Author Topic: The surface  (Read 7481 times)

Piggon

• Probably not a Spambot
  • :)
    • View Profile
The surface
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:28:58 pm »
What do you guys think happend with the surface ?

A plague ?
An nuclear war ?

or anything alike ?
LOVE THIS GAME

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: The surface
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
If you've read Baxter's Ultima, I think something like the inter-dimensional space fungi that live in the interior of planets and have hive mind send a detachment in a meteor to colonize Earth. Those fellas caused Earth's Orbit to destabilize on impact and that produced severe weather changes, which resulted in agricultural disaster where plants were absorbing too much CO2 from the atmosphere and less and less minerals/vitamins from the soil because of slowed osmosis. In some regions the soil was rapidly ensalted because of the changed terrain and became downright inhospitable. Pockets of humans survived mostly because of forced adaptations of GMOs and a project was started to move the rest of the humans underground.

In the mean time the fungi were absorbing organic matter(it needs to be said that because of the chemisry of the Universe organic--that is carbon-based, life is statistically MOST likely) in order to increase their size and capacity, but in doing so they inadvertantly absorbed something else from the humans--self concious egoism. They became Tchort.

That's about the size of it.

Piggon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:25:10 pm »

If you've read Baxter's Ultima, I think something like the inter-dimensional space fungi that live in the interior of planets and have hive mind send a detachment in a meteor to colonize Earth. Those fellas caused Earth's Orbit to destabilize on impact and that produced severe weather changes, which resulted in agricultural disaster where plants were absorbing too much CO2 from the atmosphere and less and less minerals/vitamins from the soil because of slowed osmosis. In some regions the soil was rapidly ensalted because of the changed terrain and became downright inhospitable. Pockets of humans survived mostly because of forced adaptations of GMOs and a project was started to move the rest of the humans underground.

In the mean time the fungi were absorbing organic matter(it needs to be said that because of the chemisry of the Universe organic--that is carbon-based, life is statistically MOST likely) in order to increase their size and capacity, but in doing so they inadvertantly absorbed something else from the humans--self concious egoism. They became Tchort.

Oh.. damn
Thanks !
Really appreciated
 :)
LOVE THIS GAME

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:45:07 pm »

Oh.. damn
Thanks !
Really appreciated

While it's certainly an interesting possibility, do note he's talking about the book Ultima, not the lore in game.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:27 pm »
Oh.. damn
Thanks !
Really appreciated

You... you do realize he's joking, right?

What really happened was that a space parasite [Tchort] crash-landed onto the planet 65 million years ago, forming the Yucatan Peninsula, before burrowing down into the center of the Earth to absorb all life from the Lifestream. This caused the equivalent of a nuclear winter, which overtook the Earth for the next 64 million years and caused the dinosaurs to go extinct. In order to escape the never-ending cold, human civilization was forced to dig down into the Earth, where they established an interconnected series of passages between settlements [the "Metro"], before stumbling upon shards originating from Tchort that granted them superhuman powers [the Psi Monoliths]. The largest of these shards was hollowed out by humans, becoming the Oculus.

One day, 12,000 years before today, one settlement, gifted in telekinesis, lifted their kingdom out of the ground and raised it far above the Earth's surface above the cloud-line, where they were able to take in light and heat from the Sun in order to grow crops and expand their population. However, they became enamored with the space parasite and were eventually destroyed by their own greed. The remnants of their civilization then fell back to Earth, and became the Institute of Tchort. However, just before the civilization was destroyed, the princess of the kingdom used her powers to send the space parasite back to sleep, before splitting herself in two and sending her clone far into the future to play a pivotal role in a widely-contested sequel that has objectively better music. (fight me)

Time passed, and eventually the protagonist was born, and using a time machine created by his neighbor, the protagonist escaped into the past to defeat the space parasite Lavo--I mean, Tchort--in order to stop him from eventually reaching his true strength and erupting out from the Earth's core to rain death upon the peoples of the Underrail. He went back in time, stole the Cube from the Faceless in order to give it to Oculus who sold it to the Bakers who had it stolen from them by a gang that sold it to Coretech before the Tchortists stole it and then you took it from Tchort and gave it back to the Faceless. ... Yeah, that was how it happened.

