Author Topic: Brown stuff on guns + plant life  (Read 3402 times)

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Brown stuff on guns + plant life
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:05:22 am »
I notice that a lot of the guns in Underrail have brown parts on their furniture (grips, stocks, foregrips, etc.) but, based on the description of the Tommy Gun:
Some of the materials from which this gun is made feel like nothing you've encountered before.

it seems like wood doesn't really exist in this world, aside from a few Old World remnants.

So what is that stuff on the other guns? Bakelite (something like this perhaps)? Leather inlays? Some other synthetic material?

Come to think of it, does anyone other than SGS have plants, aside from the odd potted flower or two?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:10:02 am by crumbhouser »

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Brown stuff on guns + plant life
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:00:50 am »
I was reminded of Soviet/Russian brown magazines, which I assumed the plastic furniture was made out of.

Photosynthetic life must exist in large quantities, otherwise an underground civilization would have ran out of oxygen rapidly.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:13:35 pm »
Wood can survive for centuries if taken good care of. In one of the neighboring flats there is a proper antique desk, nothing like what you've seen.

Still, I get the impression that the timescales in Underrail are too long for wooden components to properly preserve. Probably they came up with some other shenanigans like the super tin and used them to make cheaper and sturdier weaponry.

...or is there something that Tchort is not telling us?...

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:39:09 pm »
Yeah, brown gun furniture is most likely plastics. Bakelite or something more modern.

Photosynthesis wouldn't do much good without sunlight though. Could be that Biocorp's experiments have created some form of life that uses similar process with different energy source. Geothermal heat maybe.

But I've always assumed that atmosphere management is a critical part of Underrail's infrastructure. There could be oxygen generators working on simple water electrolysis combined with CO2 scrubbers, similar to real-life submarines. Or maybe Underrail has some fancy scifi tech approximating photosynthesis. Using electric power instead of sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and useful byproducts. In any case, human-built ventilation systems must be critical. There is no wind underground. Air must be very stale in remote caves far from settlements.
It's possible they just have vast algae farms fed by grow lamps running from nuclear (fusion/fission both work) plants.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »
Nice observation, indeed there is no wood in Underrail, except some small exceptions like the Tommy gun.
That is a small detail that we always need to take into account when creating new assets.
Also, there are oxygen generators in Underrail, we just did not get into the lore of them and there is sadly no gameplay mechanic for low oxygen levels.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:25:12 pm »
there is sadly no gameplay mechanic for low oxygen levels.
"It is pitch black.  You are likely to die with lips turning blue."

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 03:35:07 am »
But I've always assumed that atmosphere management is a critical part of Underrail's infrastructure. There could be oxygen generators working on simple water electrolysis combined with CO2 scrubbers, similar to real-life submarines. Or maybe Underrail has some fancy scifi tech approximating photosynthesis. Using electric power instead of sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and useful byproducts. In any case, human-built ventilation systems must be critical. There is no wind underground. Air must be very stale in remote caves far from settlements.
While there isn't a whole lot in the game about that, I remember one of the SGS residents (Bisson, I think?) mentioning that a past conflict with the Faceless started when someone cut off their air flow somehow. Therefore, I'd assume that significant Faceless settlements (unlike the temporary ones we see in the game) require oxygenated air to be constantly pumped in.

However, it would seem to me that pretty much all of the animals in Underrail require oxygen. Especially something like rathounds, which exist pretty much everywhere we can access in the game.

In real life, multicellular animals that can survive without oxygen tend to be rather rudimentary and worm-like, so maybe some don't need oxygen (deep worms maybe? Perhaps those wormy things we see going in and out of the ground but can't interact with?), but I'm suspecting that the places with a lot of animal life have some sort of natural production or ingress of oxygenated air and water.

Unless, of course, all of the animals were introduced by Biocorp, which is a definite possibility.

there is sadly no gameplay mechanic for low oxygen levels.
"It is pitch black.  You are likely to die with lips turning blue."
:D

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
Avernum had nice explanation about that, allegedly mages did experimentation and cretated funguses that emit light and those that can be used as food for animals and humans/lizards etc, it was in first game.

