Author Topic: More uses for intelligence  (Read 974 times)

Gorgeousmayday

• Noob
    • View Profile
More uses for intelligence
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:17:56 pm »
1. If your character has high enough intelligence, you're allowed to bypass certain puzzles (for e.g. mutagen puzzle, music cipher puzzle etc.).

2. You won't be allowed to do specific quests if you have too high of an intelligence. For example: some pipeworker tells you about a dancing skeleton, that is beating up kids and stealing their teeth and asks you to hunt him down, but your character doesn't believe him, because your character has too high of an intelligence, so because of that you can't do that quest anymore. In other words, your character thinks too rationaly, so he won't believe certain things (e.g. Forsaken Island Behemoth quest, your character would think that it's impossible for such a creature to exist, so you won't be allowed to do the quest, because your character sees it as a waste of time). Also there would be more uses for items or consumables which lower your intelligence. We could also make the opposite true, where if your character has too low of an intelligence,  he wouldn't be able to understand some things, so you would then locked out of certain quests.

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: More uses for intelligence
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:44:40 pm »
Don't you think someone with a high enough intellect would at least have the curiosity to investigate how those scientifically-impossible beliefs came to be? Also, by Clarke's Third Law, any technology left behind by the corporations would be indistinguishable from magic to anyone living in Underrail, so who's to say that even the most intelligent of characters would be immune to magic thinking?

Also, at many points in the game, Intelligence already gives extra clues for how to solve certain quests - I don't think it'd be desirable for a single intelligence check to bypass entire chunks of gameplay entirely.

Street Cutter

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: More uses for intelligence
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:45:12 pm »
I do not think the intelligence stat is viewed as intelligence in a vacuum.
The only thing I think requires modifying in the intelligence stat, and even this is rather debatable, is telling you the number of the check you're making in dialogue. Especially if it has multiple intelligence checks. Sometimes I don't want my character to seem like a complete brainiac, and sometimes I want him to seem like an expert on a given subject.