normal. Adjust as desired if you decide to try it, and have fun!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:13:13 pm by l0cus77 »

kamax3

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 04:35:40 am »
I'm digging your second build. Interesting that you went with Str instead of dex for more crits, and higher throw skill. Could definitely work though.

I also took a stab at a spartan build! Has been super fun so far. https://www.reddit.com/r/underrail/comments/gno4co/update_spartan_build/
I went a lot heavier on the Con, since your agility gets shit on by heavier armors and riot gear anyways.