Author Topic: SMG Spec Ops  (Read 10590 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
SMG Spec Ops
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:34:59 am »
I often see people asking for SMG builds, or for help for them, with the default assumption of high dex and high per with low str.  I think I have a superior SMG build, though I've never played it myself. 

https://underrail.info/build/?HgcQBgMGAwVQHgDCoB4AwqAAAQEAAQEBAQEAAAAAAQAAwrM5Jk87FsKjN8KFAkkVKA1OEsKD4p-iBeKijQPip6oD4qimBN-_
(feats arent in order; thats up to you)

Max dex, max melee, versatility.  Other abilities to meet feat prereqs, namely full auto, sprint/spec ops, suppressive fire, and versatility.  This gives you minimal AP costs for SMGs, gets you all the feats you'd ever want for them, dirty kick (a melee attack that doesnt require a weapon slot and will stun enemies), and even expose weakness for those really tough enemies that SMGs may have trouble with.  Your damage per bullet may be a bit lower, but you're spitting out even more bullets, which is the point of SMGs, as I understand it.  Your initiative will be high, you'll get massive skill boosts to dex skills (throwing, lockpicking, pickpocket, traps).  SMGs need a lot of bullets, should you ever run out you can use melee weapons. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: SMG Spec Ops
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:40 am »
Excellent build!

I can confirm how much your build kicks ass as I have by coincidence just played a similar build with SMGs, Versatility and Power Fist. It's completely DOMINATING viable and loads of fun.

I'd just thought to add that you could also go for a variant with AGI and PER at 3 and CON at 9. You loose Suppressive Fire and Spec Ops but you gain Survival Instincts, so Steel Cats 7.62mm bursts at the end come at 18 instead of 12, but with Critical Power and Specialization this packs an incredible punch (I would say this should hold despite the nerf for Crit Power).

(In case anyone is interested in the Power Fist side: you can get that one directly after Junkyard at level 10 and it has endgame specs, at DEX 18 it has 6 AP and 12 attacks with 72 AP = three pneumatic strikes, with Crit Power this really really hurts. The build is some Warhammer Inquisitor inspired Kill all the heretics build. What I love about versatility is if you get bored with SMGs, you punch for a while, and go back. And yes, I know, just crafting a 12 AP glove is even better, but you haven't lived, if you haven't played with the f**** Power Fist)

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:59 pm »
I think it's overfocused on offensives.

You could do well with just Lightning Punches to better control chokes and/or some of the fights. Quick Tinkering won't be bad, as well.

seriously

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:11:15 pm »
After lurking for a while I was planning to start a new thread, but seeing this one today I think there shoudn't be another SMG thread posted right after this so here it goes:

https://underrail.info/build/?HgMQCgMGAwVQPADCoADCoABdKABQZGRfa2QAAABGAAAAT8KDJzBhNxbCo0krwoc7JA8ZwrNHJuKktgLipZ4F4qeqA-K1rgXfvw

Is this build viable on dominating?
The main idea is maximizing the chance to evade ranged attacks using a combination of high Evasion skill, cave ear caltrops, the debuff from Suppressive Fire and maybe Precognition. Instead of taking Dodge, I rely on traps and movement debuffs (caltrops & suppressive fire) to avoid melee enemies. The feat order looks pretty bad but I couldn't come up with any better since there are so many feats that are best taken early - any suggestions/feedback on this would be appreciated.

grug man

• Probably not a Spambot
  • helo my name grug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 06:09:56 pm »
Welp im hooked and interested, only need some gear suggestions then ill try it out for myself
grug lov wife

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:28:36 pm »
If it were me, I'd keep my armor light, whatever type you go with.  I suggest rapid muzzled guns, not sure what frames.  Adaptive or seeker NVgoggles, bullet belt, tabis of some kind. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

grug man

• Probably not a Spambot
  • helo my name grug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
Aight, something light for armor... In mind id kinda have either leather armor, padded and black cloth, but im unsure what leather I should take, i.e. insfused or not and so forth. Theres also bullet vest but thats not so light again, but it narrows down my options, and of course theres still the rathound regalia, which is "cheap" and "easy" to get, but isnt customisable. Any suggestions?
grug lov wife

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 11:50:21 pm »
Aight, something light for armor... In mind id kinda have either leather armor, padded and black cloth, but im unsure what leather I should take, i.e. insfused or not and so forth. Theres also bullet vest but thats not so light again, but it narrows down my options, and of course theres still the rathound regalia, which is "cheap" and "easy" to get, but isnt customisable. Any suggestions?

Anything 15% or less is "light".  So you can do tacvests with no armor plate.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Philo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 11:06:54 am »
Very nice build.

One thing I like about using Versatility is that it allows SMG Users to use less ammo/repair kits. I did play a "pure" SMG Build once and i've found it to be a bit tedious for that matter. As HulkOSaurus said, the build may be lacking defensive options (Escape Artist is included though, one of my favorite feats !). For me, even though Dirty Kick might play that role, i would replace it by Quick Tinkerer. I feel like Dirty Kick and Quick Tinkerer tend to overlap a little.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 12:54:18 pm by Philo »