And if you still can't tell, I was also joking when I wrote all that... mostly.

(It is pretty hilarious how well the plot of Chrono Trigger matches the plot of Underrail.)

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:12 pm »
Oh.. damn
Thanks !
Really appreciated

A woosh for me I guess ...

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 11:34:08 pm »
Hahahaha... good stuff...

Though, let me just add that I was only giving an example from Ultima about what the Space Fungi are. The plot of the book actually has very little to do with them, plus in the book they're actually something like Space Insects of some sort... and doesn't have anything to do with anything else I've written. In other words it's my own making and it's quite sci-fi, too. FYI, the CO2 part of it is slowly happening right now.

If I may allow myself this comment: I'd actually appreciate if people got creative about the topic :D... in their own original way.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:30:49 am »
I'm just gonna leave this here

Piggon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 01:40:56 am »
Oh.. damn
Thanks !
Really appreciated

I really didnt
lol

I was just looking for an answer and i thought it was true lol

LOVE THIS GAME

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:56:44 am »

A woosh for me I guess ...

Sorry destroyor. :P You made your post while I was in the middle of trying to make the plot of Chrono Trigger fit Underrail's. xD
By the time I realized you had posted, I didn't exactly want to delete all my work. ;)

I really didnt
lol

I was just looking for an answer and i thought it was true lol

Lol, no problem mate. Sorry if I came off as a little rude in writing that. TBH, I was a little confused too when I first read HulkOSaurus' post. ;)

I'm just gonna leave this here

(Inserts actual backstory)

Aww, c'mon Tygrende. Aren't you going to make up your own backstory? :P

Like maybe Underrail is just a part of the Metro 2033 universe, but in Serbia instead of Russia? It could be possible! They both involve metro tunnels and have slavic influences! :P

... Or maybe Ezra did it? :o
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:59:10 am by Altos »

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 01:59:36 am »
There aren't really any solid clues about the surface in the game. I think Styg's confirmed multiple times that some sort of apocalypse happened, though.

What I wonder is how people even know about the surface in the Underrail world, seeing as it's been such a long time since anyone's seen it. Old world pictures and literature?

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:51 am »
Aww, c'mon Tygrende. Aren't you going to make up your own backstory? :P
I never really gave it much thought, but I'm guessing it had something to do with leviathans and/or godmen.

What I wonder is how people even know about the surface in the Underrail world, seeing as it's been such a long time since anyone's seen it. Old world pictures and literature?
I don't think most do. Only tchortists ever mention it, Eidein is an ex-BioCorp scientist so he obviously learned that from them. On the other hand your typical Core City commoner doesn't even know what rain is.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 07:58:46 am »
The frozen tundra thawed and millions of tons of methane gas was released into the atmosphere forcing the uber-rich and their willing slaves to take shelter in the massive underground bunkers (you may think of a modest hole in the ground, these were enormous multi-leveled underground castles equipped with state-of-the-art and unknown technologies to allow them to perpetuate well into the future and live completely underground for centuries if necessary) they'd built for such a sort of obvious and eventual contingency.

They did it piece-meal over a period of three years during which time the general population became aware of the uber-rich's facilities and their actions of moving down into them and an all-out global strife began consisting of massive amounts of populations everywhere slaughtering each other deluded into thinking they could vie for space in the safe havens.  Neighbors killed neighbors, certain groups began to form alliances for security against other groups and then would tear themselves apart from within leaving few left to form new alliances with other groups that would then kill other groups and eventually fall apart from the sheer inability for anything to sustain on the dying surface.

The de-oxification of the earth took almost 10 years and after a point was a slow and painful suffocation for all those who survived the previous chaos.  Those that lived through perhaps wished they hadn't.

Those underground shut themselves off forever and pretended to forget what they'd left behind.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 06:00:56 pm »
I don't think most do. Only tchortists ever mention it

Actually there is one scurvy dog that mentions surface when you pry his secrets with some skill checks.

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 03:31:51 pm »
Post truth politics annihilated Earth following man-made global warming-denialism

True story