Nice observation, indeed there is no wood in Underrail, except some small exceptions like the Tommy gun.
That is a small detail that we always need to take into account when creating new assets.
Also, there are oxygen generators in Underrail, we just did not get into the lore of them and there is sadly no gameplay mechanic for low oxygen levels.

Can you use the same thing as "zone control"? That symbol in the top right corner.
Then you can add dunno, another bar like HP or PSI or shield.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:09:24 pm by Fenix »

STEN

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 09:13:59 am »
Can you use the same thing as "zone control"? That symbol in the top right corner.
Then you can add dunno, another bar like HP or PSI or shield.

That would require adding new equipment to work in such areas, like oxigen tanks or regenerative cartriges for gasmask.

Also, let's not get too far into environment lore, As  you think about it more -  this world become  less believable.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:47:49 am »
Avernum had nice explanation about that, allegedly mages did experimentation and cretated funguses that emit light and those that can be used as food for animals and humans/lizards etc, it was in first game.
Is Avernum good? I've been meaning to try it but I take a long time to get to games (took me years to finally play Underrail after hearing about it here and there, haha)

Also, let's not get too far into environment lore, As  you think about it more -  this world become  less believable.
Undoubtedly true, but nitpicking details is so fun :D

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »
Well, Avernum was a game from which I started my adventure in indie games.
After AAA-bullshit like DAO it was great.
Dunno, how it feels now.
First game is a bit too long in the end, last few hours was a mistake.
Second one is the best - game is really huge, and rich.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
I would recommend playing Geneforge saga instead. At least first ones. It's where Spiderweb shined, before Vogel felled in love with Bioware story model

Personally i found both Avernum and Avadon kinda boring and tactically lacking (how much time can you bear fighting same-y group of spiders?). But i didn't play ALL of the games from those series, so maybe i missed something good.

Tolstoi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 02:41:07 am »
Is Avernum good? I've been meaning to try it but I take a long time to get to games (took me years to finally play Underrail after hearing about it here and there, haha)

Undoubtedly true, but nitpicking details is so fun :D

Although it's off topic, I thought the Avernum games were excellent, if very bare-bones compared to comparable "modern" crpgs. They've also been remade twice now from the original series, which was known as "Exile"; Avernum being what they changed it to for both eras of remakes. Each iteration saw the games becoming progressively more streamlined. I know some people that like that and some that don't. Personally I thought the latest ones were just fine, but mileage may vary.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 08:50:06 am »
BoA has Za-Khazy Run or something like that, it has best fights, I won them all and that was really difficult, there was tactics for sure.
It has time limit so you need to go full autist mode - save, then scout ahead for place of interest, and reload to not make wrong moves, that way you will have time for every fight even in remote places,

Twiglard

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »
[...]

That would require adding new equipment to work in such areas, like oxigen tanks or regenerative cartriges for gasmask.

I think there just aren't assets for flora. There are usable mushrooms/flowers (?) that grow on walls. They're there because there's a specific need for that entity to exist. We could assume the areas are habitable without the assets existing, just like cities in RPG's have way too few regular residents, agriculture, etc. (conservation of detail). Walls look bluish to set an appropriate mood to the exclusion of creating a fully believable environment. But then see:
  • Fallout 2 cities barely have residential space
  • Fallout 2 The Den cut residential area
  • Arcanum doesn't have enough agriculture
  • There was originally no toilet in Star Trek's spacecraft
Games took from Chekhov just like movies and television did. Becoming formally aware of the basics of Chekhov's paradigm totally changed the way I perceive movies and tv shows.

Wood can survive for centuries if taken good care of. In one of the neighboring flats there is a proper antique desk, nothing like what you've seen.

What moisture levels are we talking about? I'm curious, doing some material tensile strength research.

I would recommend playing Geneforge saga instead. At least first ones. It's where Spiderweb shined, before Vogel felled in love with Bioware story model

Personally i found both Avernum and Avadon kinda boring and tactically lacking (how much time can you bear fighting same-y group of spiders?). But i didn't play ALL of the games from those series, so maybe i missed something good.

YMMV. Personally I couldn't play Ultima 6, the way it aged. The earlier Avernum games are like that basically. Avernum 6 is fine but it's one of the worse in the series rpgcodex says.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:44:45 pm by sthalik »